Best School in Florida? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best School in Florida?

TerryTate said:
What is the definition of "good" for FIU? If by "good" you mean national championship contender....you're talking more like a generation. Now if "Good" means going 7-5 in the Sun-Belt Conference and winning an automatic bid to the New Orleans Bowl or one of the low-profile bowls...then 6-8 years is a realistic timetable for a "good" season. Anything else, FIU would need to grow massively and get out of the Sun Belt Conference.

I was just trying to understand the reasoning behind the "6-8 years to be good" timetable, I don't see the logic behind it. I see what your saying, kinda hard to compare USF, UCF, FIU, etc.... with the likes of UF, FSU, and UM when we're talking very different levels of competition and conferences.

Honestly, UM has the darkest future. Coker went berserk in the off season, firing friggin everyone. Recruiting class was the worst of the big 3 in Florida. And.... UM lost to the ACC CHAMPIONS Florida State Seminoles.

Motion said:
I was just trying to understand the reasoning behind the "6-8 years to be good" timetable, I don't see the logic behind it. I see what your saying, kinda hard to compare USF, UCF, FIU, etc.... with the likes of UF, FSU, and UM when we're talking very different levels of competition and conferences.

Well in 6-8 years they should be more competitive and they could make it in one of the lesser bowl games as for bieng compared to Florida's big 3, thats going to take a while.

NorthFloridaFin said:
This is my opinion, and this is coming from a Seminole Fan. The only way you could judge who was the best school right now would be to stack up their head to head matches right now against each other. That school would have to be Miami, as much as I hate to say it. Before last year, they beat us 6 times in a row, and they absolutely owned Florida the previous times they played them.

Regardless of what has happened to it's Program the last few years, Miami is still heads and shoulders above the other 2 major schools in Florida.

But the only way you could truly say who was the best is if we all played each other every year. So until Florida quits scheduling NE Louisiana and Wyoming and those other non-conference teams and replaces them with Miami, you can't say it's Florida. When was the last time they even won their own conference.
Well said. I think Miami and Florida play each other again in 2008 and 2013, unless they meet in a bowl game prior to that.:cool:

Jaydog57 said:
Well said. I think Miami and Florida play each other again in 2008 and 2013, unless they meet in a bowl game prior to that.:cool:

Jaydog!!!!! Hit me up sucka! It's been a while man.

NorthFloridaFin said:
This is my opinion, and this is coming from a Seminole Fan. The only way you could judge who was the best school right now would be to stack up their head to head matches right now against each other. That school would have to be Miami, as much as I hate to say it. Before last year, they beat us 6 times in a row, and they absolutely owned Florida the previous times they played them.

Regardless of what has happened to it's Program the last few years, Miami is still heads and shoulders above the other 2 major schools in Florida.

But the only way you could truly say who was the best is if we all played each other every year. So until Florida quits scheduling NE Louisiana and Wyoming and those other non-conference teams and replaces them with Miami, you can't say it's Florida. When was the last time they even won their own conference.

From what I have heard the reason why the gators don't comes down to the SEC and money. Anyway almost all big schools sched. bad non-conference teams a least once a season.

What has Florida done that makes them better than the U? They didn't even have a great season last year and you want to put them ahead of the U because they have another flavor of the month coach in the press?

Until Urban proves it on the field, you can't annoit him the next savior. He's got some momentum and Doc Holliday does that stupid "Gator wake up call" to recruits in his database every morning, but Ron Zook had very highly rated recruiting classes as well and you saw how that turned out. That vaunted offense of Meyer's? Middle of the pack.

Until proven otherwise, it's STILL all about this U!

Kev83 said:
True, Florida isn't the "beast of Florida college football."

Florida ranks 50th as far as academic standards go, Miami 55.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/natudoc/tier1/t1natudoc_brief.php

Florida is also more selective, overall, than many schools. I've found this true among many people receiving Master's.
I know someone who made a GRE 400 on verbal and still got accepted into Miami's Master's Dept. for English.

While I understand what you're saying with this link, some of the criteria used in ranking their colleges are pretty meaningless as to how good the education is. Alumni giving rank? Avg. alumni giving rank? Acceptance rank (debateable)? Student/faculty ratio (wouldn't quality > quantity)?

Overperf./under perf.? Come on, that doesn't equate for the level of education they did, or did not, receive from their previous school.

