Brilliant article on Wallace and Ireland | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brilliant article on Wallace and Ireland

He tried to pay Orton $9 million a year, our owner shut that down.
He offered a hefty contract to Flynn, who is apparently so horrible that only 1 other team wanted him.

He did refuse to give a second round pick for Kolb. So, because of that, should we go ahead and build a statue for Ireland? I mean, he did use that second round pick productively, Daniel Thomas is certainly tearing up the league.

You mean Seattle offered him a hefty contract because he didn't sign here because he was offered backup pay - which is what he is worth.

can we please get the link to him paying orton 9 M? and also to us wanting to pay flynn a hefty sum, what was that figure? and why did he sign with Seattle for 5.5 M if we were giving him a ....in your words....hefty sum

But the Dolphins look doomed, not unlike a trade the team nearly completed this summer. Just when the Dolphins were about to trade a fourth-round pick to the Broncos for quarterback Kyle Orton in August, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross declined to pay the three-year, $27 million extension that the quarterback and Miami already had agreed to, league sources said. When Ross declined to pay Orton, the deal blew up. Now Miami's season almost has.

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=7031691&wjb

Flynn signed a $26 million($10 million guaranteed), 3 year deal with Seattle. Instead of the $8 million or so Seattle offered him, at the time it was reported we offered something around $6.5 million per season. We "low-balled" him because we felt he wanted to play for Philbin more than he wanted an immediate high contract. And yes, i consider $6 million to be a hefty contract. Heres a link about the story, albeit with no final contract number. And im absolutely not digging through a year of Jason Cole tweets looking for the number. Take my $6 million for a grain of salt if you want.
Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reports that the Miami Dolphins are “low-balling” free agent quarterback Matt Flynn in contract negotiations. The Dolphins’ thinking is apparently that Flynn wants so badly to play for head coach Joe Philbin, his offensive coordinator in Green Bay, that Flynn might be willing to settle for significantly less than market value.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/16/report-dolphins-make-low-ball-offer-to-matt-flynn/

Either way, if this player was just so darned god awful, so bad he was benched, so not worth the contract he was given...why did Miami bring him in and try and sign him at all?

You mean Seattle offered him a hefty contract because he didn't sign here because he was offered backup pay - which is what he is worth.

"I mean", why offer a contract to a bad player at all? Much less a contract comparable, albeit thats slightly less, than the 3 year, $26 million Seattle offered him.

He tried to pay Orton $9 million a year, our owner shut that down.
He offered a hefty contract to Flynn, who is apparently so horrible that only 1 other team wanted him.

He did refuse to give a second round pick for Kolb. So, because of that, should we go ahead and build a statue for Ireland? I mean, he did use that second round pick productively, Daniel Thomas is certainly tearing up the league.

You're right about Orton - and thank heavens Ross stepped in; that was when I realized he was turning the corner as an owner. I still maintain that after the Harbaugh fiasco resulting in the Meatball being given more personnel say, it was probably Sparano fearful of losing his job (as it was obvious Ireland was safe at that point) who was the one lobbying hard for the player in Denver they called "3 and out Orton".

However, if Philbin wanted Flynn for more than a stopgap, he wouldn't have offered him backup money. It's likely that as payback for Flynn being a good soldier for Philbin in GB, they went through the motions of extending him an offer so Seattle wouldn't think they were the only one who wanted him. I wouldn't doubt that for the same reason, they candidly told Flynn that they were drafting Tannehill with an eye toward the future.

I don't give Ireland too much credit for passing on Kolb for a 2nd rounder.. even Rick Spielman wouldn't have bit on that one.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/16/report-dolphins-make-low-ball-offer-to-matt-flynn/

Either way, if this player was just so darned god awful, so bad he was benched, so not worth the contract he was given...why did Miami bring him in and try and sign him at all?
When the Dolphins brought Flynn in he had just come off an 6 touchdown performance in the last game of the regular season and was not view as god awful by anyone.

The Dolphins brought him in because he was familiar with Philbin's offense from their days in Green Bay.

You're right about Orton - and thank heavens Ross stepped in; that was when I realized he was turning the corner as an owner. I still maintain that after the Harbaugh fiasco resulting in the Meatball being given more personnel say, it was probably Sparano fearful of losing his job (as it was obvious Ireland was safe at that point) who was the one lobbying hard for the player in Denver they called "3 and out Orton".

However, if Philbin wanted Flynn for more than a stopgap, he wouldn't have offered him backup money. It's likely that as payback for Flynn being a good soldier for Philbin in GB, they went through the motions of extending him an offer so Seattle wouldn't think they were the only one who wanted him. I wouldn't doubt that for the same reason, they candidly told Flynn that they were drafting Tannehill with an eye toward the future.

