Bryant Johnson belongs in Miami... | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bryant Johnson belongs in Miami...

Receiver Bryant Johnson could well be the odd man out in all of this.

The Cardinals have plenty of firepower at receiver. If they use up all their available salary-cap space on the other irons in the fire, they may not be able to keep Johnson.

"I think that's the right characterization," Graves said. "That's going to come down to really what kind of position we're in with the others."

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/108514

FYI: EJ might start looking for a new address next year

I'd take johnson over berrian and hackett, and I'm not high on johnson at all... ask anybody they will tell you, it's in most of my posts.

That's not to say I couldn't warm up to the guy a bit. I do like his size, I'm just really troubled by the fact that he's a 1st rounder who didn't work out. Is he motivated? What first rounder gets beat out a 2nd rounder and 1st rounder of a year later. Fitz is a freak, and boldin is solid, but johnson should be much more solid than he has shown. Fitz was probably a can't miss prospect, I would have to check back at who was still on the board when the cards picked. But did this dude just pack it in and say screw these guys are better than me? what's his general attitude, does he want to get better or is he content to sit behind fitz and anquon.

off to do some research... back after bit!!!
Where a player is drafted has nothing to do with it. BJ is playing behind 2 of the best in the game and Arizona has another receiving option in the backfield in Edgerrin James, who by the way ran the ball over 300 times last year. There is only so much offense to spread around, not every player can put up 100 catches and 1,000 yards. To imply that Johnson is unmotivated or a bad player because he hasn't beaten out Boldin or Fitzgerald is faulty reasoning, there are alot of very good WR's that would be stuck at #3 on the depth chart behind those two.

General Tso said:
What makes you think Bryant Johnson will ever be a fine #1? There's 5 years of evidence that shows he's an average #3.
Not true, he has done a fine job when given the opportunity. Fact is, he would instantly upgrade our passing game and become our #1 receiver. He has the potential to be a very solid player for many years. Will he ever be a true #1 WR in the mold of Fitzgerald or Boldin? Who knows, but he's better than anything we currently have and beggers can't be too picky. When young talent presents itself and your rebuilding team is lacking in that area, you have to take it.

He's young, he's big, he runs great routes and his hands are very good. I don't see anything not to like.

What makes you think Bryant Johnson will ever be a fine #1? There's 5 years of evidence that shows he's an average #3.

sorry if i didnt explain well. what i mean for this coming season if we dont get another WR in free agency, and we pull in a rookie from the draft... he will be a fine #1 for now. an experienced WR, that does have a more upside than anything right now (1st round pick, getting his chance to proove)... so for this season i wouldnt mind. then for the 2009 season we can see whats available to build some more in FA and work the rookie in, Ginn another year on his belt, and all.

remember.... Johnson was behind 2 top 1st round picks with Boldin and Fitzgerald also... a lot of balls not going his way.

like2god said:
Not true, he has done a fine job when given the opportunity. Fact is, he would instantly upgrade our passing game and become our #1 receiver. He has the potential to be a very solid player for many years. Will he ever be a true #1 WR in the mold of Fitzgerald or Boldin? Who knows, but he's better than anything we currently have and beggers can't be too picky. When young talent presents itself and your rebuilding team is lacking in that area, you have to take it.

He's young, he's big, he runs great routes and his hands are very good. I don't see anything not to like.

....................................................................................................

add this too my thoughts too.... well said!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sold on him for the amount of money he will demand.

I'm not sold on him for the amount of money he will demand.

how much money is he really demanding anyways... does anyone know??? he's been a #3 basically, and numbers aren't sparklin. i wonder what he is looking for now. anyone know?

What do you mean it's not true and he's done a "fine job"? You call never eclipsing 87 yards in any game of his 5 year career "fine"? There's been some pretty mediocre receivers in Miami that have been able to eclipse the elusive 90 yards in a game mark. If you don't see a problem with a guy that's never had a big game in 5 years in the NFL which did include several starts, then your expectations for a starting WR are much lower than the rest of the world's.

sorry if i didnt explain well. what i mean for this coming season if we dont get another WR in free agency, and we pull in a rookie from the draft... he will be a fine #1 for now. an experienced WR, that does have a more upside than anything right now (1st round pick, getting his chance to proove)... so for this season i wouldnt mind. then for the 2009 season we can see whats available to build some more in FA and work the rookie in, Ginn another year on his belt, and all.

remember.... Johnson was behind 2 top 1st round picks with Boldin and Fitzgerald also... a lot of balls not going his way.

If BJ is our #1 WR next year then we're in serious trouble, because it means Ginn must've got hurt and we're relying on a guy that hasn't had a single big game in 5 years.

Yeah, I realize he's been stuck behind Fitz/Boldin, but if he's really capable of being a #1 or even a #2 then he should be tearing those nickel/dime DBs he faces every time out to shreads, producing at least one big game at some point over the 80+ games he's played in the NFL. Instead, he's been invisible his entire career even when going up against backup corners.

If BJ is our #1 WR next year then we're in serious trouble, because it means Ginn must've got hurt and we're relying on a guy that hasn't had a single big game in 5 years.

