Bush to be featured back | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bush to be featured back

Being a featured back does not mean that he will be pounding the rock 20+ times a game. He will get his 10-15 touches and will be in on a lot of passing downs. You don't have to be a workhorse to be featured....

When has Reggie Bush ever shown that he deserves between 160 and 240 carries in a season? He's never even done that before. He had 155 carries in 2006 and 157 carries in 2007. He's never averaged even 10.0 carries per game in his career.

Would that be his amazing career 4.0 yards per carry average behind the best guard tandem in football? Would that be his stellar 3.4 yards per carry average on grass? Would it be because he did so well (3.6 ypc and 3.7 ypc) in the two years where he approached 10.0 carries per game? Would it be his declining averages from 4.3 yards per carry on carries 1-5, to 4.0 yards per carry on carries 6-10, to 2.8 yards per carry on carries 11-15? Stellar durability, that one.

Featured back means carries. You can twist nipples with each other about how many carries it implies but it means he's going to have the most carries on the team. Last year with Ricky and Ronnie sharing the load more or less equally but with Ronnie in the command position, he had 200 carries. If they try and give Reggie Bush 200 carries, it will be a disaster.

Well, unless you're hoping for Andrew Luck.

Being the feature back only means that you've structured the offense and blocking scheme around that particular player's skillset.

Again, it's an ***-backwards philosophical approach to offensive football.

Successful offenses fit a player's skillset into a proven offensive system that works, not vice versa.

The Rams didn't design an offense around Marshall Faulk's skillset. Dick Vermeil already had a proven offensive system that worked, and Marshall Faulk had the skillset to "feature" in it. As did Priest Holmes in Kansas City.. the offense didn't change.. the players did.

The Steelers didn't suddenly become a smashmouth running team because of Jerome Bettis. They were already a smashmouth running team with a dominant offensive line, and traded for Jerome Bettis because his skillset fit their philosophy.

The Broncos never changed their offensive system whether it was Terrell Davis, Olandis Gary, Mike Anderson, or Clinton Portis. You acquire talent that fits your PROVEN system and plug it in.

Miami doesn't have a proven system... this is an experiment.

When has Reggie Bush ever shown that he deserves between 160 and 240 carries in a season? He's never even done that before. He had 155 carries in 2006 and 157 carries in 2007. He's never averaged even 10.0 carries per game in his career.

Would that be his amazing career 4.0 yards per carry average behind the best guard tandem in football? Would that be his stellar 3.4 yards per carry average on grass? Would it be because he did so well (3.6 ypc and 3.7 ypc) in the two years where he approached 10.0 carries per game? Would it be his declining averages from 4.3 yards per carry on carries 1-5, to 4.0 yards per carry on carries 6-10, to 2.8 yards per carry on carries 11-15? Stellar durability, that one.

Featured back means carries. You can twist nipples with each other about how many carries it implies but it means he's going to have the most carries on the team. Last year with Ricky and Ronnie sharing the load more or less equally but with Ronnie in the command position, he had 200 carries. If they try and give Reggie Bush 200 carries, it will be a disaster.

Well, unless you're hoping for Andrew Luck.

To be fair tho he was never on a team as the feature back. He was drafted to the saints who had deuce mcallister then Sean payton started to deploy him as a specialty weapon. Obviously reggie doesnt believe he has been given a fair shot. I for one will not expect him to be the next Jamal Charles but will hold out hope that he can be. O and I could be wrong but i dont believe Jamal Charles was widely viewed as an every down guy until he was given a chance to stop splitting carries 50/50 with thomas jones

Reggie Bush isn't capable of being the "featured" back in any offense because he can't run between the tackles effectively enough first and foremost... which is why it made no sense to "set the market" for him.

However, for what they were able to acquire Bush for (which is peanuts) it's a worthwhile experiment since the philosophy and blocking scheme is changing anyway.

You don't come in here and say you're going to build a "power" running team (which is what this regime did) and feature it around a Reggie Bush. This is an experiment on the part of desperation by this regime and coaching staff.... good luck to 'em.

To be fair tho he was never on a team as the feature back. He was drafted to the saints who had deuce mcallister then Sean payton started to deploy him as a specialty weapon. Obviously reggie doesnt believe he has been given a fair shot. I for one will not expect him to be the next Jamal Charles but will hold out hope that he can be. O and I could be wrong but i dont believe Jamal Charles was widely viewed as an every down guy until he was given a chance to stop splitting carries 50/50 with thomas jones

Jamaal Charles was always a highly EFFICIENT and productive back, no matter how many carries he had. That's why I don't get that comparison. Reggie Bush has not been an efficient or effective back. The more carries he gets, the less effective he gets. And that wasn't very effective to begin with anyway.

