Can Burke turn last year’s so-so defense into a top unit? | Analysis | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can Burke turn last year’s so-so defense into a top unit? | Analysis

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Miami Dolphins defensive coordinator Matt Burke has a huge challenge on his hands. He must turn one of the NFL’s worst defenses last year — 29th in total defense and 30th in rushing defense — into a quality unit while using many of the same starters.
Burke, in his first year on the job, will focus first on stopping the run, something the Dolphins also failed to do effectively in 2016, when they finished 28th in rushing defense.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-countdown-20170718-story.html

I'm not 100% sure about "MANY" of the same starters. Both corners are returning. If you factor in Jones' injury (when our defense took a big hit), we have 2 new starting safeties. With Misi looking doubtful to start, only 1 returning starter at LB. DTs are the same, but DE is up in the air depending on our rotation.

6 returning starters, 5 new starters. Almost half our defense is new

I'm not 100% sure about "MANY" of the same starters. Both corners are returning. If you factor in Jones' injury (when our defense took a big hit), we have 2 new starting safeties. With Misi looking doubtful to start, only 1 returning starter at LB. DTs are the same, but DE is up in the air depending on our rotation.

6 returning starters, 5 new starters. Almost half our defense is new

Our run defense wasn't much different with Jones in there if I remember correctly. I think it's clear that our weakness is going to be on the defensive side of the ball, and we still need a lot more from our front 7. On top of that we are really depending on development in our secondary.

There's hope, but I will be satisfied with a mere defensive improvement this year.

If Timmons, Raekwon and the mermaid dude form the Rams can improve our run D significantly like they should, and if Harris can get after the QB with fresh legs, you're damn right this D will be a top unit. FS and DT are the other areas of concern, but Nate Allen is a solid vet and McDonald was a smart pick up. I also love how we drafted Godchaux to push Phillips, Phillips is inconsistent and needs to play more like Suh, but still an extremely talented DT that could develop e.g Soliai.

Many of the same starters?!?! 2 out of 3 lbs are new, both the safeties(as Jones was done in week 6), our CB were always missing one starter all season, 2 new DEs, Earl mitchel is gone. We added by signing or trading 4 defenders who will start or get 50% or more of defensive snaps. We also drafted 5 defensive players, and get our all pro safety back from the IR.

Many of the same starters?!?! 2 out of 3 lbs are new, both the safeties(as Jones was done in week 6), our CB were always missing one starter all season, 2 new DEs, Earl mitchel is gone. We added by signing or trading 4 defenders who will start or get 50% or more of defensive snaps. We also drafted 5 defensive players, and get our all pro safety back from the IR.
Are you saying Wake won't start?

Wake is starting, Suh, Phillips (who started 11 games last year), I don't think Branch will start. Kiko is starting, Maxwell, Howard, Reshad Jones (started 6 games last year)...so 7 out of 11 starters...that makes many of the same starters.

Wake is starting, Suh, Phillips (who started 11 games last year), I don't think Branch will start. Kiko is starting, Maxwell, Howard, Reshad Jones (started 6 games last year)...so 7 out of 11 starters...that makes many of the same starters.

Doesn't matter if Wake is starting or not, or Branch for that matter, we improved the DE position as a unit. We're replacing worthless Mario and basically nothing with Hayes and Harris. That's extremely significant in the NFL, but not significant if you are just looking at the "starters". It's almost like saying Jim Kiick and Mercury Morris didn't make Miami's backfield that much better in the 70's, because they weren't "starters" lol. Football is the ultimate team game, depth is critical.

I'd like to think the defense will improve. If not, Tannehill and company will have to routinely score 30 a game to give them a chance.

The majority of the QBs they face this year are all top notch.

Jones started 6 games, so that means he didn't start more than than he did, and the same is true for Howard. When you subtract those 2 thats more than half of our starters will be different. Wake didn't start 5 games and only played 51% of the snaps on defense. The top 4 DE's last season were all hovering around 50% of the snaps, so replacing Jones and Williams with Harris and Hayes is just like adding two new starters.

The gist of the article was the guy was saying Burke has to turn around the defense with the same roster, and that is intirely untrue. Starting is such an overrated stat on defense, as it is not indictitive of snaps like it is on offense. Here is a link to snaps played, and see how much of the % of defensive snaps we replaced: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/mia/2016-snap-counts.htm

To name a few Michael Thomas had 49%, Rambo 40%, Donald Butler 30%, Jason Jones 44%, Mario Wiliiams 38%, Tony Lippet 78%, Jenkins 32%, Earl Mitchel 26%, those are huge % of defensive snaps that will not be duplicated, as all but 2 are no longer with the team, and only Lippett has a chance to come any where near thoose numbers. This is a very different defensive roster.

Just curious. With all these injury excuses being laid out pertaining to last season, who thinks the defensive unit will go unscathed this year?

I'd be happy with top 15. That alone would be a massive help to this team and given what we can expect with the offense and ST it should be enough to put the Fins back in the post season.

I have more faith the offense can be a "top unit", while the defense can improve to decent or slightly above average.

Plus, in at least a few games last year, the defense got no help from the offense for entire halves, being on the field almost constantly and having to keep the team in the game on their own for extended periods. My point is a much better offense will only help the defense, let them rest, make adjustments, etc.

Back
Top Bottom