Colts Want to Reunite Sean Smith with Vontae?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fintastical, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Fintastical

Fintastical Active Member

2. kitt23

kitt23 Starter

i wouldn't care, let them overpay

3. kvado16

kvado16 A True Fan

Oh please let this happen!

4. Fintastic2124

Fintastic2124 A True Fan

We play them, so we'll run to smith's side and throw deep to Davis' side.

5. Locke

Locke They looked like strong hands.

I'm going to call it now. If we let Sean Smith walk, it's going to bite us in the ***. We simply don't have the resources to replace 2 starting WRs, starting TE, starting LT/RT, 2 starting CBs, and whatever else everyone wants to let walk because how dare they not play for the vet minimum. Smith is a competant CB who has had success against high-end WRs in this league. You don't replace that so easily...

6. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

For the right price why not. Davis is by far the superior cb overall throughout his career though. Seems stupid to overpay for any team.

7. Miamibyrd

Miamibyrd Well-Known Member

We need to move forward, Smith time is done in MIA.

8. fanfin

fanfin A True Fan

"And 2nd year Quarterback Ryan Tannehill broke Norm Van Brocklin's single season passing game, becoming the first qb to ever eclipse 600 yards passing in one game"

9. SunsPhinsfan03

SunsPhinsfan03 A True Fan

Didn't work for us....won't work for them.

10. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

Hmm 8 to 10 million is a long way from the veterans minimum.

11. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

The Colts aren't going to grab this guy. After seeing what they got from Vontae, they certainly aren't going to be paying big money for an even worse corner...

12. 67Stang

67Stang FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

HAHA at releasing (or not resigning) Sean Smith biting us in the ***. Seriously what has he done that is note worthy? Nothing, not one single thing. He is a dime a dozen DB who has trouble tackling and takes 20 yards to turn once he gets spun around.

13. LVFinsFan

LVFinsFan Scout Team

And has dropped a ton a picks.

Sent from my LT28at using Tapatalk 2

14. Fintastic17

Fintastic17 A True Fan

I agree to an extent with the poster above, he had success against everyone the first half of the season and EVERYONE was talking elite. And he played very well against "big name" receivers like Johnson and the monster that is Green, so we know the capability is there. If he lowers to 6 -6.5 mil I would ink him up before the minute passed. I don't like the idea of creating holes in an offseason where it's already difficult enough as is to fill all of them, but I also don't like the idea of over paying for potential.

15. mfish41

mfish41 It is what it is Donator

It's going to be great on this board next season when we're getting torched through the air. The NFL becomes a more open/pass oriented league so what does Jeff Ireland do? He does away with his two proven CB's over a span of 7 months. The grass isn't always greener, which i guess a lot of people didn't learn when we traded Brandon Marshall with no contingency plan.

16. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

well our pass defense wasnt that great this year but i still dont agree with trading Vontae

17. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

Aside from an ability to not only not make a big play but dropping numerous Int's, Sean Smith led the league in allowing 1st downs and TDs combined. His lack of production won't be hard to replace.

18. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Burn the Jolly Roger Moderator Finheaven VIP

I think when they traded away davis , they made the decision that smith was their guy going forward. I will be shocked if smith isn't a dolphin next year.

19. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

Um we were getting torched with Smith hell he was the one usually torched. I don't get the "yeah let's create more holes" whining when Smith is the biggest hole on our secondary.

20. LouieO25

LouieO25 Rookie

Sean"Stonehands"Smith....C YA!! Guy's softer than a box of Kleenex Tired of his act....Period!

21. gerblack

gerblack That Guy Finheaven VIP Donator

What hole why cant we get a better FA CB since there are many out there for about the same money as we would pay S.Smith? What is Grimes and the like looking for?