Backs have to be able to take carries and gain yards. It's what you do. It's your job. Reggie Bush has never done his job adequately, that way.

sorry CK, but i think boss ross has every intention of honoring the gruesome two-some's
contract extention. they have to to save face after the harbaugh fiasco. it will show future
employees that they are "true" to there word and the franchise is "stable". bummer.

so, thagt being said, do you really think ireland and his cavalcade of clowns has the insight
to draft LUCK?

naaaawww, they will trade down from the 1st or second overall pic to #21
and select that left guard sparano swears is the answer to the once again failed run first
and often offence. they will come up with some kind of big excuse why andrew luck just
"didnt make sense", something like, "we thought henne really showed more leadership this
year and he threw two less picks than the previous year so his decision making is coming
around"................ and end it with one of the old archaic gems like, "you have to build through
the trenches".

exactly. I think he will see the majority of the split something like 70/30. Will he have any 20+ rushing attempt games? I think so. but he will average out at round 15ish with a few receptions

If he sees 70% of the carries the Dolphins coaching staff is dumber than even I imagined and Im already under the impression Sparano is clueless so its not easy for them to surprise me with their stupidity. The Dolphins just might be stupid enough to think he can be the #1 back but after a few games of showing why he's nothing but a 3rd down back/PR they'll be forced to give the bulk of carries to Thomas. Bush isnt good enough to warrant more than 10 carries a game and even if he were he isnt durable enough to do it. The guy gets hurt carrying the ball 5 times a game. He's a glorified decoy who's only real asset to a team is as a receiver out of the backfield and returner.

I have no problem with this move if its done correctly. Use him like the Saints did and he can help out a little, try to force feed him carries and we'll be in worse shape offensively than we were last year, if that's possible. 70/30 split :crazy:

Well according to Armando's lastest tweets, Bush is only expected to get 10-12 touches a game which includes receptions. So much for being the featured back

Well according to Armando's lastest tweets, Bush is only expected to get 10-12 touches a game which includes receptions. So much for being the featured back

I seen that. Hmm. Well i dont claim to be in the know but im not sure if armando is either lol . But in all seriousness i hope this is the plan for him. I just think that Sparano and Co are not about to rest their futures on Hilliard Thomas grigsby or Sheets. Could be wrong but just my opinion.

I seen that. Hmm. Well i dont claim to be in the know but im not sure if armando is either lol . But in all seriousness i hope this is the plan for him. I just think that Sparano and Co are not about to rest their futures on Hilliard Thomas grigsby or Sheets. Could be wrong but just my opinion.

Dude.....we just used a 2nd round pick on a RB and another $5m/year on a FA RB.

If that doesn't fill out the position, then they were the wrong choices. The only other addition that I could see is Ricky finishing out one more year here. Ricky would be perfect to compliment Bush and DT. Hell, Ricky would probably be the closest one to a "feature back" out of those 3.

I see Ronnie going elsewhere now.

thats how he should be used...12-15 per game max...including specials...

For the sake of the Dolphins winning a few games, let's hope Armando is right.

160 to 192 touches in a season. We'll see how that goes. I don't think it'll look good.

considering he has never been able to stay healthy as a secondary back, making him "the" featured back would be idiotic. And especially not when you look at his rushing stats, and see how pedestrian they are. He will get 10-12 touches a game, rushes and catches, and that will be it.

If people must know what I thought about the 2008 Draft, I had an approved buy list that included Jake Long, Chris Long, Glenn Dorsey and Matt Ryan. I hated, absolutely HATED the idea of taking Vernon Gholston, as some wanted. I thought it would be silly to take Sedrick Ellis ahead of Glenn Dorsey. I argued fiercely against the logic that said that Jake Long can't play LT but he would be an All Pro RT. I expressed concerns about Jake Long's kick slide and wondered if he'd be worth the #1 overall but he remained on my buy list. As to whom I preferred overall, it was somewhere between Chris Long and Glenn Dorsey. But I re-emphasize that I'd have been cool with Matt Ryan or Jake Long as well. That's the truth. But some people will remember what they WANT to remember, rather than what actually happened.
False. Pretty sure you said you would be upset with drafting Ryan because his talent level wasn't near Dorsey and the Longs. That Parcells and co would just be drafting a quarterback to draft a quarterback. Its the downside to having such a big following CK, we remember what you write.

its weird to have him in miami...never liked the guy dating back to his USC days...oh well, hope he can help us win

Back
Top Bottom