Buzz: Fins Eye Elliott in Draft After RB Misses in Free Agency | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Buzz: Fins Eye Elliott in Draft After RB Misses in Free Agency

He's not Gurley type to pick early. Gotta get Apple or trade down to get more picks.

If he is a complete back, and Gage sees him as a star in his offense day one, then I have no problem with it.

I look at these CB's and LB's and wonder just how much upside day one they would have. Thats just how I look at it.

Easier to find gems on defense later IMO. Jason Taylor, Zach, Jones, ect. ect.

The Fins need to take the BPA on defense at 13.

Why use a high 1st to replace a guy you got with a 4th rounder?

Unless the guy is going to be Adrian Peterson or Leveon Bell there is no sense in taking a RB that high.

With the glaring CB and OL needs, IMO it would be typical of this "regime" but a shame nonetheless to waste a first round pick on a RB when for $1.5million/yr more than they were willing to spend, they could have sidestepped all the embarrassing rejection by over the hill and worn out RBs, secured a homegrown, low-mileage stud and picked the defensive BPA available. If this happens, color me very unimpressed!!!

At #13 Elliot will probably be off the board. I mean, these are the teams above us that I think could take Elliot:

#4 Cowboys - a very talented running back with their O-Line would be a big weapon for Tony Romo and the Cowboys' hopes of competing for the play offs and a Super Bowl.
#6 Ravens - I don't see them taking one, but he would be an upgrade on what they have got.
#7 49ers - If they don't take a QB, then depending on whether they believe in Hyde who has been injury prone through his first two seasons, then adding an every down running back would help boost their lacklustre offense.
#8 Eagles - They have traded Murray and reportedly Mathews is on the trade block. Maybe they have their eyes on another player, but Elliot could thrive on that team.
#10 Giants - Their current crop of running backs struggled last season, so did their running game. They have spent big on their defense and have weapons in the passing game. So why not add a very talented every down running back?

It is possible that the above teams all pass on Elliot, likewise the other teams in between pass on him as well, and leaves Elliot to us at #13. If that happens then I hope we draft Elliot because he has the talent and ability to be an every down running back, has excellent size and athleticism, and ee can block. He's truly the type of running back that could thrive in Gase's system. I've seen him compared to the likes of Edgerrin James, Le'Veon Bell and so on. He might not be Gurley, but he's got a lot of talent and ability to be a big play maker for the team that drafts him. If he's there are #13, we should take him. Equally if there is an option to move up a few spots to draft him, and it doesn't cost too much to do that, then I wouldn't be against doing that either. However, there are other RBs in the draft if he's gone at #13 to consider to add in future rounds.

I'd be fine with Elliott at #13, he's a heck of a player, but I'm also fine with Ajayi going is as the starter- talented back, tough runner. It's not as if we're heading into 2016 with a gaping hole at RB, Ajayi was very hightly rated last year for a reason. I'm not worried about the knee, the cartilage issue is a long term deal, he should be fine now.

The guy who I'd go after is Alfred Morris- 27 yrs old, healthy, very good all around back and he's had a great career so far, 4700 yards in 4 seasons.
The Redskins favor the bigger Matt Jones now, I think that Morris is there for the taking at a reasonable salary, he just met with Dallas. It seems like a Pats 101 signing, at least that hasn't happened yet.

Hayden, first of all I rarely post on FH, but enjoy reading some of the content on the site. The topics related to the team can get entertaining and there are a few posters I take seriously while enjoying their posts (UK_DolFan is the ultimate realist lol) and some...well, to be honest, I don't.

I think you have good insight and your ideas are well thought out. That being said, as we all know the time leading up to the draft is all about smoke and mirrors along with throwing off the scent of the media by tossing them a bone in the wrong direction if it suits their purpose.