Yeah, I realize he's been stuck behind Fitz/Boldin, but if he's really capable of being a #1 or even a #2 then he should be tearing those nickel/dime DBs he faces every time out to shreads, producing at least one big game at some point over the 80+ games he's played in the NFL. Instead, he's been invisible his entire career even when going up against backup corners.

he did.. but you think plays are made for #3 WR's to break open so much... no, the balls are going to #1 look, #2 look... palys are made for those guys.

also think of this. New England... who gets most of the balls, Moss and Welker... #3 WR's not so much. Think of Giants (Burress, Toomer). Pitt (Ward and Holmes). Green Bay (Driver, Gennings)... think Miami old school (Clayton, Duper).... these guys are getting more balls to them. plays are amde for that.

now add this... Bryant Johnson has caught around same amount of balls than some #2 WR's.

I thought welker was NE #3 option. I thought stallworth and moss were supposed to be the wideouts there, and welker was mostly in the slot.

and I never said BJ was unmotivated. I asked if he was motivated.
Being a first round pick you generally don't just lay down and die, because some other talent comes into the picture. If you get beat you get beat, but as a first rounder you should never be content to ride pine.

why did the cards give up on him so quickly? fitz came in as a rookie and put up better numbers than BJ.
They must have thought they weren't set enough at WR.

I think if the keyshawn deal goes down, we don't see this guy.
I don't think we see him anyway, cuz I have a feeling philly will up the ante for his services.

What do you mean it's not true and he's done a "fine job"? You call never eclipsing 87 yards in any game of his 5 year career "fine"? There's been some pretty mediocre receivers in Miami that have been able to eclipse the elusive 90 yards in a game mark. If you don't see a problem with a guy that's never had a big game in 5 years in the NFL which did include several starts, then your expectations for a starting WR are much lower than the rest of the world's.
That's true, but tell me this, when was the last time Miami had one of the top WR in the game on their team, let alone two of them?

I guess what you consider a good game for a #3 WR and what I think a good game is are two completely different things. I don't necessarily need to see him catching 10 passes for 150 yards and 3 TD's to see a good player with some potential.

judging off last year, he's not a great #2 WR. facts are facts.

unless your going to try and tell me he was getting double teamed all game long.

in the four weeks boldin didn't play in... weeks 4,5,6,,14...BJ was quite average.
fitz was MIA in week 13 so those numbers are included as well.

week

REC

YDS.

TD.

that was based off last year alone. I don't really feel the need to dig deeper.
Unless your going to tell me that boldin and fitz, don't run the same routes at BJ or have some really good excuse for me, I am going to have to still stick with my original opinion.
and that is that this dude is an average receiver, who has severely underachieved for a former first rounder.
you can use fitz and boldin as excuses until hell won't have it, but he has had games where he was able to show his value. To me, this dude better come REALLY cheap, cuz if he doens't we are going to be overpaying for another roster spot.

I thought welker was NE #3 option. I thought stallworth and moss were supposed to be the wideouts there, and welker was mostly in the slot.
Welker is the #3 in NE.

and I never said BJ was unmotivated. I asked if he was motivated.
Being a first round pick you generally don't just lay down and die, because some other talent comes into the picture. If you get beat you get beat, but as a first rounder you should never be content to ride pine.
You keep questioning his motivation and implying that he has given up and resigned himself to being the #3. Again, there aren't many receivers in the NFL that would be able to unseat those two from their starting jobs.

why did the cards give up on him so quickly? fitz came in as a rookie and put up better numbers than BJ.
They must have thought they weren't set enough at WR.
The Cards were desperately trying to jumpstart their offense, and if I remember correctly there were some people scratching their heads on draft day as to why they selected Fitzgerald after spending a 1st and a 2nd the year before on WR's.

The fact that Boldin came in and put up better numbers than Johnson in their first year is irrelevent, Boldin is one of the best in the NFL. Again, not many WR's would beat Boldin or Fitz out of their starting spots.

I think if the keyshawn deal goes down, we don't see this guy.
I don't think we see him anyway, cuz I have a feeling philly will up the ante for his services.
Keyshawn isn't coming here IMO, and even if he does we will still need another option at WR. As for the Philly rumor, I haven't seen it anywhere other than the guy that posted here. I'm sure alot of teams will be looking to acquire his services, which makes me wonder why some of you feel he isn't good enough for us?

He has not shown anything to prove he could be more than a "projected" #2 WR. Lets be realistic here, he reminds me of Derrius Thompson. I could flourish on another team but his history to this point is mediocre at best.

the fact that boldin came in and put up better numbers than BJ is ABSOLUTELY releveant to me.

Were not talking about barely edging the guy out here, WE are talking absolutely getting dominated across the board by a guy picked up a round later than you.

look at this...

2003 stats

G REC YDS YAC TD
BJ 15 35 438 2.1 1
AB 15 101 1377 5.1 8

So at least judging from that you certainly must agree that he must have been a reach at 17. What about that doesn't say underachiver to anybody?

I completely agree that boldin and fitz are better and not many would be able to unseat them. But Than that also dictates to me, that this guy HAS to come DIRT CHEAP.

what on earth has he done to deserve anything more than vet minimum?

you can have all the upside in the world, you see that with potential draft picks year in and year out. This guy has proven nothing at the nfl level yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom