Cam Newton Projected to Fall | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cam Newton Projected to Fall

In regard to Newton:

I have a friend who's a huge Steelers fan. And, I wanted to know his thoughts on Whitfield and how he impacted Rapeman. He said this:

MECHANICS

Ben always had the "i'll get it done with my arm" mentality. His Mechanics in terms of dropping back, planting, release points, etc were never his strong suit... He made it happen on pure skill... not refined skill.

He has improved, thanks to Whitfield in all the areas of a mechanical (machine) QB. His pocket delivery went from "good enough" to "top of the class".

They also focused on improving his strengths. They trained on mobility and recognition to improve his strongest qualities.

I have nothing but good things to say about Whitfield. He returned Ben to the Steelers in the best shape mentally and physically of his career. And turned a rough around the edges elite talent, into a more polished student of the game, while not trying to change anything about what made Ben great.

All around... A+ job. Making a QB like Ben MUCH better... is scary. He chad the best year of his career (statistics will never show it for a QB like him)... but he was in full command of the entire offense, and more sure of himself... making quicker decisions, delivering balls in tighter windows, and going downfield with even more accuracy.

Whitfield deserves a ring if they win

actually, he deserves a spot on the staff

Excuse some of the punctuation. The format the message was in only allows for so many characters, so things get disjointed at times.

On a side note... Ricky Stanzi has been working with Tom Martinez (Tom Brady's personal QB tutor) to help polish up his mechanics...

Should be holding a "full access" workout for the media to upstage the combine any day now..

On a side note... Ricky Stanzi has been working with Tom Martinez (Tom Brady's personal QB tutor) to help polish up his mechanics...

Should be holding a "full access" workout for the media to upstage the combine any day now..

Ha, good one. I think one player is working with a bit more than the other. When I think of Stanzi working with Martinez, I can't escape the image of someone polishing ****.

hey slimm...how do you think ryan mallet does with anticipation and throwing guys open??? do you think he's a guy that will consistently make plays vs shell coverages and in the tight red zone where the field condenses???

Why would it matter if he had a drive without running??? It's an aspect of his game that makes him extremely attractive as a prospect, you know... a strength!!!! Every team knew you had to stop him from running yet he still was able to, as CK has stated many times before he moves around and eludes defenders with his eyes down field before taking off. Which speaks volumes of him as a passing QB that keeps drives alive with his legs.

it matters because a running qb doesnt translate well to the nfl. running isnt an aspect of his game. it is his game. his passing is an aspect of his game. i would like to see if he can drop back and thread the needle to a covered wr. he hasnt proven that. what he has proven is that he can hit wide open recievers with nobody around.

hes a big strong kid who is very gifted. but he has always been head and shoulders physically above most of his competion, plus he was only a starter for a major college for 1 year. teams only got to see him once. we didnt get to see how they would change their game plan for a 2nd meeting. teams do adjust the second time around and things get harder. its just like the wildcat, at first it was great then once everybody caught on it didnt work anymore.

hey slimm...how do you think ryan mallet does with anticipation and throwing guys open??? do you think he's a guy that will consistently make plays vs shell coverages and in the tight red zone where the field condenses???

Honestly, I think Ryan Mallett's anticipation skills are average... he makes up for it with the strongest arm I've seen in college football since Jeff George came out of Illinios.

Mallett will find the open guy every single time and KILL you if you don't get pressure on him and force him to move his feet and reset...

He does a great job of noticing even the smallest mistake made in the back 7 of a defense... if there's a blown coverage assignment or a DB makes even the slightest mistake in technique.. Mallett will make the defense pay. I think his field vision is superior... he sees the entire field and processes information rapidly.

He'll work the entire field from sideline to sideline, short to long, high to low, deep middle, shallow crosses,... you won't shut him down with Cover-2... he'll use his checkdowns if he has to.

Although, I do agree with CK that he needs to be coached up on throwing the ball away and learning to fight another down in the NFL... the only question that needs to be answered there is "Is he coachable"?

I think he is coachable in that aspect.... teams will ascertain that for themselves in the interview process.

The "statue" bit with Mallett is a little over-exaggerated in my opinion though.... Mallett can operate outside the pocket and throw on the move when the play is designed for that, particularly in the red zone.

I like his ball handling skills and his attention to detail in that aspect... the top quarterback on my board.

it matters because a running qb doesnt translate well to the nfl. running isnt an aspect of his game. it is his game. his passing is an aspect of his game. i would like to see if he can drop back and thread the needle to a covered wr. he hasnt proven that. what he has proven is that he can hit wide open recievers with nobody around.

Have you not seen where CK posted that he only ran 12% of the time during a pass play? That doesn't seem like running IS his game.

hes a big strong kid who is very gifted. but he has always been head and shoulders physically above most of his competion, plus he was only a starter for a major college for 1 year. teams only got to see him once. we didnt get to see how they would change their game plan for a 2nd meeting. teams do adjust the second time around and things get harder. its just like the wildcat, at first it was great then once everybody caught on it didnt work anymore.

I will say this... Cam Newton has proven that he can win with his arm... I've seen it live and in person.