I'm a long time Dolphins fan who grew up in south Florida but moved to Dallas, TX a few years ago. My family has had season tickets for over 15 years, and I still travel down to watch games every year much to my disappointment after watching live home loss after loss. I've even flew over to London to watch them play there too. Now fast forward to 2016 and the upcoming draft. After pouring out my money, time, and passion over this team I think we need to take a different approach...so this off-season has been a bit refreshing in the sense that we are doing just that. Now this isn't to say that I wasn't a bit disappointed with the swapping of the first round picks with Philly but IF we get two producing healthy starters and can still land a quality pick (playmaker) in the 1st round I'm good with it. Yes we need a corner, a younger DE, and a guard (hoped we would have gotten a proven guard through free agency) in the early days of the draft I hope we take the best player available regardless of position. We are not a playoff team YET, and we have a lot of holes to fill and a lack of true stars on this team. We have a few really good players, but few game changers (which is why we couldn't close out games the past few years in the 4th quarter) which is the difference between making the playoffs and the position we find ourselves in today. I like Hargreaves at 13 if available, but the more I watch film on the CB's in this class I believe there is talent in the 2nd round at the CB position. If Hargreaves isn't there at 13 I would trade down to accumulate picks because the depth of the draft in various positions is between picks 15-75. Your thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=630bK9OEDpo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3JCswi4d4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujkf5mNRdNc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GvZEe_ZkOw

Caught the ball well at his pro day which eliminated some concerns and bumped his stock...but theres a lot of drug use talk here

Anyways i dont buy it to miami

Didn't that same rumor surface about Marino coming out of college. It's all a Smoke Screen, no pun intended.

Didn't that same rumor surface about Marino coming out of college. It's all a Smoke Screen, no pun intended.

Zeke and Bosa were roomates and apparently they partied like crazy. This is pretty normal for football players,especially in college, but apparently those two went Manziel levels of partying. this isn't new information there's been talk about it for awhile now.

The rumor is the reason Bosa was suspended was he refused a drug test knowing he would fail. It was bad enough where his father made him move into his own place away from zeke.

I personally am not one of those people who holds a little drug use against college players. Drugs and football have always been a perfect match. But you need to be able to separate the casuals from the addicted guys like Randy Gregory & Manziel.

Yeah, I really like Kendall Fuller and would take a flier on Zach Sanchez in the 4th if he's there. Have you looked at Karl Joseph? I was wondering if Karl Joseph can play the FS position as he looked more of a SS, but seems to play in coverage very well. The fact that we signed the Detroit as a FS would give him the ability to ease into a role and take over if/when ready. Should be a 2nd round pick due to recovering from a non-contact ACL injury early in the season last year.

I simply want the Dolphins to draft talent regardless of position. We have a lot of holes so I would like to trade down if the price is right and accumulate picks in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds. The problem is, we've drafted so poorly between 2010 - 2013 that we don't really have players to trade (2014-2015 is still in evaluation), so it has to be sliding down to get extra picks. I wouldn't be surprised if we traded Cam Wake to a contender in the draft if we landed a young DE. We couldn't get him to restructure and he's 34 this year with a high cap number coming off injury. Personally I'd hate to see him go because he has been a difference maker for this team for many years.

Ezekiel Elliott is a different type of RB then Todd Gurley. Todd is a freakish athlete, whereas Zeke is a pure runner. Comparisons at this point don't matter since he is a 1st rounder on everyone's board, but if we invest in him with the 13th pick they have to fix the line. Great runners often make average lines look good, and average lines look good with great runners. We're too vested in our WR's and we need an O-line who can pass protect efficiently and doesn't get blown off the line (signifying strength issues along with quickness). Either way, we are starving for talent on this team and need a lot of help. Scheme, and coaching helps, but we need talent for it to make a difference.

