CK's Mock Draft 3/27/09 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

CK's Mock Draft 3/27/09

Johnson is not a 3-4 defensive player. He needs to be a DE in 4-3.

As always CK does an interesting draft, but does have pretty good reasoning for his picks. Not a fan of Michael Johnson, but it's a decent draft.

Probably one of the worst mock drafts I have seen so far, but no one will really know until draft day.

IMHO, Taylor was always a hybrid OLB/DE and played both positions well, but it was when he played a bit more as an OLB in Saban's 34 sets that propelled Taylor to Defensive MVP. Saban played both a 43 and 34, and Taylor was often the difference in that formation, despite playing a similar role in both.

I just have to mention though, Doug Betters was a fantastic DE and also about 6'6. He knocked down a lot of passes and it seemed that when opposing QB's threw left, they often threw with poor accuracy ... which I always thought was in part due to worrying about Betters knocking down the ball. ;)

Again....neither were true 3-4 OLB's in the NFL.

Ted Hendricks

Actually he was a good example....but he didn't always play at linebacker. A bit of history....what Headcoach moved him from DE to OLB....Shula. So for all the years that have gone by...one player at 6'7" 220 that played OLB.

Again....neither were true 3-4 OLB's in the NFL.

What makes him a true OLB, 15 years playing the position or excelling at the position and winnning DPOY? I think when he was asked to play OLB he did and played great. to say he wasn't a true OLB is silly. That's like saying Leron McLain is not a true HB because he played FB as well.

What makes him a true OLB, 15 years playing the position or excelling at the position and winnning DPOY? I think when he was asked to play OLB he did and played great. to say he wasn't a true OLB is silly. That's like saying Leron McLain is not a true HB because he played FB as well.

I leave that to your imagination...but in the years that J, Taylor played for the Dolphins....he was a DE...not a OLB.

The Dolphins never played in a true 3-4 defense until Parcells...and what did Parcells do....dumped Taylor.

Wasn't it CK & Boomer who called both Allen & Ginn? With that type of track record.....

Maclin to the Ravens at 26 lolol come on man be serious. No way Nicks and Heyward Bey go in front of him!! No way the Raiders take Everette Brown in while Crabtree is on the board either. I value CK's opinion, but completely disagree on this one.

I leave that to your imagination...but in the years that J, Taylor played for the Dolphins....he was a DE...not a OLB.

The Dolphins never played in a true 3-4 defense until Parcells...and what did Parcells do....dumped Taylor.

Well my imagination tells me that Saban's hybrid 3-4 used him as a OLB, sure most of his career he played De, no argument. But he was a 6'6" OLB who won DPOY. If you don't think Saban used a 3-4 which he based off of Belichek we can talked about that too

Maclin to the Ravens at 26 lolol come on man be serious. No way Nicks and Heyward Bey go in front of him!! No way the Raiders take Everette Brown in while Crabtree is on the board either. I value CK's opinion, but completely disagree on this one.

No way Maclin goes ahead of Nicks or Heyward-Bey, you mean like how every single analyst has Maclin as the #2 receiver not Nick or Heyward-Bey. I think the Raiders aren't going to go after a Reciever in the first, I don't think they ever take a receiver in the first, that was something quoted by Gil brandt who knows Al pretty good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, we did nail the Ginn and Allen picks.

The only picks I've wanted to change so far were:

1. Sneaking Knowshon into the first round. He's falling but someone will take him.

2. Probably flip-flopping the Eagles and Ravens picks. I am thinking the Eagles will go with Maclin first and the Ravens would go with Heyward-Bey after that. The Ravens just recently sent Joe Flacco over to throw some passes with Heyward-Bey.

Every mock draft is "one of the worst I've seen" to some people out there. The bottom line is you either know what you're talking about and are ready to back up your opinion with a knowledge of the facts...or you don't.

Fact of the matter is, by the time I got to the #25 pick, I see a lot of people off the board. Much as I wish they'd take him, I don't see Miami having interest in Jarron Gilbert.