22. iambanned

iambanned Banned Hammered

So I take it that no one in the Colts front office was there when Smith embarrassed himself against the Colts in that game last year? Ty Hilton's go-ahead TD? Doesn't ring any bells? Sean Smith's career nutshell in one play? Didn't see that?

hahahahahahahah

23. dcnr226

dcnr226 A True Fan Donator

Amen.

24. flynryan15

flynryan15 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

We have become so mediocre fans beg to keep average players that are a liability

25. ReppinThe941

ReppinThe941 Well-Known Member

People who think letting Smith walk is a good idea due to him not being elite is idiotic. We have ZERO depth a corner and Smith, while not being lock down nor a game changer at this point, is still head and shoulders better than any of our other options this off-season. Smith has a big frame, can run, and is a guy we need to match up against the bigger more physical wr's. If Smith walks via FA for 8mill per somewhere else it will haunt us for years. He's only 25 and has already garnered so much valuable experience. The guy is still developing and his ceiling is astronomical. He could very well develop into an elite cb over the next few seasons. Another thing I don't understand is why so many poster's on here have sooooo much hate for him. I mean he played very solid for us last season. Did he have some harsh moments? sure did but name me one corner in football anywhere who didnt get beat a few times..... That happens. Also yeah he may not hit like a freight train like Vontae but when he gets his hands one you you go down. According to PFF he had a great percentage of making tackles. Granted PFF is not a extremely valuable source but still they do their research.

In conclusion.... If those of you that want Smith gone get their wish, they will be filled with regret down the road. Smith is the best corner available to us this league year maybe other than Milliner. And that would call for a huge trade up.

We cant afford to lose Smith, period. Pay they man 8mill per and cut Marshall ($4mill per) and Patterson($4mill per). Then let Caroll, McCann, and multiple draft picks compete for the other boundary. We have so many holes and can fill a huge one right here locking down our very good but not spectacular yet still developing #1 CB.

I can't seriously be the only one who feeels this way?

BTW The colts were foolish for trading for VD but they are dead on trying to nab Smith.

26. ReppinThe941

ReppinThe941 Well-Known Member

And if you actually rewatch that play... Smith had responsibility elswhere yet he made the read and floated back to cut that route off from the backside. It was actually great diagnosis by him... He failed to make the play on the ball granted... But that was not a "horrid" play as so many fans on here seem to think.
    And he had far fewer moments like that than he did had moments like 2 int's against Fitz.. one of the games best

27. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

As it looks right now, our starting CB's will be Patterson and Marshall. Not because of talent but because of price tags. Each is making over 4 million so no way we pay those two and invest 8 million in a third corner.

28. matt11390

matt11390 Starter

I agree a new hole is created bug realistically it will take multiple drafts to fill all of them. You have unrealistic expectations if you think we can fill them all with this one Draft.

29. illscriptures

illscriptures We need better LB's

Sean Smith is our biggest hole in the Secondary?!?!?! Have you guys seen Nolan Carroll play before??? How about Richard Marshall? You guys wouldn't know a good DB if it was staring you in the face and you had the #12 overall pick in the draft... neither would Jeff Ireland for that matter.

We have one of the worst secondary in the league. And it isn't because of Smith.

30. SizzlingFins04

SizzlingFins04 The Futures of the NFL

Smith will leave and become that shut down corner. Bank it. Its how it always goes down. They play in miami and suck then leave and become great and vice versa. Smith is a good cover corner. Now when you ask him to play zone then he becomes a liability. A lot of people on this board just watch the football game instead of actually analyzing the play. This isnt baseball where no matter where the ball is hit or who its hit too, every player already knows their assignment. Letting sean smith walk is just plain stupid (unless we sign grimes or cox) other than that you dont let him walk. Even if we plan to go after milliner.

31. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

I do not understand some of your fascinations with this guy. I hear constantly about his "physical tools" and that one argument is growing extremely tired. You holler for upside, yet he is entering his 5th season, wouldn't you think he would have hit his prime LAST season? News flash, there is no upside to a CB who has several years of experience with 5 INTs in 65 career games. He isn't a rookie with one down season, it's a consistent performance of overwhelming mediocrity with this guy. Absolutely nothing screams shut down corner/ball hawk about him, it's the polar opposite. . I have seen Randy Starks ON THE LINE make more impact on the ball than Smith.