I don't give Ireland too much credit for passing on Kolb for a 2nd rounder.. even Rick Spielman wouldn't have bit on that one.

The Dolphins began applying the full-court press on Flynn, who spent four years working under new coach Joe Philbin in Green Bay, after Manning turned down the team's advances Thursday. The Seahawks hosted Flynn on a visit earlier this week, but he left without signing a contract and arrived in South Florida on Saturday morning.

Sources say both sides hope to finalize terms on a contract that could make Aaron Rodgers' former backup quarterback Miami's next starter.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...back-matt-flynn-west-coast-offense-chad-henne

Joe Philbin doesn’t like the perception that the Dolphins didn’t aggressively pursue free agent quarterback Matt Flynn.

Philbin, the Dolphins head coach who spent the last four years coaching Flynn in Green Bay, was asked by a reporter today why he didn’t pursue Flynn as aggressively as many people thought they would. And Philbin said people who think the Dolphins didn’t pursue Flynn aggressively are wrong.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/27/joe-philbin-ask-matt-flynn-why-hes-in-seattle/

Anyways, i'll agree that we should be extremely thankful that Ross stepped in on Orton and that Ireland shouldnt get credit for not trading for Kolb.

But if Ireland was influenced by Sparano to trade for Orton, then thats still on Ireland. Tony Sparano is a coach, not a scout. Its Irelands job to shut down horrible trades. Thankfully for us, Ross did his job for him.

I can't wait for all the articles to get out of the way and for free agency to start. Hopefully this is the year that we make a big splash.

When the Dolphins brought Flynn in he had just come off an 6 touchdown performance in the last game of the regular season and was not view as god awful by anyone.

The Dolphins brought him in because he was familiar with Philbin's offense from their days in Green Bay.

People cant have it both ways. Ireland cant deserve for passing on him and also deserve credit for trying to sign him.

This forum swings to the extremes. People love to boast and crow about anything we do. Its why a select number of poster expect 7th round draft picks to become studs. Its why threads were started about how we STOLE from the Colts in the Vontae trade. Its not enough that we get a good player or deal, its that we have to humiliate everyone else. We have to prove to be smarter and better and etc, etc, etc. I get it, its human nature. I just find it amusingly shortsighted when it comes to our history.

If people want to say Ireland deserves credit for bringing in as much "talent" at the quarterback positions as possible, then fair enough. Id even agree with that, as i felt we should double or triple up on the position(still do). But you cant also talk about how brilliant Ireland was(or how he completely pegged the market on Flynn, or any other game of semantics people are playing) for passing on some player who "was awful". We tried to sign him. We tried hard to sign him and revisionist history wont change that.

People cant have it both ways. Ireland cant deserve for passing on him and also deserve credit for trying to sign him.

This forum swings to the extremes. People love to boast and crow about anything we do. Its why a select number of poster expect 7th round draft picks to become studs. Its why threads were started about how we STOLE from the Colts in the Vontae trade. Its not enough that we get a good player or deal, its that we have to humiliate everyone else. We have to prove to be smarter and better and etc, etc, etc. I get it, its human nature. I just find it amusingly shortsighted when it comes to our history.

If people want to say Ireland deserves credit for bringing in as much "talent" at the quarterback positions as possible, then fair enough. Id even agree with that, as i felt we should double or triple up on the position(still do). But you cant also talk about how brilliant Ireland was(or how he completely pegged the market on Flynn, or any other game of semantics people are playing) for passing on some player who "was awful". We tried to sign him. We tried hard to sign him and revisionist history wont change that.

Why can't people have it both ways? At the time Flynn was brought in, Matt Moore was the only veteran QB on the roster and team wanted to atleast bring in some competition for him and Flynn was thought to be the most logical choice since he was familiar with the offense being installed.

There is no revisionist history going on. Once again, Flynn was not viewed by anyone as god awful when Ireland tried to sign him. The fact that Flynn was beat out for the starting job in Seattle by Wilson does not make him god awful or anything else.

Yes Flynn was brought in. Yes Flynn was offered a contract the Ireland felt he was worth and Flynn decided to go elsewhere. If Ireland doesn't get credit for sticking to his guns, then who does?

If we do sign Mike Wallace, it makes me wonder if he is really that much better of a WR than Brandon Marshall was, and does he really have that much less baggage?

What baggage does Wallace have?

If we do sign Mike Wallace, it makes me wonder if he is really that much better of a WR than Brandon Marshall was, and does he really have that much less baggage?

If hes as good as Marshall he will be an amazing pickup, we didn't get rid of Marshall because of his production.

Wallace is veiwed more as a major component... not an accessory like Reggie.... it's a good spend based on history... are they (RT/MW) going to explode out of the box next season... odds are... probably not.

It's a step in the process... hope we take it.

Back
Top Bottom