Much as I'm tempted to have them take Darius Butler or Sean Smith, I refuse to project them using a first round pick on a cornerback UNTIL I see Parcells and Ireland sign off on taking a corner high in the draft. Right now, the history just is not there. There is no proof that Jeff Ireland wanted Terrance Newman, and we know for a fact that Parcells wanted Kevin Williams in that draft and was told by Larry Lacewell and Jerry Jones that they would be taking Newman instead. Looking at the draft history aside from Newman (who was an override), when have you ever seen Parcells or Ireland use a high pick on a cornerback? I don't even know if they have ever selected one in the second or third round, to be honest. Look at their free agency dealings. Last year everyone SCREAMED for some more corners. What did they do? They didn't even sign one, let alone draft one. Now, we lose Andre Goodman, and everyone screams again for a corner. One by one the better cornerbacks get snapped up, and nothing from Miami...until they get the super dynamic and all world prospect ERIC GREEN. These guys don't value the corner position that highly IMO.

So I'm standing here looking at our options at #25 given whom I have going where...and who else would we take?

Laurinaitis? For a 3-4 defense? Really?

Receiver? I believe a receiver is possible, but Nicks is already off the board and I have a real tough time projecting underclassmen track stars who never met a pro receiver route they liked all the way at #25 in the draft. On the other hand, Kenny Britt IS a possibility if things fall the way I have them. Just, not necessarily the possibility that I see in Michael Johnson.

Who else? Ziggy Hood and Peria Jerry gone. Robert Ayers gone. B.J. Raji LONG gone. Aaron Maybin gone. No Brian Orakpo or Everette Brown (though I personally don't know if I'd take them anyway). No Clay Matthews, Rey Maualuga or Brian Cushing...gone, gone, gone.

So, who? No QBs, no RBs, no OTs, no OCs, probably no OGs, probably no TEs, probably no CBs (again, IMO), no Safeties...

That leaves:

Kenny Britt
Jeremy Maclin (or Darius Heyward-Bey)
Percy Harvin
Ron Brace
Jarron Gilbert
Michael Johnson
Connor Barwin
Larrry English
James Laurinaitis

Like I said, Laurinaitis in a 3-4? Not seeing it. Also, unfortunately, not seeing interest in Gilbert. A defensive tackle that can't crack a 5.5 going at #25? Not seeing it. An underclassman who never met a pro receiver route he liked? Not seeing it.

The realistic possibilities are Kenny Britt, Connor Barwin, Michael Johnson and Larry English. Among those, English' grade is not holding up. He didn't play good competition and he's not testing out well. At this point I'm not sure what he has as a prospect that Paul Kruger does not. If you're going to go with a prospect of THAT particular nature, you can wait until the second round. Kenny Britt, very possible but I'm just not quite sold. Connor Barwin or Michael Johnson? Both test out just as well. People want to say that Johnson is more of an underachiever, but why? Barwin was a backup tight end at Cincinnati for years despite all of that athleticism. He performed well on defense this year but he goes from tight end one year, to defensive end the next year, to linebacker the year after that? I do NOT see that. The guy is raw as an onion, and can make you cry as much as one too if you try and put him out at linebacker early and expect him to "get it" right away. He doesn't even "get" defensive end. Now he's supposed to "get" linebacker? Not to mention I've seen the guy pass rush and I'm not totally convinced he's the same quality pass rusher as Michael Johnson. Johnson has been taking on pro quality prospects and beating them for years...he just wasn't a started until this year because he didn't have the stamina.

Last year around this pick they brought in a guy in Phil Merling whom they knew could make an impact as a role player, but whom they knew needed a while in their off season training and conditioning program before he'd be ready to do anything special. I see Michael Johnson as much the same way.

Could I change the pick? Yeah. Like I said, I think they could go with Kenny Britt, MAYBE even Darius Butler or Sean Smith even though it would be basically the first time they've ever valued a CB that high...maybe Connor Barwin too, though I have a hunch on Johnson. And, if something leads me to change my mock to where I have Maybin, Matthews or Cushing dropping to #25, I would have any of those guys going over Michael Johnson.

But this is how I have it.

Back
Top Bottom