Cam Newton Projected to Fall | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cam Newton Projected to Fall

Have you not seen where CK posted that he only ran 12% of the time during a pass play? That doesn't seem like running IS his game.

ok heres some stats from his games

game rushes passes att com

1 15 14 9
2 18 19 11
3 17 14 7
4 25 21 16
5 1 19 14
6 28 21 13
7 25 14 10
8 28 16 10
9 11 24 18
10 8 21 15
11 30 15 12
12 22 20 13
13 14 28 17

so out of 13 games he had 8 games where he rushed the ball more than he even attempted to throw it. and out of 13 games only times did he complete more passes than he rushed for.

and for the season his stats were

passing rushing
185/280 264

so he runs it much more than he completes it. that sounds like hes a better runner than passer.

He's as mobile as he's always been... it just depends on where the pressure is coming from... it affects him different, but that goes for every quarterback.

If you try to pressure Peyton Manning off the edge, he's just going to step up into the pocket and pick you apart. If you pressure him from up the middle and force him to move and reset his feet, Peyton Manning becomes a completely different quarterback... he becomes average.

Same goes for Mallett... except Manning's eye level won't drop because of the pressure.. That's the problem Mallett has, he's going to have to play with better eye level when he's facing pressure.

As I said previously, he sees the field as well as any quarterback in college football.. his eyes and head are fine... he'll even pull a pump fake to hold a safety when given proper time in the pocket.

I'll be very surprised if Mallett isn't a better quarterback than Joe Flacco in 3 years... he's already a better prospect.

good lord...what i wouldn't give for a better than joe flacco qb

sounds like somebody is coming around on cam newton being worth the risk...come on board...there's room for more...

He's definitely worth the risk... at pick #50.

I'm not passing up Mark Ingram, Julio Jones, or Von Miller for that headcase or his father/coach/pimp/preacher/agent/PR Executive.

He's definitely worth the risk... at pick #50.

I'm not passing up Mark Ingram, Julio Jones, or Von Miller for that headcase or his father/coach/pimp/preacher/agent/PR Executive.

lol...i knew that was coming...von miller sure looks like a guy who was born to play 3-4 wolb...to play like he did in space at the senior bowl game on top of that rediculous pass rush talent is the icing on the cake...kids a phenom...that's all i can say...

chad henne has to see everything develop...he can't anticipate and he doesn't throw people open...against shell coverages you have to do both...and its because of him having to see everything develop that so many of his throws are a beat late tipped at the los eyeballs his targets for so long etc...tight red zone same issues... he gets away with a lot because of that big arm...

you might be able to hide some of his deficiencies with a legit running game and he can make plays against single high but in the end i think there's gonna be times where he's gonna have to make plays vs shell coverage and i just don't think you can teach chad henne to be something he's not...

imo the chad henne ship has sailed...i saw enough last year...i think defenses have figured him out and i think i've figured him out over the last 2 years

I agree with almost everything you said. Though, many QB's have gone through a slump in their second year. I'd like to think that Henne will rebound like some others have and the light will come on, but I just can't completely convince myself of that. Either way the fact still remains that we will get to see year three of Chad Henne for better or worse.

Honestly, I think Ryan Mallett's anticipation skills are average... he makes up for it with the strongest arm I've seen in college football since Jeff George came out of Illinios.

Mallett will find the open guy every single time and KILL you if you don't get pressure on him and force him to move his feet and reset...

He does a great job of noticing even the smallest mistake made in the back 7 of a defense... if there's a blown coverage assignment or a DB makes even the slightest mistake in technique.. Mallett will make the defense pay. I think his field vision is superior... he sees the entire field and processes information rapidly.

He'll work the entire field from sideline to sideline, short to long, high to low, deep middle, shallow crosses,... you won't shut him down with Cover-2... he'll use his checkdowns if he has to.

Although, I do agree with CK that he needs to be coached up on throwing the ball away and learning to fight another down in the NFL... the only question that needs to be answered there is "Is he coachable"?

I think he is coachable in that aspect.... teams will ascertain that for themselves in the interview process.

The "statue" bit with Mallett is a little over-exaggerated in my opinion though.... Mallett can operate outside the pocket and throw on the move when the play is designed for that, particularly in the red zone.

I like his ball handling skills and his attention to detail in that aspect... the top quarterback on my board.

Do you think Miami would pull the trigger if Mallet is there at 15? I have a hard time believing he'll fall but i'd love it if he did.

Do you think Miami would pull the trigger if Mallet is there at 15? I have a hard time believing he'll fall but i'd love it if he did.

I have no idea what these guys are (were) doing at the quarterback position, what their plans consist of (or ever did), or what they're (or ever were) trying to accomplish... never been able to understand it.

