Bryant Johnson belongs in Miami... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bryant Johnson belongs in Miami...

Ted Ginn is clearly the deep threat receiver on this team and any mention of him as only a return man by our new staff will not be made. Our "possession" receiver, Marty Booker, under performed in the role last year and has subsequently been released, leaving a void for a big, tall, and athletic receiver. I have read all the names and seen all the posts and it is my opinion that Bryant Johnson is the best fit! This team has money to spend on FA’s and I am of the belief the bulk of it should go toward…DEFENSE. However, the offensive side of the ball should not be ignored and the combination of talent and the bargain price tag make Johnson an excellent choice.

Bryant Johnson is 6’3", 216 pounds and 27 years of age. He has sure hands, is big enough to go over the middle, and his size makes him a solid red zone threat.

Other options:
Trading for Chad Johnson: Costs too much in trade, costs too much in salary. This move will limit other moves.
Bernard Berrian: Shorter, lighter and same age. Too similar in size to Ginn and will cost more.
Andre Davis: Shorter, lighter and older. Not exactly an over the middle or possession guy.
Devery Henderson: Also shorter and lighter but he is younger (25). He has a problem with dropping balls. A problem I don’t think anyone here in Miami is willing to take the time to correct.
Drew Carter: Similar in height but 15 pounds lighter. He is younger (25) but not as athletic or as physical.

Bryant Johnson was a 1st round pick in the 2003 NFL draft. He was selected 17th overall by the Arizona Cardinals who also selected Anquan Boldin that year with the 54th pick. Boldin adapted quicker to the NFL with 101 receptions, 1377 yards, and 8 TD’s. He was named Rookie of the Year and was selected to the Pro Bowl. Arizona then selected Larry Fitzgerald 3rd overall in the 2004 draft. The combination of Boldin and Fitzgerald has left little room for Bryant to grow into the Arizona offense. As a former first round pick overshadowed by two other talents he now has the opportunity to play elsewhere and show why he was selected 17th overall. He has four years experience in the league and some believe he is ready to breakout once out from under Boldin and Fitzgerald. As the 3rd option in Arizona he has not been beaten up, nor has he posted numbers that would command a huge FA contract. This guy is big. This guy is talented. This guy is a bargain!

Finally, the pick that Arizona used to select Johnson was acquired in a trade with the New Orleans Saints. The Saints acquired the pick in a trade with…the Miami Dolphins for Ricky Williams. Bryant Johnson was selected with Miami’s 2003 first round pick. He belongs here!

what has me cautious is that ARI went ahead and drafted Fitzgerald the year after. that leads me to think that ARI didn't feel too impressed by B Johnson on the other side of Boldin that they went ahead and spent another "1st" rounder on another WR.

So, the fact that they would "on top of that" LET BJ just walk...leads me to think that he may not have anymore UPside than say Derek Hagan.

I say, let's go with the report that BP has contacted Keyshawn to be that "big, over the middle, red zone threat" guy along with Tedd Ginn, Derek Hagan, and Greg Camarillo. They probably actually add another speedy guy to "backup" Tedd Ginn Jr.

Why? Because Hagan is actually similiar to BJ. Hagan struggled, just like BJ did in his first two years. Bring in KJ to mentor him and be our slot/red zone target/BP familiarity...and u have a WR corps of:

Tedd Ginn Jr(your starting deep threat)
Keyshawn Johnson(your big/red zone threat)
Derek Hagan(your 3rd year potential BJ type)
Greg Camarillo(a sure handed possession guy off the bench)

that leaves one more WR spot. Should be for either Lorenzo Booker, should they keep "4" RBs...or out of K Reed or maybe a speedy guy we either draft on the second day or one we find off the waiver wire/cheap FA market.

That's my take on how I see the "WR" dilemna working out. At least, for 2008 anyways.

But of course, I wouldn't be against adding "two" WRs: KJ "and" a BJ or a draft pick.

I think, other than KJ, BP will focus more on UPgrading the OL via FA and maybe even drafting Matt Ryan #1 overall, if not, trade for D Anderson and draft Jake Long #1. We'll see though.

I think Bryant Johnson is our best option at receiver this offseason. I prefer him to anyone currently on our roster.

Like I said Earlier. If not Berrian, than Bryant Johnson

BJ will be allowed to walk because Ariz has 18mil to LF and two solid young LB's as FA's in K.Dansby and C.Pace. They need to improve on defense not at wr, so I highly doubt their paying him to stay.I think we could trade with Detroit aswell for R.Williams - send them C.Crowder/M.Roth/D.Hagen/T.Daniels .

Im really surprised that everyone is so hot on him,

Im even a PSU fan and i want DJ Hackett.

what has me cautious is that ARI went ahead and drafted Fitzgerald the year after. that leads me to think that ARI didn't feel too impressed by B Johnson on the other side of Boldin that they went ahead and spent another "1st" rounder on another WR.

Larry Fitz was the absolute best choice for them. it was obvious coming out of college, and he has shown it. Is Bryant in his class? No...but then again, maybe 5 recievers in the league are

So, the fact that they would "on top of that" LET BJ just walk...leads me to think that he may not have anymore UPside than say Derek Hagan.

First, they are not just letting him walk. They have way too much money tied up between Anquon and Fitz to sign a contract to their #3 reciever...But remember, he is #3 only because of the two perrenial All-Pro's ahead of him on the roster.

You are putting Hagan in the same class at Johnson? Not even close...Hagan projected to be a very similar player as Johnson and has had lots of opportunity to be so. Biggest difference Johnson DOESNT drop passes. Hagan does..constantly. Johnson has had 30+ catches every year since being in he pros0. I dont think Hagan has 30 receptions total.

I'm on board. I like Johnson too.
I would not be surprised if other teams are thinking the same though.

Other teams might be having wet dreams about Johnson, but I guarantee you they're having nightmares about being in a bidding war with Miami. The team simply has too much cap to play with.

Bryant Johnson gives you everything Keyshawn can, is younger and less of a headache. And who knows, he may turn into something. I see him as a solid #2, but the type of #2 that will lead the team in receptions

I just want the spending on a WR low. Again, we have used two valuable drafts over the last couple of years on WR and we still have no QB we can be sure of to even throw the Ball.

i dont get what is up with some people and this "spending" problem. dude, we have "OVER" $37mil of salary cap space! We can pay premium on a number of players. chill out. BP, spend on...

Bryant Johnson gives you everything Keyshawn can, is younger and less of a headache. And who knows, he may turn into something. I see him as a solid #2, but the type of #2 that will lead the team in receptions

I would call that a VERY real and accurate assesment. Never gonna be that Number 1 that teams dictate coverage around, but more of a Reggie Wayne type. Very quietly racking up tons of yardage, always clutch and a great locker-room guy to boot.

Back
Top Bottom