Bookend Tedd Ginn Jr.? How about trading him and drafting Percy Harvin | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bookend Tedd Ginn Jr.? How about trading him and drafting Percy Harvin

Since, as everyone says, WRs take 3 years to develope (Even though that's horse crap) that would make 6 years without a #1 WR. Nah.

TG is coming along and, I'm not opposed to letting him play out his contract. He's contributing and, he won't be on the NFL's drug program next year, unlike Harvin.

goonboss

horse crap, I don't' think so
conventional wisdom (coaching) dictates it takes 2 to 3 years to develop a WR in the NFL out of college
which means our stable in general is just coming of age:up:

Since, as everyone says, WRs take 3 years to develope (Even though that's horse crap) that would make 6 years without a #1 WR. Nah.

TG is coming along and, I'm not opposed to letting him play out his contract. He's contributing and, he won't be on the NFL's drug program next year, unlike Harvin.

Hmmm, didn't we just have Chambers before Ginn, since Ginn played with him in his first year, it's only 2 1/2 without a true #1. That's provided Ginn becomes that #1 player.. hope the kid is putting on a lot of upper body muscle to fight those online scrimages with corners.. If he gets off the LOS cleanly, he puts pressure on a secondary after that. I don't know..TO spent his first 2 years developing, he had J. Rice as a shield, J. Rice took 2 years, Boldin and the kid from the Saints are some of the fastest adapting WR's I've seen recently as Rookies..even Lee Evans took the full 3 years..and he's still not really considered elite, even thought I have a lot of respect for him.. Now that TO's there, he has a chance this year to become special.. one of them will get the one on one, and if edwards can find them...look out. I just think Ginn's limited by Chad's ability to throw the really deep bomb..

goonboss

horse crap, I don't' think so
conventional wisdom (coaching) dictates it takes 2 to 3 years to develop a WR in the NFL out of college
which means our stable in general is just coming of age:up:

I didn't say SOME WRs don't need 3 years to develop. Some do. That's not under dispute. There are also WRs who come in right away and contribute at an all pro level, so, to say that all WRs need 3 years to develop is wrong.

Conventional wisdom has let people down more than once. Conventional wisdom would've doomed Edison, the Wrights, Louis Pasture, Madame Curie, Conventional wisdom said that a small upstart group of colonies couldn't wrest control of their destinty from the most dominant colonial powers the modern world has seen.

Conventional wisdom would say that the single wing would have no chance of success in the NFL. I don't put much stock in conventional wisdom, because conventional wisdom dictated there was no way for a team to come from a 1-15 record to win the AFC East title.

Conventional wisdom in coaching at one time was that water just slowed you down in practice and made you cramp up. Conventional wisdom in coaching used to be that concussions just mean a guy "Got his bell rung" and he should rub some dirt on it and get on back in there. Following conventional wisdom in coaching, we would not have the forward pass.

Is our WR Corps just coming of age? Well, let's hope so. I'd like nothing more for that to be true. Niether you or I know that it will happen one way or the other.

Hmmm, didn't we just have Chambers before Ginn, since Ginn played with him in his first year, it's only 2 1/2 without a true #1. That's provided Ginn becomes that #1 player.. hope the kid is putting on a lot of upper body muscle to fight those online scrimages with corners.. If he gets off the LOS cleanly, he puts pressure on a secondary after that. I don't know..TO spent his first 2 years developing, he had J. Rice as a shield, J. Rice took 2 years, Boldin and the kid from the Saints are some of the fastest adapting WR's I've seen recently as Rookies..even Lee Evans took the full 3 years..and he's still not really considered elite, even thought I have a lot of respect for him.. Now that TO's there, he has a chance this year to become special.. one of them will get the one on one, and if edwards can find them...look out. I just think Ginn's limited by Chad's ability to throw the really deep bomb..

As I said in a previous post..I didn't say that SOME WRs take three years to develop. And yes, I stand corrected on the 6 Year figgure. You are correct with the 2 1/2. I was merely extrapilating out the figgures if we traded TG and drafted Harvin...Who, presumeably would also take three years to develop....Etc etc.

Also, if you see, I supported keeping Ginn. He's actually not produceing badly for his cap hit, and if he can get better, well, that's going to bode well. Niether of us know if that'll happen.

I agree, I HIGHLY doubt we'll be getting rid of Ginn for Harvin. However, the number of receivers that "get it" in year three vs. the number that don't require as much time has historically ended in a landslide for the former. And BTW, Harvin will not be in the substance abuse program this year (unless he fails a drug test once he is drafted/signed). He failed a drug test at the combine, and since he is not yet an NFL player, CBA and Players Union rules do not yet apply to him.

I can't remember Bill Parcells ever drafting a WR w/ his first pick of the draft. Don't think it will begin in 2009

Yeah i doubt that too, but if we draft Percy Harvin that i think means Ginn is on the outs because they are the same player.

Why would the Dolphins get rid of a player and then pay more for his replacement that has the a similar skill set to Ginn but much worse weaknesses?

I agree, I HIGHLY doubt we'll be getting rid of Ginn for Harvin. However, the number of receivers that "get it" in year three vs. the number that don't require as much time has historically ended in a landslide for the former. And BTW, Harvin will not be in the substance abuse program this year (unless he fails a drug test once he is drafted/signed). He failed a drug test at the combine, and since he is not yet an NFL player, CBA and Players Union rules do not yet apply to him.

"He" failed is just a rumor. The drug test results will be posted the 20th. Just like with Nagi, results have to be released to be relevant, and everything else is BS. I would never support trading Ginn for anybody, Harvin has an elusiveness that does not come along very often. Who ever gets him will be happy.

Honestly if we could get a high 2nd round pick for Ginn I'd consider it. But less than that no. In for a penny, in for a pound. He hasn't played badly enough to be cut and we wouldn't get decent enough value for him in a trade. If he doesn't pick it up this year then he's probably a goner. I'd love for him to fumble less, do better on special teams and get more yards after the catch. But for Teddy it seems he's just speed. He doesn't seem to have the moves to escape pursuit. I really want that #9 pick back. Sigh.

Yeah i doubt that too, but if we draft Percy Harvin that i think means Ginn is on the outs because they are the same player.
Just because they're both fast doesn't mean they're the same player. Percy Harvin played running back half the time at Florida and is a very similar player to Reggie Bush. Ginn is more of a straight up wide receiver than Harvin. Harvin may be more quick and agile but he isn't as good of a pass catcher as Ginn.

Just because they're both fast doesn't mean they're the same player. Percy Harvin played running back half the time at Florida and is a very similar player to Reggie Bush. Ginn is more of a straight up wide receiver than Harvin. Harvin may be more quick and agile but he isn't as good of a pass catcher as Ginn.
Im just lettin you in on a little hint, Ginn = Harvin. Except Harvin will win the coaches favor because he would be brought in by the trifecta just like Henne over Beck. Grove over Satele. Fasano over Martin.

Back
Top Bottom