Boo-ers read this. Saban's column on miamidolphins.com | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boo-ers read this. Saban's column on miamidolphins.com

ckparrothead said:
I know this may be an unpopular thing to say, but leave it to Nick Saban to have such a big ego as to think that the fans who pay his salary, also work for him.

Listen I see what he is saying and I see what ya'll are saying and yes, it does help the football team when the fans are supportive and do not boo the team, etc. Buffalo's a great example, if everyone starts booing mercilessly maybe we don't make that comeback.

But the fans don't attend games to help the team win games. The fans attend games to watch their team win. Saban is forgetting who exactly is paying who, here.

If I like to shop at Wal-Mart, and am a big fan of the store, and I buy something defective, I'm still taking it straight back to the customer service counter and getting my refund. Would I listen to a Wal-Mart CEO try and tell me that if I like the store and like shopping there, please stop taking defective items back for refunds? Heck no.

So in short, fans do whatever it is they feel like doing. That's their god-given right. They pay money for a product. If they are unhappy with the product they can certainly voice their displeasure over it if they want...as long as they realize that simply voicing their displeasure makes turning that bad product into a good product just a little bit harder than if they cheered for the team unconditionally as if they were competing at the Special Olympics (where you're a winner as long as you just try hard).

Glad to see I am not the only one who feels this way. I always get a kick out of being told (not that I was there or booing) what is ok and what is not ok.

If I go the game, pay $50 or so for the tickets, another $50 or so on concessions, I'll do as I see fit. If the team sucks, I might boo. If they aren't prepared properly, I might boo the coach.

In anycase, I'll do as I see fit, not as some coach or player or other fan sees fit. Everyone is entitled to voiced their opinions about the team, not just those who are drinking rose-tasting Kool-aid.

I'm taking a different perspective on this.

Lets take the Toronto Maple Leafs in the NHL, this team could be the worst in the league and will sell out every game. Reason being people are passionate, but if this team is playing bad they will boo them. The city will let them know how they are dissapointing the fans.

I'm the same way in Calgary, I'm a season ticket holder there and you bet I boo when the team is not performing, you know why because I'm mad and upset that there not putting in there best effort. I'm passionate, and I want to see a good performance from the team.

I expect the same for everywhere, I'm glad when fans boo when there is a legitamate reason and losing 23-3 to a terrible bills team last year, was a reason to boo. We weren't playing pitts or indy, we were playing the terrible jills and being blown out at home. If I was there I would have boo'd as well

Saban should worry about his players and not the fans, we pay, we will voice our opinion if we feel like it

So in conclusion, I'm a "PASSIONATE FAN" who doesn't take losing well. Win/play well and I will shutup, Lose terribly to terrible teams and I will BOO!!!!!!

Either way I still watch every game, hoping for a win no matter what our record is

WOW! I wouldn't think such an innocuous article would incite such disparity. I honestly do not see the harm in Saban asking the fans to be supportive. Does that mean you cannot boo if that's what you want to do? Of course not. Some of you are acting like you are personally offended by Saban asking this of you. You can boo if you want to, he won't come after you. And he hasn't said that you can't. He's simply stating that vocally supporting the team helps them win.

Someone wrote that he is being egotistical by asking this. I'm sorry, but..."HUH"? You make it sound like he said "You had better not boo, or you're in trouble". He didn't. And to use your analogy of Walmart. If that same CEO said to you, "Hey, you like our store. If you would recommend it to a friend, in the long run that would help us reduce prices", would you then turn to him, tell him he's egotistical and refuse to do it? Probably not. You'll either do it or not and I doubt you'd be personally offended for being asked.
[DolFan Dan is offline] [Report Bad Post] [Reply With Quote] [Quick reply to this message]
great post .Couldnt have said it any better.

I stayed the whole game, Nick, never even thought of leaving.
I've never booed the team either, even when it would have been justified.

No, I don't work for the Dolphins. I'm a supporter of the Dolphins and I agree with coach Saban when he says that the crowd should be supporting the team and making it hard for the opposition. Our team will have a better chance, however small, of winning if we cheer for them and support them.

BLITZKRIEG said:
If you can prove that, fine. But if not, it's just your opinion....