It doesn't seem like Mallett fits their "profile" though.... I'd be sur... no.. I'd be shocked if they took Ryan Mallett.

I have no idea what these guys are (were) doing at the quarterback position, what their plans consist of (or ever did), or what they're (or ever were) trying to accomplish... never been able to understand it.

It doesn't seem like Mallett fits their "profile" though.... I'd be sur... no.. I'd be shocked if they took Ryan Mallett.

What quarterbacks do you would fit their "profile"? If it's a larger version of Pat White I don't think I can bear it.

What quarterbacks do you would fit their "profile"? If it's a larger version of Pat White I don't think I can bear it.

Exactly.. Pat White was a 4 year starter in college, so he was automatically a candidate.

If they hold true to form, the first thing you can look at is starting experience. They want a guy with 4 years of starting experience, at the least 3 years.

You're looking at:

Jake Locker

Ricky Stanzi

Nathan Enderle

Pat Devlin

Colin Kaepernick

Andy Dalton

T.J. Yates

Ben Chappell

Tyrod Taylor

There might be one or two others who are very borderline, but you get the point. You can throw the 1 year wonders and 2 year enigmas out the window.

Next you probably have to look at things like durability, winning percentage, leadership, etc.

I agree with some of their "profiling" of quarterbacks...about 50% of it anyway.

Exactly.. Pat White was a 4 year starter in college, so he was automatically a candidate.

If they hold true to form, the first thing you can look at is starting experience. They want a guy with 4 years of starting experience, at the least 3 years.

You're looking at:

Jake Locker

Ricky Stanzi

Nathan Enderle

Pat Devlin

Colin Kaepernick

Andy Dalton

T.J. Yates

Ben Chappell

Tyrod Taylor

There might be one or two others who are very borderline, but you get the point. You can throw the 1 year wonders and 2 year enigmas out the window.

Next you probably have to look at things like durability, winning percentage, etc.

I agree with some of their "profiling" of quarterbacks...about 50% of it anyway.

Thank you, I'll look at the guys you listed a little closer.

so out of 13 games he had 8 games where he rushed the ball more than he even attempted to throw it. and out of 13 games only times did he complete more passes than he rushed for.

and for the season his stats were

passing rushing
185/280 264

so he runs it much more than he completes it. that sounds like hes a better runner than passer.

He ran a lot but the vast majority of those runs were designed run plays. When a pass play was called he only ran 12 percent of the time. He is a very good runner but when he is called on to pass he is more than willing to throw the ball. That is not somebody who has a run first mentality.

Walter-Football has us taking Newton at 15 this year. This guy has gotten a lot of picks right in past mock drafts so we'll see. Says that this would make sense for us because Ross wants to put butts in the seats and make the Dolphins more exciting.Ross is like a dork who had always dreamed of sitting with the jocks and cheerleaders at lunch.

I believe he will fall past us, i dont see team investing top money in a player who is a project as a thrower.

certainly if he does fall, we don't take him. I mean a project as a thrower, to lead your new dynamic, explosive offense with your job on the line....

If they like Colin Kaepernick, then they like Cam Newton. They may not advertise it, though...for obvious reasons.

I thnk anyone that seizes to realize that needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

Could Kaep be a smoke screen? sure. Can it be legit? Definitely. What does he do that Cam doesn't do better? Not a single thing, therefore, when you evaluate two players similar in terms of not a traditional pocket passer, you cant' walk away and say he is better than Cam UNLESS you are speaking in terms of value, which is what Ireland I am assuming will do.

THey thought Henne was good value compared to Ryan at the One spot. They may think Kaep has more value in the second due to get an extra pick in moving back and a QB they like than a guy like newton at fifteen with the lack of a second. My point of view, you need to run into a wall at full speed to think you will get better value if not the same by going with Kaep. If you like Kaeps game, you have to LOVE Cams game because he is as pocket passer/scrambler as it gets. All in one deal and the scary part is, this 4.5 QB is throw 80% run 20% time of QB not a 50/50 or 40/60 guy, especially when looking at CK's write up on this guys pass to run ratio I saw on twitter. I think he ran only 4 times in one of the stats you put up a bit ago.

If we pass on Newton then you know that Ireland doesn't have the franchise's best LONG TERM interests in mind. He may be a project but he's got enough talent to be worthy of the 15th pick for us and it's at OUT POSITION OF GREATEST NEED.

I doubted that Vince Young was going to succeed in the NFL but he did (skill wise at least - he's just a head case). If Newton can develop into something similar - hopefully better than VY skill wise - and NOT be a total head case, then he'll have proven a solid pick for anywhere in the top of the 1st round.

Back
Top Bottom