Braylon Edwards is our pick | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Braylon Edwards is our pick

MelbournePhin said:
I fully expect all three areas to be addressed in FA and the draft.

WR is OK if we keep D-bO. we need to focus on D-line, O-line and RB
Read the original post please....This has already been covered in the scenario we're talking about.

As far as trading down goes, I'm against it because the chance to pick this high doesn't come around very often for this team. Get one of the best players in the draft, preferably a quarterback. Don't trade down and settle for less than the best.

As far as David Boston goes. He's not a guarantee, and it would be foolish to count on him. Anything he gives the team will be gravy, but Miami cannot count on having him. Prepare for the worst, and if Boston is here, the team will be just that much deeper.

I like the idea of a big QB in the first round to push Feeley. Either Rodgers or Smith would be great for short term if they can compete. QB is where it's got to start. After that, if a top notch RB is available, then we have to take him. The FA and later rounds should be used to search for OL help.

MelbournePhin said:
my bad. i basically just skimmed throught the post
It's okay.....I agree that we need RB and o-line...less o-line than RB but.....

we have youth that can develop at both positions, and, like I said , I fully expect more players to be added there but, the part of our offense that is the oldest is WR...and with David Boston being a HUGE question mark....It would make a lot of sense to take a player that may truly be worth the number two pick such as Braylon Edwards (not saying he's the only one worthy of the pick) especially when you consider the NFL trending towards making the WRs bigger weapons with the tighter illegal contact rules.

A three wide set of Chambers Edwards and Booker would scare the crap out of most teams.

If Nick Saban is willing to give Ricky Williams another chance to join the roster, then I'm willing to bet he's willing to give David Boston a shot too. If David Boston comes back, Chambers, Boston, and Booker, that right there is your "explosive offense" and no need to waste the #2 pick on another WR.

I'm all for trading the pick, or getting a QB, or a RB. We need QB, we need RB, we need OT, and defense (DT or LB depending on whether Saban moves us to the 3-4). It sounds like Saban is not very high on picking a RB up with the #2 pick (kudos to him, that's investing too much in a position where you can find 'diamonds in the rough' a whole lot easier than you can in QB). So, naturally, you've got 2 QBs sitting there that are worth taking at #2, and I think they'll be taking Alex Smith, because I think the 49ers will like Aaron Rodgers too much to pass him up.

KB21 said:
I think Edwards will be in the mix for that 2nd pick. The top 5 guys in this draft are all very closely rated together, and they could go off the board in any order.

IMO, when it is all said and done, Miami will be looking at these five players with that pick:

1. Aaron Rodgers, QB, 6'2", 220 lbs, California
2. Alex Smith, QB, 6'4", 212 lbs, Utah
3. Cedric Benson, RB, 6'0", 220 lbs, Texas
4. Braylon Edwards, WR, 6'3", 217 lbs, Michigan
5. Ronnie Brown, RB, 6'1", 228 lbs, Auburn

if we're not trading down and are looking at one of those five, we gotta go with QB. we've no need for another WR and spending the #2 pick on a RB in a year which has such depth, and no obvious standout, in the draft and such depth in FA, would be a bad move, imo.

You also have to look at our offense this year. WR was not really an issue, between Booker, Chambers, and the surprising showing of Derrius Thompson, we really didn't have WRs dragging down our performance.

What we did have are running game problems, OL problems, and QBs who gave points to the other team FAR too easily and didn't put up enough points of our own.

IMO, that starts with the QB. IMO Feeley has had enough time in this league practicing and playing to where he should not have performed as badly as he did no matter what the protection was, no matter what the running game was. I still think he could be a success story, just not the same kind of success story that a guy like Rodgers or Alex Smith could be.

Edwards is good BUT, he reminds me too much of the last michigan WR to wear the #1 jersey: David Terrel. Didn't they think he was going to be the next great WR in the NFL, and now look at him :shakeno:

If we're going to waste a top pick on WR, we go Mike Williams, other than that, it would just be plain stupid to go WR.

inFINSible said:
It's okay.....I agree that we need RB and o-line...less o-line than RB but.....

we have youth that can develop at both positions, and, like I said , I fully expect more players to be added there but, the part of our offense that is the oldest is WR...and with David Boston being a HUGE question mark....It would make a lot of sense to take a player that may truly be worth the number two pick such as Braylon Edwards (not saying he's the only one worthy of the pick) especially when you consider the NFL trending towards making the WRs bigger weapons with the tighter illegal contact rules.

A three wide set of Chambers Edwards and Booker would scare the crap out of most teams.
I don't think we need O line as much either, but I do think we need a more mobile LT (maybe that's a healthy McIntosh) and a center who can make line calls. We can't do another season making the QB make line calls with the time he should be using to read defenses.

xXxpHiN34 said:
Edwards is good BUT, he reminds me too much of the last michigan WR to wear the #1 jersey: David Terrel. Didn't they think he was going to be the next great WR in the NFL, and now look at him :shakeno:

If we're going to waste a top pick on WR, we go Mike Williams, other than that, it would just be plain stupid to go WR.

I am a huge Michigan fan, and I can tell you Edwards and Terrell are completely different no matter how much people compare them. Edwards is reliabe with good hands, and Terrell is more of a big play guy. But I do agree, if we take a WR it's gotta be WIlliams the dude's a freak of nature

xXxpHiN34 said:

Mike Williams doesn't have the speed to stretch the field vertically, which is most important to me. And David Terrell was not considered of the same caliber as Edwards is now...people are calling Edwards almost uncoverable at times...that was never said about Terrell. In fact, if you remember, Terrell and Freddie Mitchell were pretty close in grade when the draft rolled around. (Both were taken ahead of Chambers...haha, I guess we got the last laugh on that one).

And for those of you who want to take a QB, I guess that's just a matter of opinion. I've said in numerous threads about how I believe Feeley will be great next year if we surround him with what I've proposed. And I've also talked about how QB controversy hurts everybody (see Manning, Culpepper, and McNabb who didn't have someone breathing down their necks). That's why I would hate it if we drafted a QB with our first pick, particularly with sleepers (Frye, Walter) who we can get late to groom just in case Feeley doesn't pan out, which I doubt anyway.

MadDawg020 said:
QB - Feeley
RB - Jordan
WR - Chambers, Edwards, Booker!! (This is what I think Saban meant by an explosive offense)
TE - McMichael
OL - DMac, James, Baas (they say he could easily be moved to center), Hadnot, Carey

Thank god you have no say on the personnel moves. :rolleyes2

And for the last time: We don't need a damn receiver.

Back
Top Bottom