Personally, when I feel the team needs a swift kick in the ***, I think booing helps them. If they're playing poorly, the best way to motivate is not to go soft on them. Do any of you think that after a bad half of play, Saban takes the players into the lockeroom, and proceeds to give them milk and cookies???...

Hell no, more than likely they get their ***** chewed out!!!....

So it's okay for Saban to do it behind closed doors, but it's not alright for the fans to do it at all??....even when it's well deserved???....PLEASE.

PHINZ RULE!!!!

I cant say for sure but I'm pretty sure Saban doesn't just go in the lockerroom and say "Well you guys are playing like crap.......Boo", I am sure he gets in their butts and gives them an earfull all while telling them how to fix what they are doing wrong.

If booing is helpful, then why do fans boo the other team?? To help them?? Please. yourself.

FiN.in.RI said:
Absolutely.

Also, I would like to add that equating money into the equation is pure BS.

Whoever said that there is a cultural difference was on the right track, apparently. It's very different up here in terms of sports fandom.

I lived in S. Fl. for about 28 years. I've been to countless games. I even worked as an usher for the team when I couldn't afford to pay for the tickets. After every loss on the walk down the ramps you'd hear the fans complaining about how this coach or player sucks or should be cut/fired. I assumed it was the same everywhere until I went to a Gator game in Gainesville. The Gators got their butt kicked, but as the fans filed out they were all singing "it's great to be a Florida Gator". You might think that's just the cultural difference between college and pro, but the Cane's fans act exactly like the Fin's fans so I'm inclined to think it's the area.

A fanatic envisions himself as part of the team. If your attitude is "they are there for my entertainment and if they don't play well I'll go spend my time somewhere else" then you are by definition a fair-weather fan. Most of my friends in S. Fl. and the rest of my family (who still lives in S. Fl.) are fair-weather fans. I'm sure there are many great fans in the area, but the % doesn't seem very high. There just doesn't seem to be that sense of community that some areas have around their team. So when other fans call Miami fans fair-weathered my impression is that it's generally true.

rafael said:
I lived in S. Fl. for about 28 years. I've been to countless games. I even worked as an usher for the team when I couldn't afford to pay for the tickets. After every loss on the walk down the ramps you'd hear the fans complaining about how this coach or player sucks or should be cut/fired. I assumed it was the same everywhere until I went to a Gator game in Gainesville. The Gators got their butt kicked, but as the fans filed out they were all singing "it's great to be a Florida Gator". You might think that's just the cultural difference between college and pro, but the Cane's fans act exactly like the Fin's fans so I'm inclined to think it's the area.

A fanatic envisions himself as part of the team. If your attitude is "they are there for my entertainment and if they don't play well I'll go spend my time somewhere else" then you are by definition a fair-weather fan. Most of my friends in S. Fl. and the rest of my family (who still lives in S. Fl.) are fair-weather fans. I'm sure there are many great fans in the area, but the % doesn't seem very high. There just doesn't seem to be that sense of community that some areas have around their team. So when other fans call Miami fans fair-weathered my impression is that it's generally true.
I never believed it either until I came on this message board.

Shamboubou said:
If booing is helpful, then why do fans boo the other team?? To help them?? Please. yourself.

Booing isn't really meant to do anything, it's simply a way of expressing an emotion. In this case, displeasure....

I don't yell "YOU SUCK!!!" or "YOU GUYS ARE BUMS!!!", so I boo. Along with countless others who attend the games, and express their emotions the same way that I choose to....

Nobody can say someone who boo's is any less of a fan. The reason we boo is because we care in the first place, and that is why we feel the need to vent our displeasure when it's due....

You certainly wont find me clapping when we throw a pick, and it's run back for a TD, you'll see me booing. I respect your opinion, and your way is your way. I just don't support the Phinz, Heat, or any other local sports team the same way you do. When I see something that deserves criticism, I don't hesitate to let it be known when it comes to being a fan....

