Bart Scott, "The AFC east has never seen a violent defense" | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bart Scott, "The AFC east has never seen a violent defense"

Jerry deserves some credit, how did Jimmy do in Miami?

Jimmy gets most of the credit but you can't just discredit Jones. He hired Jimmy and fired Landry which was very unpopular in Dallas.

The only credit you can give jerry Jones is that he was the owner and not the GM.

:lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2:

Oops, my mistake. Ozzie has ZERO SB wins. Thanks for pointing that out.

Keep making excuses about Sparano.

Hey don't sell Ozzie short: by the time he too is a senile fossil 20,25 years hence, he might well have more SB rings, appearances, etc. Since 03 ON's gone further into the playoffs and drafted a heck of a lot smarter. The only reason Jerry's still the GM is cause the boss doesn't have the cajones to fire him.

But just because Rex is a chronic reject branching from a coaching tree that droops more than a weeping willow, doesn't mean that he can't grab lighning in a bottle. After all, despite the odds someone wins the Powerball drawing sooner or later :mirror:

Arguing Ryan over Sparano is as ridiculous as comparing Lindsay Lohan's to Meryl Streep's acting prowess.

11vtiki-1.jpg

Jones went w/ an experienced guy who was experienced at never winning playoff games. So that situation was worse, I'd rather go w/ an unknown than a known who has proven he can't do it.

didn't Belichick prove he couldn't do it in Cleveland?

I'm not saying it is the choice I would have made...but he had his reasons and they excluded Sparano from consideration.

Guys, it's all about the superbowls with NYJunc. Therefore we have more superbowl appearances and wins. Dolphins are better than the Jets. Discussion over!

Why didn't Jerry Jones hire Sparano?
Fair question that I think we can reasonably guess that Jones felt that with Jason Garrett (the future HC) handling the offense he needed a defensive minded coach. Phillips is a solid DC and a very logical choice.

I think the more interesting question is why did Ozzie hire Harbaugh over Rex?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jerry Jones: 3 SB titles
Ozzie Newsome: 1 SB title
It is foolish to say Jerry Jones is responsible for those 3 titles and you know it. Jones has not accomplished anything without Jimmy Johnson who built that team. And don't bring in Switzer because I could have coached that talent to the SB. See how rapidly they declined and if it were not for the Raiders and Lions, Jones would be on the throne of the most inept GM in the NFL.

and Ozzie took over the GM job during 11/02, so it's not really an apples to apples comparison. But I forgot, junk loves to selectively pick and choose timeframes as they conveniently suit that woebegone franchise he energetically defends.

Rex needed only to make a natural transition moving up from a DC to a HC. Yet the man who drafted all the Ravens defensive studs and knew him best, went outside for an unproven rookie coach. Unimpressive

Tony on the other hand, would have had to leapfrog over 1 level, doable but less likely. However the best football mind in the Cowboy's recent history, who knew Tony best, after joining our team took a look at Rex and and maybe on the basis of that, confirmed his decision to hire Tony. Impressive.

What do both of those occurences scream out to any impartial fans who haven't drunk the puke-green colored koolaid?

25ajm35-1.jpg
Let's not forget that Sparano was calling the plays the year prior to Jones bringing in Garrett to assume OC duties and future HC. How could he possibly have hired Sparano!

Let's not forget that Sparano was calling the plays the year prior to Jones bringing in Garrett to assume OC duties and future HC. How could he possibly have hired Sparano!

Last year, I posted a recap of 2 interviews I heard in the car - I forget on which of the local stations. This was soon after Tony's signing. One interview was with a long time Dallas sportswriter who stated unequivocally that Tony was considered by the Cowboys to be one of the 3 or 4 best assistants to ever come through their system. The other interview was with their long-time announcer who gushed over Tony declaring that if he owned a team, he wouldn't think twice about handing over its reigns to TS. To me, Ted, that was a cathartic moment when I began to really feel, even more so than think that we'd be in good hands.

Rex, on the other hand, had his resume out on the street or was being mentioned whenever HC openings arose for a couple of years. What does it tell you that the GM who signed Favre (and notice Spielman is getting pretty close to that folly too) was also the only one who took the risk on Ryan??

First you got your analogy backwards: 08/09 Jets = 08 Yankees

Second, with irrefutable stats like these, nothing about the aside from their delusions of past and present grandeur "burns" me.

point_to_link-1.gif

2dv4whj-1.jpg

:goodpost: Sorry Junc :owned1: ..... those stats should remind you who is who.

Last year, I posted a recap of 2 interviews I heard in the car - I forget on which of the local stations. This was soon after Tony's signing. One interview was with a long time Dallas sportswriter who stated unequivocally that Tony was considered by the Cowboys to be one of the 3 or 4 best assistants to ever come through their system. The other interview was with their long-time announcer who gushed over Tony declaring that if he owned a team, he wouldn't think twice about handing over its reigns to TS. To me, Ted, that was a cathartic moment when I began to really feel, even more so than think that we'd be in good hands.

Rex, on the other hand, had his resume out on the street or was being mentioned whenever HC openings arose for a couple of years. What does it tell you that the GM who signed Favre (and notice Spielman is getting pretty close to that folly too) was also the only one who took the risk on Ryan??
I agree 100 percent. The Ryan brother's have been in a position to be hired as HC for several years but the rumors are that teams don't want to run the risk of getting Buddy Jr. Looks like the Jets have proven those rumors true. Brother Rob is paying the price for Rex's shennanigan's.

Last edited by a moderator:
No just the mindset of a fan(our fans do it too). last year Calvin Pace was the next big thing when you thought you were signing him, the minute he signed w/ us he was not worth the money, a terrible player,...
A lot of Dolphin fanson here wanted to sign Bart Scott.

Yes we wanted Calvin Pace at the right price, but then You guys ended up bending over and overpaying as usual.

So ya he would have been a good pick up if cheap, but at your price F*Ck no.

Then again last year i was conteplating whether I wanted the Fins to draft Gholston. /snicker so glad we didnt.
Chubbs
Hypocrite, the Dolphins were offering around the same. And I'm glad we signed Calvin Pace, he has turned out to be a stud. Would of had over 10 sacks last year if it wasn't for Mangini dropping him into coverage all the time. Hes athletic enough to cover, but hes best at run stuffing and pass rushing.

Hypocrite, the Dolphins were offering around the same.

Where the proof? Regardless, he signed with your team for an amount that was significantly higher that we felt comfortable with offering....

And I'm glad we signed Calvin Pace, he has turned out to be a stud. Would of had over 10 sacks last year if it wasn't for Mangini dropping him into coverage all the time. Hes athletic enough to cover, but hes best at run stuffing and pass rushing.

I'm glad that you are happy with the signing. The AFC championship and cap space were more important to have than Pace. :tongue:

Super Bowl Titles
Miami 2
NY Jets 1

Last SB won:
Miami 1973
NY Jets 1968

Congratulations, you are an elite NFL franchise:lol:

Why don't you compare number of last place finishes? Number of top 5 draft picks? Number of losing seasons?

Back
Top Bottom