Bleacher Report: Kevin Kolb could be Phins QB in 2011 | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bleacher Report: Kevin Kolb could be Phins QB in 2011

I was a huge proponent against a Kolb to Miami trade, however in thinking more about it perhaps it isn't such a bad idea. I mean Kolb certainly is much better than Henne. His arm is just as strong, he is more accurate, and he is more fluid in the pocket. Just because past regimes have failed miserably in the, trading for a QB department, is that enough of a case to simply give up trying? I do not think so. Just because everyone of our QB's have flopped, doesn't necessarily mean we should stop trying to trade for one. Not saying Kolb is our man, but he is certainly an upgrade over Henne.

Just because past regimes have failed miserable in the trading for a QB department, is that enough of a case to simply give up trying?

No, we have to keep trying until we get one. This is a league of the "haves" and the "have nots." How long it takes you to get one may be a point of ridicule, but once you get one you can laugh all the way to the playoffs.

I am just trying to look at the big picture and see what our best options are heading into 2011. Look at the teams who have drafted their franchise QB's in the past few years:

Atlanta - Matt Ryan - The team is dominating the NFC and could be a SB team this year.
Baltimore - Joe Flacco - Another very good team on both sides of the ball, great defense and Ray Rice also helps.
St. Louis - Sam Bradford - The team is improving and in good hands with Bradford.
Detroit - Matt Stafford - Even though Stafford got hurt, the Lions have improved and are no longer a doormat.
Tampa Bay - Freeman - Seems to be their franchise QB.
NY Jets - Mark Sanchez - He may or may not be their franchise QB, but so far he has done a good job, like it or not.

We keep wasting 2nd round picks and making bad deals trying to bring in our franchise QB and until we get it right we are going to be an average team. The great teams all have their QB in place.

I really don't want us to trade for him, even though he might be a slight upgrade to Henne

Don't know if this has been said already but I'll be HIGHLY PISSED if we sent ANOTHER high draft pick to Philly for their back up QB. That trade still lingers in my head.

Bro, a knife isn't at our throat forcing us to draft a QB in the first round.

This is how people end up unhappy in everyday normal life. People "settle" instead of making a real investment into their future. And that's how people end up buried under mounds of debt.

Same principles apply here in the NFL. We can't just draft the scraps we're left with just because we need it. That's not the answer. Now we're REALLY throwing rock hard turds at the wall hoping it will stick. We invested into Chad Henne because he was a bargain and he was there. It's not what we really wanted. It's not even close to what we needed. And Cam Newton is no different.

I'm a BIG Cam Newton fan. I've enjoyed watching him this season. But he's not NFL material. He has made poor life decisions and those are judgment calls. Trust me, that carries over to the field of play. I can't trust my multi-million dollar franchise in the hands of a guy who has displayed poor judgment off the field. Things like that have come back to bite teams in the *** more often than not. Cam Newton is a SUPERSTAR. He has been the biggest, most athletic, and easily the best player at every single level he has ever played on. And when you're that kind of player, you never have to work for it because you're so dominate. So I wonder about your work ethic because we ALL know that Cam Newton will not walk onto an NFL field and dominate the way he does in college. Not happening. JaMarcus Russell was another guy who was just bigger, stronger and faster than everyone else. JaMarcus always had his work ethic called into question. I'm not saying Cam Newton does or will have a poor work ethic, but it is a question that I would want to know the answer to before drafting him even in the 7th round.

Cam Newton is a VERY high risk, medium reward guy. He's not even a high reward guy because guys with his ability at QB usually end up as average QB's in the league. Mike Vick is the exception. Mike Vick falls into the 1% category. Mike Vick is elite. And Mike Vick was viewed as a risky draft pick.

It is not worth it for us to wager everything on the back of Cam Newton.

JaMarcus Russell has never been faster than anyone. He was a statue at QB in college and the nfl. I've never heard anyone call JaMarcus Russell a generational athletic talent in college. I've heard that and more said about Cam Newton.....He may be raw but the tools are all there and his ceiling is sky high. I'm an SEC guy and was rarely wowed by JaMarcus I also watched Cam play every game this year and my jaw was constantly on the floor. You don't have to search for a highlight type play from Cam (run or pass) they happen all game every game. That said he'll be long gone by the time we pick. If we could pull Devlin in the third to compete with Chad I'd be satisfied. Devlin has a pretty snappy release. Please no more retread cast off QB's.

I rather bring David Woodley from the grave to start QB, than have Henne, next year.

Kevin Kolb hasn't played enough to make an honest comparison between him and Henne. This is a lateral move at best, I would be very opposed to actually wasting a draft pick to trade for an unproven QB without starting experience. Philadelphia already tricked us into taking AJ Feeley and now all of you guys are falling for it again!

I know its easy to blame Henne for our disappointing season but I'm totally against this scapegoating crap.

Henne? He'll still be a Dolphin only if Ross wants to go for three consecutive 7-9 seasons.
Regardless, we aren't going to sign any big QB names- we simply have too many other needs to address in free agency such as resigning Soliai and figuring out what to do with our interior line and RBs. Also, regardless of what people on this board may think, teams don't swap players on a whim in real life.

This leaves the possibility of drafting a QB, which is certainly possible, especially in the later rounds. Assuming that we do draft a QB, there is nobody in the draft besides Luck who could be ready to take over this offense that quickly. They would likely compete with Henne for the starting job throughout the season (if they were good).

That is why Chad Henne WILL be our starter on opening day next year.

Kevin Kolb hasn't played enough to make an honest comparison between him and Henne. This is a lateral move at best, I would be very opposed to actually wasting a draft pick to trade for an unproven QB without starting experience. Philadelphia already tricked us into taking AJ Feeley and now all of you guys are falling for it again!

I know its easy to blame Henne for our disappointing season but I'm totally against this scapegoating crap.

Kolb has played in less games and still has out played Henne, statistically speaking. Henne has never threw 3 TD's or more in a game, Kevin Kolb has. I think Kolb definitely has potential to be a good QB in this league, hes comfortable in the pocket (unlike Henne) and he doesnt stare down WR's (unlike Henne) Kolb is tough and has good leadership. I'd love to have him here in Miami, he'd definitely be an upgrade over Henne

As far as Kolb is concerned it all comes down to price. I would be willing to bring anyone in for the right price. Look Kolb has shown potential but he is also playing in the Philly system which favors QBs. I am not sure what the best answer is for us at QB but I know for sure we need to bring someone in who can compete with Henne.

Kolb will look just as bad as Henne in Miami. You have to consider the amazing QB coaching and ability to utilize talents they have in Philly. That is why Feely and McNabb sucked after they left and is why Kolb will have the same fate. The only way we should take Kolb is if we take Mornhinweg along with him.

Back
Top Bottom