Plus, athletic powerhouses graduation rates are going to be lower due to the number of students leaving their sports early every year, especially football and baseball. With the transfer rates in college baseball and the drafting of juniors, as low as a 25% graduation rate from top-tier programs is not uncommon.

Not a Dolphan said:
Honestly, UM has the darkest future. Coker went berserk in the off season, firing friggin everyone. Recruiting class was the worst of the big 3 in Florida. And.... UM lost to the ACC CHAMPIONS Florida State Seminoles.

Miami's defense this year is said to be their "best ever". Kyle Wright will have a year under his belt...T Moss is coming back from his injury, and we have two first round TE's.

Let me tell you who we fired....
Dan Werner - the worst offensive mind in the history of football, and he was replaced by Rich Olson, a former offensive coordinator under Erickson here at the U, and was coaching QB's for the Vikings this past year.

Art Kehoe - our offensive line lost us games this year...plain and simple. Replaced by Cristobal who was considered for a number of offensive coordinator positions in college football. An up and comer who brings fresh blood to a bigger position than his previous one.

Don Soldinger - don't understand why we fired him because our RB's have been pretty damn solid from Edgerrin to McGahee, but we're so stacked at RB, it doesn't matter who's coaching them.

I think we fired the LB coach too...but anyway, my point is, our team is not worse off for the firings, we're much, much better off. I'm really excited about our team this year. I've already put money on us winning the NC. Good betting odds.

TerryTate said:
Yea, the first time they ever played. Then they snapped their streak. Then they had an amazing year. Then, they actually SHOWED UP in their first ever bowl game, while USF got shut out.

The Big East has about as much potential for a powerhouse football conference as Jay Fiedler has to be a perennial pro-bowler. The Big East is just benefiting from an awful system that hopefully is reformed sooner, rather than later.

UCF hosts USF at the Citrus Bowl this year, let's see what happens.

Let me also add that no one from USF was even drafted this year. On top of that, how many USFers that are not scrubs are in the NFL?

It doesn't matter what the Big East's potential is, as long as they are a major conference the teams in that conference will bring in big money. And big money equals better facilities, equals better recruits. I don't think USF is that good right now, but they qualified for a bowl which is pretty amazing. With all the talent in Florida, I wouldn't be surprised to see them gunning down WVU and Louisville in 4-5 years for a BCS spot.

Meanwhile UCF has to have a perfect season to be considered for a BCS spot.

Miami is going to be FAR better than last year, Kyle Wright is a big time QB and as long as the O-line blocks Miami will finish in the top 10, possibly top 5, maybe even #2 with a few breaks

FSU...doesnt scare me like in past years

Florida is for real

My national championship prediction

Florida vs Miami with Miami winning by 3, after Florida turns the ball over on their final drive trying to win the game

thats just wishful thinking though :lol:

Alex44 said:
Miami is going to be FAR better than last year, Kyle Wright is a big time QB and as long as the O-line blocks Miami will finish in the top 10, possibly top 5, maybe even #2 with a few breaks

FSU...doesnt scare me like in past years

Florida is for real

My national championship prediction

Florida vs Miami with Miami winning by 3, after Florida turns the ball over on their final drive trying to win the game

thats just wishful thinking though :lol:

Florida would be extremely lucky to sneak into the BCS as an at-large. They're not going to be talented/well-coached enough to win the powerful SEC this year. LSU, Auburn, and Georgia are going to be the class of the SEC this year.

kpcane said:
Florida would be extremely lucky to sneak into the BCS as an at-large. They're not going to be talented/well-coached enough to win the powerful SEC this year. LSU, Auburn, and Georgia are going to be the class of the SEC this year.

When I see Florida I see one thing I dont see in the others....a really good QB, the other teams can hold their own but I see Florida as the favorite just because of Leak

kpcane said:

Well, we have beaten geogia 7 times out of the last 8 years and even though we have lost to LSU the last two years it still will be a close game. The auburn game should be killer as well. Another great SEC year.

Alex44 said:
When I see Florida I see one thing I dont see in the others....a really good QB, the other teams can hold their own but I see Florida as the favorite just because of Leak

I actually think Leak is the worst of the 3 QB's. He just doesn't fit their offense at all. He also makes bizarre decisions, is streaky, and hasn't really improved.

Leak also has the least amount of potential between the 3 IMO.

Back
Top Bottom