Bryant Johnson belongs in Miami... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bryant Johnson belongs in Miami...

the pick Arizona used to select BJ was New Orleans original 1st round pick. the pick that NO received from us was #18, which Arizona also received with their trade with NO and used to draft Calvin Pace. So by your logic, it is Calvin Pace who belongs in Miami, not Bryant Johnson. ;)

Thanks for clearing that up. I did do some research myself but unfortunately not from a reliable source. Here is what I saw:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_NFL_Draft

As it turns out, you are correct. The 18th pick (not 17th) the Cardinals used came from Miami. This does not alter my opinion on Johnson. He is the best available when you consider size, hands, motivation and price.

I'd take Bryant Johnson over the majority of other options out there at WR. I agree he's been underutilized in Arizona behind Boldin and Fitzgerald. He's cheaper than Roy Williams, faster than Keyshawn, and less of a potential headache than Chad Johnson, all of whom have been mentioned as potential Dolphins in the past. I think he makes a lot of sense for our team.

I dont know whay everyone is so high on this guy.. I really dont see it... He did nothing with the starting role he was given this year when Boldin anf Fitz were injured (which was alot this season)... I saw him play, I watched the games. He lost playing time to a career practice squad guy in Jeherme Urban... He had ONE decent game and those numbers arent anything to brag about (5 rec. 69 yrds. 1 TD).

I understand he is big and has good hands and blah blah blah and that he has been behind 2 high profile guys, but Johnson himself was a 17th overall pick and was expected to be a high profile guy but hasnt performed as such to even be a reliable 2nd option

He isnt that talented. He could make a good slot or 3rd WR guy, but a second reciever I think is asking too much of him.

I dont know whay everyone is so high on this guy.. I really dont see it... He did nothing with the starting role he was given this year when Boldin anf Fitz were injured (which was alot this season)... I saw him play, I watched the games. He lost playing time to a career practice squad guy in Jeherme Urban... He had ONE decent game and those numbers arent anything to brag about (5 rec. 69 yrds. 1 TD).

I understand he is big and has good hands and blah blah blah and that he has been behind 2 high profile guys, but Johnson himself was a 17th overall pick and was expected to be a high profile guy but hasnt performed as such to even be a reliable 2nd option

He isnt that talented. He could make a good slot or 3rd WR guy, but a second reciever I think is asking too much of him.

You have stated this over and over again in several threads. Once again, there is ZERO truth to him losing out to Urban, ZERO. He has ranked right along starting wide recievers in every catagory every single year he has been in the NFL, but is still a third reciever.

How many games have you seen of him have you seen?

You have stated this over and over again in several threads.

I have stated it because it is a very valid point and I will continue to state is as long as new Bryant Johnson threads continue to come about.

Once again, there is ZERO truth to him losing out to Urban, ZERO. He has ranked right along starting wide recievers in every catagory every single year he has been in the NFL, but is still a third reciever.

How many games have you seen of him have you seen?

How do you figure there is 0 truth, all you have to do is look at he tape or the games...So he ranks along with the starting wide recievers in yardage? TD's, Catches? The major categories... Dont think so... Just because he has a good YPC average because he doesnt catch many balls does not make him a good reciever. The less balls you catch, the more of a chance you have for certain stats to look better as the margin for error is much smaller

I saw roughly the last 5 or 6 Zona games this season (in part). for the right price i wouldnt mind having him, but not as a second reciever opposite Ginn. Berrian is a much more viable options IMO

we should be looking to aquire more than one (potential) starter at WR this offseason.

The idea of trading high picks for a pricey vet is a waste of time IMO.
Guys like Johnson are the way to go right now. I havent thougt of him til now i admit... Hackett i have been interested in. Berrian, not so much. Not with Ginn. And i dunno why KiNg said Ginn is penciled in as the #1 WR.... hopefully you can clarify that for me ! I won't even pencil him in as a our starter until i see how The new regime handles him.. ya know ?

what has me cautious is that ARI went ahead and drafted Fitzgerald the year after. that leads me to think that ARI didn't feel too impressed by B Johnson on the other side of Boldin that they went ahead and spent another "1st" rounder on another WR.

So, the fact that they would "on top of that" LET BJ just walk...leads me to think that he may not have anymore UPside than say Derek Hagan.
First, no one's claiming that BJ is in Fitz's class. On the contrary, most are pegging him as a #2, possession-type receiver... and that he'd probably be an improvement over Hagan. Second, with as much money as the Cards have tied up in the WR position, they don't have much choice to let BJ walk without severely limiting their ability to spend on other areas.

Hagan struggled, just like BJ did in his first two years.
Stats tell a different story. Receptions: 86 to 50. Yards: 1,268 to 594. Avg: 14.5 to 11.9. TD: 6 to 3. He might have struggled, but there's really not much comparison between the two.

Stats tell a different story. Receptions: 86 to 50. Yards: 1,268 to 594. Avg: 14.5 to 11.9. TD: 6 to 3. He might have struggled, but there's really not much comparison between the two.

May I also add that Hagan struggled to put up numbers behind guys like Chambers and Booker. I don't think anyone here would argue that to be a more difficult task than playing behind Fitzgerald and Boldin.

I do not expect this guy to be a top 5 receiver. All I am saying is his combination of size, speed, hands and ability coupled with an extremely low price tag, a reason to be motivated and our need for a possession receiver make this guy an excellent fit in Miami. Feel free to disagree but know that in doing so you will be ABSOLUTELY WRONG!

johnson has never really steped up when he has had the chance to start

I have stated it because it is a very valid point and I will continue to state is as long as new Bryant Johnson threads continue to come about.

How do you figure there is 0 truth, all you have to do is look at he tape or the games...So he ranks along with the starting wide recievers in yardage? TD's, Catches? The major categories... Dont think so... Just because he has a good YPC average because he doesnt catch many balls does not make him a good reciever. The less balls you catch, the more of a chance you have for certain stats to look better as the margin for error is much smaller

I saw roughly the last 5 or 6 Zona games this season (in part). for the right price i wouldnt mind having him, but not as a second reciever opposite Ginn. Berrian is a much more viable options IMO
Lobo is 100% right on this, there is no truth to it whatsoever.

Berrian? Mr Dropsies? I'd rather not go after him, he might drop the contract before he has a chance to sign it. ;)

I'd say no to berrian and to bryant johnson.

I'm still on record from previous posts as saying bryant johnson won't be here right.

I totally disagree with this dude being on the same level as other top WR's at every category.
just off glancing at his career numbers, nothing stands out to me as fantastic.
a third WR in a pass happy offense. I don't see this guy as a can't miss FA for the phins.

let's see if I end up being right.

Amen!!!!

This is dead on! I think Johnson could be the best bargain in Free Agency in 2008. Chad Johnson if the Bengals cut him. No more trading draft picks for veteran players. I doubt Williams is getting traded, at least not to the fins. Johnson would be a great fit in Miami.

Back
Top Bottom