Breaking News: Justin Smiley traded to Jags, pending physical | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Breaking News: Justin Smiley traded to Jags, pending physical

True, but with Will Allen being healthy, Jones would've gone back to dime back, and while here he's proven to be fairly useful in coverage (despite coming here with a lot of people saying if he say significant time, we'd be in trouble). With Denver he gets a bigger role than he'd have here.

no doubt...but i also have my reservations about banking on will allen...but that seems to be the thinking in letting nate jones go

It's never a good sign when they do not mention what we are getting in return, but like most of you, I think anything is better than nothing.

Now that we signed Procter, does that mean Jake Grove is next to get traded?

no doubt...but i also have my reservations about banking on will allen...but that seems to be the thinking in letting nate jones go

I have reservations about counting on Will Allen too but until/unless you make that hard choice to cut out the unknowns (read: Smiley), you're stuck with him and in the mean time you've only got so many roster spots and they wanted another development prospect (hence Nolan Carroll). Strikes me as not a situation that was particularly enticing for Nate or for the Dolphins. My only issue is if you need a FS, you might think about moving Nate over there. But then I guess they also wanted to get kind of younger and more developmental there as well with Chris Clemons and Reshad Jones.

I have reservations about counting on Will Allen too but until/unless you make that hard choice to cut out the unknowns (read: Smiley), you're stuck with him and in the mean time you've only got so many roster spots and they wanted another development prospect (hence Nolan Carroll). Strikes me as not a situation that was particularly enticing for Nate or for the Dolphins. My only issue is if you need a FS, you might think about moving Nate over there. But then I guess they also wanted to get kind of younger and more developmental there as well with Chris Clemons and Reshad Jones.

yeah i understand why...still bummed me out though and i think the broncos are getting an underrated nickle cb...

as for reshad jones that scares the crap out of me at free safety...god does it ever on tape

I really hope we didn't give up a player of Smiley's character for a 7th or 6th round pick... ::sigh::

I agree we should have matched the Nate Jones contract and thought about axing Will Allen (age, money, injury) this season or next. Nate Jones went extremely cheap for a solid nickel CB. We could have had him for four years+ for the money Will Allen is getting this year alone (and still had almost a million left over).

Will Allen contract: He received a $1.5 million signing bonus on a 3year contract
2010: $5.2 million salary
2011: $5.5 million salary

Nate Jones contract:
four-year, $4.33 million contract. including a $1 million signing bonus. Another $9.27 million is available through incentives, although most of them are "unlikely to be earned."
2010: $630,000
2011: $800,000
2012: $900,000
2013: $1 million

Why dont you make sure there isnt a thread about it before you start one up? I mean geez its on the front page.

Jones should been kept, but I really like Carroll's potential and Culver could play the dime if Clemons or Jones wins the Safety spot.

Jones should been kept, but I really like Carroll's potential and Culver could play the dime if Clemons or Jones wins the Safety spot.

I like Carroll as well. He definitely seems like a class act. What concerns me are the injuries. Two broken legs so far (one senior year high school, one senior year college). Maybe he will be fine until year four here?

I like Carroll as well. He definitely seems like a class act. What concerns me are the injuries. Two broken legs so far (one senior year high school, one senior year college). Maybe he will be fine until year four here?

If Fins don't make a move at Safety I want to see if Carroll can switch to safety, Sparano stress he is an extremely smart player and very athletically gifted. A lot of draft sites had him as Safety/Corner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad that we got something out of him and that it is done. It is too bad he has had so many injuries because when he was healthy he was a excellent linemen for us. Part of me is sad to see him go...

Fins prepared themselves very well for the trade of Smiley. They have Thomas & Garner, they signed Procter & Icognito & they drafted Jerry. BTW don't forget Berger can play Guard as well. The Guard position should not be a question and is one of the deepest positions on this team.

Last edited by a moderator:
culver at cb in some situations??? not sure i'm seeing that...and pretty sure i don't want to see it

Back
Top Bottom