Chad Henne performance clouded by drops | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chad Henne performance clouded by drops

to me it looked like he wasnt getting a good grip with the mud and it being wet imo, and didnt want to take a chance. it slipped out of his hand a couple of times

I didn't see improved touch last night. In fact I saw the same Qb from last year, albeit we only saw a little over one quarter.

Henne locks onto his main target, if that guy is not open he'll dump-off. If the dump-off is covered, or there is no dump-off he panics. It's the same story each time.

He doesn't go through all his reads, he doesn't pumpfake, shift a safety with his head/eyes, and his throwing motion is long. He's the equivalent of a closer with one pitch, a fastball.

i also think it has alot to do with the coachs only giving him 3.5 seconds to get the ball out in practice, which will cause you to lock onto a wr.

I saw alot of the first half, I think he looked very uncomfortable in that rain but he did have a few drops that made his night look worse. All that really matters is he got a little work in and came out of the game healthy.

My analysis of Henne:

You can see he is trying to work on his touch. Working on it and perfecting it are two totally different things, so Henne will be behind in this area for awhile until he is able to use it more. The encouraging sign is that he took velocity off of a couple of his short balls trying to lob it in there which you NEVER saw last year. Now the accuracy on those touch passes left little to be excited for, but he will work on it and either get or not. At least he's working on it.

Good throws to Marshall, the 1st was in very tight coverage, but Marshall will still usually come down with that. Pass #2 to Marshall was perfectly thrown. These are the patterns that Henne has always excelled at, deep down the middle (crossing or post patterns).

Looked a little shaky in the pocket, but I have always thought his pocket presence was above average, so I think this had more to do with playing in the dirt and on a wet field.

Didn't go through all progressions on every play, not easy to do, but still has some work to do on this. If WR 1 isn't open, you don't automatically check down to your RB b/c we have other WR's that can catch the ball. He needs to be able to go through at least 2 WR/TE reads before checking down (unless the pressure is too much).

Overall, it was very difficult to evaluate Henne's overall performance due to the weather which probably drove the very vanilla offense. I saw maybe just a slight improvement from last year but it's still encouraging to see him working on his touch passes on 5 yard throws. Not calling him our saviour yet, but also not bashing him saying he will fail. I think both sides are wrong, it's just too early to tell.

It was everyone's first game action in over 7 months. Hard to say anyone's lackluster performance was anything more than jitters at this point. If the trend continues into several preseason games, THEN we'll have something to talk about.

Henne will be fine, people on this board need to stop overreacting...i know its not gonna happen but it gets ridiculous. It was a limited playbook and they played for the first time in 7 months in sloppy conditions. No doubt Henne has things to work on but lets not blow it out of proportion...

Henne did not perform well contrary to what some might say.

His ball placement was spotty. He continued checking down to guys that were either not open, or only a couple of yards beyond the LOS. His deepest throws were the 15 yard diig to Marshall, who dropped it, and the 15 yard pass to Hartline on 3rd & 10.

But otherwise, he made mistakes.

Hartline runs a drag and Henne puts the ball so low that he can't get YAC.

He sails one about 6 feet above David Martin's head in the short sone.

He rolled out and had Fasano out front open and good for 10 yards, or David Martin rolling with them and right in Henne's sight lines about 10 yards deeper down the field than Fasano. Henne threw it to Fasano.

Like someone mentioned that dumpoff to Ricky where he was well covered and Ricky let the ball dribble out of his hands rather than take the loss, Henne should have found something better to do with the football.

Then there's another flare he throws to Ricky, but it was actually a lateral and it was the wrong call for the zone defense that the Bucs were showing pre-snap (Davone Bess was in motion to see if anyone is covering him in man, nobody was, it was all pure zone.

That 1-step slant that Marshall "dropped" was really an ill-placed ball by Henne, which allowed E.J. Biggers to get his hands all inside where Marshall was trying to catch it, and on further review it wasn't a drop so much as Biggers made a good play and locked Marshall's hands so that he couldn't haul it in.

Even if you look at one of his two best throws of the night, the deep dig that Marshall dropped, the Dolphins had both Marshall and Hartline singled up on DBs and the guy covering Hartline couldn't handle his speed, Henne could have pushed that ball vertically and had Hartline run under it. He chose the 15 yarder to Marshall instead.