The only defensive coordinator he's faced twice was Ellis Johnson when Auburn faced South Carolina again in the SEC Championship Game...

Cam Newton ran wild on the Game****s the first game... the adjustments Ellis Johnson made for the rematch in the SEC title game was playing more man coverage in an attempt to keep Newton from running for almost 200 yards again.. which was successful. Cam didn't have nearly the same success on the ground...

Problem was, Newton was able to beat them with his arm...

Cam Newton has everything he needs physically to eventually be a very good NFL quarterback.... the only question is the intangibles, mental preparation, dedication to film study, and work ethic.

How he committs himself in these aspects is what's going to determine his NFL career... nothing physically or mechanically is going to decide it.... it's all there.

Honestly, I think Ryan Mallett's anticipation skills are average... he makes up for it with the strongest arm I've seen in college football since Jeff George came out of Illinios.

Mallett will find the open guy every single time and KILL you if you don't get pressure on him and force him to move his feet and reset...

He does a great job of noticing even the smallest mistake made in the back 7 of a defense... if there's a blown coverage assignment or a DB makes even the slightest mistake in technique.. Mallett will make the defense pay. I think his field vision is superior... he sees the entire field and processes information rapidly.

He'll work the entire field from sideline to sideline, short to long, high to low, deep middle, shallow crosses,... you won't shut him down with Cover-2... he'll use his checkdowns if he has to.

Although, I do agree with CK that he needs to be coached up on throwing the ball away and learning to fight another down in the NFL... the only question that needs to be answered there is "Is he coachable"?

I think he is coachable in that aspect.... teams will ascertain that for themselves in the interview process.

The "statue" bit with Mallett is a little over-exaggerated in my opinion though.... Mallett can operate outside the pocket and throw on the move when the play is designed for that, particularly in the red zone.

I like his ball handling skills and his attention to detail in that aspect... the top quarterback on my board.

i was looking at some stuff of mallets from his sophomore year and i swear he was more mobile in the pocket and made things happen more with his legs and looked a little leaner then than he does now...it wasn't drop your jaw impressive but it was more movement sidestepping in the pocket than i expected off the stuff i've seen this year...

i agree though if mallets got time and the protection holds up you are in trouble... kids arms rediculous which is something i always fall for...and like you said i've seen cover 2 safeties be late to the sideline and mallet throw 35 yard laser beams from the center of the field and the safety never even get a hand on the wr...plus his touch on the fade pattern in the endzone for such a bazooka arm is pretty darn impressive...

how bout his head movement...does he manipulate the safety with his eyes enough for you??? give away his intentions too much???

I can only hope so. Otherwise we won't get a crack at him.

hey CK, you think Cam Newton will do well at the NFL level? I honestly havent seen enough of him to be able to come to a conclusion of what i think of him as a prospect. If hes there at 15 you would definately take him?

I will say this... Cam Newton has proven that he can win with his arm... I've seen it live and in person.

The only defensive coordinator he's faced twice was Ellis Johnson when Auburn faced South Carolina again in the SEC Championship Game...

Cam Newton ran wild on the Game****s the first game... the adjustments Ellis Johnson made for the rematch in the SEC title game was playing more man coverage in an attempt to keep Newton from running for almost 200 yards again.. which was successful. Cam didn't have nearly the same success on the ground...

Problem was, Newton was able to beat them with his arm...

Cam Newton has everything he needs physically to eventually be a very good NFL quarterback.... the only question is the intangibles, mental preparation, dedication to film study, and work ethic.

How he committs himself in these aspects is what's going to determine his NFL career... nothing physically or mechanically is going to decide it.... it's all there.

sounds like somebody is coming around on cam newton being worth the risk...come on board...there's room for more...

i was looking at some stuff of mallets from his sophomore year and i swear he was more mobile in the pocket and made things happen more with his legs and looked a little leaner then than he does now...it wasn't drop your jaw impressive but it was more movement sidestepping in the pocket than i expected off the stuff i've seen this year...

i agree though if mallets got time and the protection holds up you are in trouble... kids arms rediculous which is something i always fall for...and like you said i've seen cover 2 safeties be late to the sideline and mallet throw 35 yard laser beams from the center of the field and the safety never even get a hand on the wr...plus his touch on the fade pattern in the endzone for such a bazooka arm is pretty darn impressive...

how bout his head movement...does he manipulate the safety with his eyes enough for you??? give away his intentions too much???

He's as mobile as he's always been... it just depends on where the pressure is coming from... it affects him different, but that goes for every quarterback.

If you try to pressure Peyton Manning off the edge, he's just going to step up into the pocket and pick you apart. If you pressure him from up the middle and force him to move and reset his feet, Peyton Manning becomes a completely different quarterback... he becomes average.

Same goes for Mallett... except Manning's eye level won't drop because of the pressure.. That's the problem Mallett has, he's going to have to play with better eye level when he's facing pressure.

As I said previously, he sees the field as well as any quarterback in college football.. his eyes and head are fine... he'll even pull a pump fake to hold a safety when given proper time in the pocket.

I'll be very surprised if Mallett isn't a better quarterback than Joe Flacco in 3 years... he's already a better prospect.

Back
Top Bottom