There is no way I let this guy eat up anywhere near $10m of the cap space which is so essential in building up the team into a perennial contender. My means of replacing him? Either trade up for Miller in swapping our 1st round pick into the top 6-8 while trading 3a (I would push hard for 3a, but may consider a 2nd rounder for Milliner), draft Desmond Trufant with a 2nd, or draft either Trufant OR Milliner while signing a Derek Cox in free agency. I wish luck to Smith where ever he goes, but he is just out of his damn mind in self-valuing himself. It's ludicrous.

32. JCane

JCane Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

A group of guys (secondary) being the worst is never because of one guy (Sean Smith).

I think the real issue here is Sean Smith wanting $10M.

He's not out there on Sunday earning $10M. One man is only worth what another man is willing to pay for him, and this man doesn't think he's worth $10M.

33. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

So you have looked into a crystal ball and know for a fact that Smith (the definition of mediocrity) is better/going to be better than players like Dee Milliner, Johnathan Banks and Desmond Trufant who have never played a down in the NFL yet? Rookies have upside. 5 year veterans do not.

34. raving

raving Starter

I I Think the back story of Vontae's brother in Washington DC - who has been schizophrenic his whole adult life as I understand it, bashed two people over the head in fit of random violence.

Vontae has never been the same.

People do not realize that this likely crushed Vontae. He looked crushed getting cut from the Dolphins on the HBO show -

My guess is that the Colts may see an opportunity - if Vontae is somewhat immature and struggling - if they can create a context where Vontae can recover and tap into that G-d gifted ability.

35. Imperium

Imperium FinHeaven VIP

Smith had his moments so we can’t just replace him with any old guy off the street but resigning him because we don’t want to create another hole is just asking for trouble. The secondary may suffer for a year or two but let’s be realistic, unless we hit some major homeruns in free agency and the draft, we’re not going to address every problem with this team in one offseason. Let Smith test the market. Worst case is we need to find a stop gap for a season.

36. retarmyfinfan

retarmyfinfan Brave Rifles Donator

Send him packing now

37. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

When has that ever happened?

Fans keep declaring "we'll regret it!!!!!" and it never occurs. Matt Roth didnt turn into a sack master. Channing Crowder didnt turn into the next Ray Lewis. Zach Thomas retired after playing a forgettable season in Dallas. Jason Taylor sucked in Washington and wasnt much better for the Jets. Patrick Surtain had some forgettable seasons in KC. Randy McMichael is a backup used for blocking. Will Allen is basically out of the league. Vernon Carey retired. Chris Chambers is out of the league. Sam Madison was solid for New York, but retired quickly as well. Jason Allen sucks. Patrick Turner blows. Clyde Gates had a single good game for the Jets. Greg Camarillo is all but out of the league. Ted Ginn is laughable. None of our former running backs have done anything worthwhile. And our former quarterbacks have proven to be god awful.

So when has a former player haunted us? Where is this persistent fear coming from? Wes Welker is it. Maybe Rob Ninkovich. A slot receiver and a rotational linebacker. Hardly the blackmark people make it out to be.

38. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Just think, if they overpay for Smith, Vontae will want to get PAID bigtime

39. SizzlingFins04

SizzlingFins04 The Futures of the NFL

Brandon Marshall, Erik Walden, Adewale Ogunleye, Donald Lee didnt do to bad with green bay, Larry Izzo, hell even Sammy Morris out did himself. Im sure theres plenty more to name but off my head these stuck out. What's better though is how this thread is about Sean Smith staying or going and your trying to argue about my analogy.

40. petefins

petefins Go DOLPHINS

I kinda forget who drafted these two CB's. Can someone remind me?