It just wasn't a good day for him. Even if you add back the three catches, one of which I do not agree with adding back (the slant), he'd end up what, 8 of 11 for 60 yards? That's 5.5 YPA with no touchdowns or even field goals scored.

It was a bad performance by Henne. He needs to pick it up.

So says the man who thinks Henne does NOT have concerns with the aforementioned areas of his game... they are KNOWN issues with him.

Once again, you post with nothing to back up your arguments.

If they are such well KNOWN problems then you should be able to provide me some data to back up your claims. If you can't then your post are moot.

Henne did not perform well contrary to what some might say.

His ball placement was spotty. He continued checking down to guys that were either not open, or only a couple of yards beyond the LOS. His deepest throws were the 15 yard diig to Marshall, who dropped it, and the 15 yard pass to Hartline on 3rd & 10.

But otherwise, he made mistakes.

Hartline runs a drag and Henne puts the ball so low that he can't get YAC.

He sails one about 6 feet above David Martin's head in the short sone.

He rolled out and had Fasano out front open and good for 10 yards, or David Martin rolling with them and right in Henne's sight lines about 10 yards deeper down the field than Fasano. Henne threw it to Fasano.

Like someone mentioned that dumpoff to Ricky where he was well covered and Ricky let the ball dribble out of his hands rather than take the loss, Henne should have found something better to do with the football.

Then there's another flare he throws to Ricky, but it was actually a lateral and it was the wrong call for the zone defense that the Bucs were showing pre-snap (Davone Bess was in motion to see if anyone is covering him in man, nobody was, it was all pure zone.

That 1-step slant that Marshall "dropped" was really an ill-placed ball by Henne, which allowed E.J. Biggers to get his hands all inside where Marshall was trying to catch it, and on further review it wasn't a drop so much as Biggers made a good play and locked Marshall's hands so that he couldn't haul it in.

Even if you look at one of his two best throws of the night, the deep dig that Marshall dropped, the Dolphins had both Marshall and Hartline singled up on DBs and the guy covering Hartline couldn't handle his speed, Henne could have pushed that ball vertically and had Hartline run under it. He chose the 15 yarder to Marshall instead.

It just wasn't a good day for him. Even if you add back the three catches, one of which I do not agree with adding back (the slant), he'd end up what, 8 of 11 for 60 yards? That's 5.5 YPA with no touchdowns or even field goals scored.

It was a bad performance by Henne. He needs to pick it up.

I don't agree with the 1 step Marshall slant. TB had a safety sitting on the slant if Henne threw it in front of Marshall. Marshall had Biggers on his hips and the safety in front of him. If Henne leads Marshall, the ball is picked by the safety. By throwing it a little behind Marshall, he takes away the safety and gives Marshall the chance to catch it. Marshall needs to catch that ball.

I agree with everything else you said though.

I don't agree with the 1 step Marshall slant. TB had a safety sitting on the slant if Henne threw it in front of Marshall. Marshall had Biggers on his hips and the safety in front of him. If Henne leads Marshall, the ball is picked by the safety. By throwing it a little behind Marshall, he takes away the safety and gives Marshall the chance to catch it. Marshall needs to catch that ball.

I don't agree with that AT ALL. The safety was not close enough to get a hand the ball if iwas thrown to Marshall's front shoulder. He threw it behind Marshall where Biggers was draped on him already.

Henne is a ham and egger.. I know everyone wants to believe that he is the answer but I think his flaws are not correctable.

He has suspect deep ball accuracy, touch, and pocket presence.

I think you should refer to your user name because with posts like this all I am hearing is..... "bla, bla, bla."

I don't agree with that AT ALL. The safety was not close enough to get a hand the ball if iwas thrown to Marshall's front shoulder. He threw it behind Marshall where Biggers was draped on him already.

I'll have to look at the highlights again, but I don't agree with your take initially. However, I've only seen the film once and need to see it again. You may be right, let me get back to you on that.

[video=youtube;P19A2cWdTLE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P19A2cWdTLE[/video]

:29 seconds is where to freeze it. Its hard to tell, but #26 on TB was closing fast. It looks like Henne could have placed the ball further ahead of Marshall though. Its hard to tell from this angle though if the safety actually had a chance at the ball with his positioning if its thrown in front of Marshall.

I finished my review of the first half last night.

Not only is Joe Berger playing his way into the starting job, but Grove was playing his way out of it.

Back
Top Bottom