PHINZ RULE!!!

rafael said:

You've obviously never been to an Eagles game in Philly. Let me tell ya, they have a jail and court room iside the stadium because their fans need it. I don't think unhappy fin fans is an exclusive club. Besides nearly evey year the Gators are in position to go to a bowl game. Maimi hasn't won anything in thirty years. I'm not making excuses for the some fans poor attitude, but losing gets old and DW's piss poor coaching tends to get to ya sooner or later. We still have fans that remember Wannys piss poor excuse for a team and it will take time to change that mindset, Saban is trying to change it. I like what Saban is doing, he looks for every advantage he can find it's exactly what you want from a coach. The players also see him making every effort to win and it rubs off. Hell I'd do naked handstands on the fifty yard line if it gave us a better chance to win.

FiN.in.RI said:
I never believed it either until I came on this message board.

I actually think that the percentage of fans who care about the team is much higher on this message board than in the community at large. As far as message boards go I see this as a fairly civil place. Sure, we have our share of idiots, but in general there is a sense of community here. People who are rude don't tend stay around as long. I don't, however, think that this sense of community (around the team) is very prevalent outside of this message board.

BLITZKRIEG said:
Booing isn't really meant to do anything, it's simply a way of expressing an emotion. In this case, displeasure....

I don't yell "YOU SUCK!!!" or "YOU GUYS ARE BUMS!!!", so I boo. Along with countless others who attend the games, and express their emotions the same way that I choose to....

Nobody can say someone who boo's is any less of a fan. The reason we boo is because we care in the first place, and that is why we feel the need to vent our displeasure when it's due....

You certainly wont find me clapping when we throw a pick, and it's run back for a TD, you'll see me booing. I respect your opinion, and your way is your way. I just don't support the Phinz, Heat, or any other local sports team the same way you do. When I see something that deserves criticism, I don't hesitate to let it be known when it comes to being a fan....

PHINZ RULE!!!

I know that you are a very big fan, you have great TC reports and everything. In no way does booing make you any less of a fan. But my whole question to booing is what does it get you? Usually you express an emotion to elicit a responce. When a player makes a great play for a TD you cheer to give that player thanks and make the feel good about what they just did.

We agree to disagree, like you said we both have our different ways of showing criticism. I'm not saying your wrong or right, just that I disagree.

feelthepain said:
You've obviously never been to an Eagles game in Philly. Let me tell ya, they have a jail and court room iside the stadium because their fans need it. I don't think unhappy fin fans is an exclusive club. Besides nearly evey year the Gators are in position to go to a bowl game. Maimi hasn't won anything in thirty years. I'm not making excuses for the some fans poor attitude, but losing gets old.

I've heard the horror stories and I don't think that Miami is the only pro team with fair-weather fans. I've been to a few Niner games out here and they leave early too.

And by the way when I went to that Gator game it was pre-Spurrier. At that point the school had never won even one SEC title. They were not the perennial powerhouse they are now. So, the losing gets old argument actually supports the fair-weather fan position. Remember, the Dolphins are one of the most successful teams in NFL history.

yeah, upon further consideration

I have never really understood booing your team. I mean I have seen some debacles, especially with Ray Lucas at the helm, but I'd sooner shut the game off or leave the stadium than boo my team. Dolphins Loyalist

Thumper54 said:
I have never really understood booing your team. I mean I have seen some debacles, especially with Ray Lucas at the helm, but I'd sooner shut the game off or leave the stadium than boo my team. Dolphins Loyalist

Personally, booing doesn't make me question a person's fanaticism. I see it as a classless act, but that's seperate from fanaticism.

BLITZKRIEG said:

PHINZ RULE!!!

How would you feel if you worked very hard to do your job well and every time you made a mistake everyone in your office booed you? Would you start to feel nervous and too focused on being perfect because everyone was watching you just waiting for you to mess up? And how do you think that would effect your performance?

Would you take your kid to one of his games and boo him every time he did something wrong? Do you think that pressure would make him better or make him terrified to make a mistake?

I think it is very counterproductive to boo. The whole idea that Saban puts forward is to move on to the next play, clear your mind of a bad play and move forward to the next. That isn't so easy to do if you feel 70,000 people breathing down your neck grinding your mistake home. Why would you want to make it more likely that a player continues to make mistakes just so you can feel better and relieved of your frustration?

Boo if you want to, but at least understand that it does nothing but make the person being booed more insecure and likely to mess up more. Just think about how it would make you feel if that was the way you were treated at your job.

Back
Top Bottom