I'm wondering when the scales are going to tip back into power running or effective balanced offense in the new pass happy NFL. As a result you see the devaluation of the RB, and bigger lineman (as opposed to finesse lineman). LB's are no longer averaging 240-250 lbs but 220-230 lbs in order to play coverage and teams look for 3 starting CB's to play 60-70% of the snaps. One day a team is gonna realize that the lighter LB's can't get off blocks and that they should start pounding the rock again while playing great defense...then the days of repeat Super Bowl champs will be back. Seattle almost did it two years ago but got cute and called the worst play in football SB history IMO. This league is a copy cat league so when one team does it successfully for a few years then some of the rest may choose to model their strategy after it.

He is not going to be there...teams are thinking he is going to be like Gurley and they are going to want him. If we wanted him so bad, we would not have swapped with Philly, who oddly enough will probably be the ones welcoming him with open arms. I have even seen some drafts with the Cowboys taking him at #4, which I think is crazy....but anything can happen.

Far from it. The bailed down to get two starters and the guy(s) they wanted they knew would be available from 8-17 or so. In fact, there is more of a chance of a trade back if they can find a partner.

I don't disagree with you.....that probably WAS their plan when they thought they could get CJ Anderson, Johnson, etc. but now that their RB plan has fallen apart I wouldn't be shocked if our FO is an a semi panic mode about the situation and about to make rash decisions.

So....while a well managed FO would do exactly as you say, our's has shown time and time again that they'll do the exact opposite of what makes sense or would be the most rational decision.

He's not Gurley type to pick early. Gotta get Apple or trade down to get more picks.

I think he has just as much upside as Gurley without the knee issue. BTW name me one time we dropped down and it worked out??? It never works for us

Yeah, I really like Kendall Fuller and would take a flier on Zach Sanchez in the 4th if he's there. Have you looked at Karl Joseph? I was wondering if Karl Joseph can play the FS position as he looked more of a SS, but seems to play in coverage very well. The fact that we signed the Detroit as a FS would give him the ability to ease into a role and take over if/when ready. Should be a 2nd round pick due to recovering from a non-contact ACL injury early in the season last year.

I simply want the Dolphins to draft talent regardless of position. We have a lot of holes so I would like to trade down if the price is right and accumulate picks in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds. The problem is, we've drafted so poorly between 2010 - 2013 that we don't really have players to trade (2014-2015 is still in evaluation), so it has to be sliding down to get extra picks. I wouldn't be surprised if we traded Cam Wake to a contender in the draft if we landed a young DE. We couldn't get him to restructure and he's 34 this year with a high cap number coming off injury. Personally I'd hate to see him go because he has been a difference maker for this team for many years.

Ezekiel Elliott is a different type of RB then Todd Gurley. Todd is a freakish athlete, whereas Zeke is a pure runner. Comparisons at this point don't matter since he is a 1st rounder on everyone's board, but if we invest in him with the 13th pick they have to fix the line. Great runners often make average lines look good, and average lines look good with great runners. We're too vested in our WR's and we need an O-line who can pass protect efficiently and doesn't get blown off the line (signifying strength issues along with quickness). Either way, we are starving for talent on this team and need a lot of help. Scheme, and coaching helps, but we need talent for it to make a difference.

I'm wondering when the scales are going to tip back into power running or effective balanced offense in the new pass happy NFL. As a result you see the devaluation of the RB, and bigger lineman (as opposed to finesse lineman). LB's are no longer averaging 240-250 lbs but 220-230 lbs in order to play coverage and teams look for 3 starting CB's to play 60-70% of the snaps. One day a team is gonna realize that the lighter LB's can't get off blocks and that they should start pounding the rock again while playing great defense...then the days of repeat Super Bowl champs will be back. Seattle almost did it two years ago but got cute and called the worst play in football SB history IMO. This league is a copy cat league so when one team does it successfully for a few years then some of the rest may choose to model their strategy after it.

I'm thinking that Joseph is more of a SS, and I just read a few minutes ago that Kendall Fuller is coming off of microfracture surgery and his knee is still not healthy, not good.

Back
Top Bottom