Colts Want to Reunite Sean Smith with Vontae? | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Colts Want to Reunite Sean Smith with Vontae?

good for INDY i hope they enjoy the 1 INT they pick between them

Trading Vontae was a mistake, but I don't see the need to compound that mistake by giving Sean Smith money he hasn't earned and never will earn. If letting Smith walk is going to decimate our secondary... then that just shows it was a mistake to trade Vontae. If you're going to do a thing like that it should be part of a larger plan with depth ready to step up, not some ad hoc thing that leaves your dangle in the wind.

My first option would be to look into signing Derek Cox. He's got the biggest boom to bust ratio (with his injury history), but when healthy he's a legitimate corner in the league. I'm also intrigued with Tracy Porter. My understanding is he has some injury concerns also, but he also has top flight ability. Whatever we do there's no guarantees, and that includes taking Milliner, Banks or Rhodes. Kevin Coyle had a remarkable record turning chicken **** into chicken soup at corner in Cincinnati, so all there is to do is hope he can put something together that will get us through at least this year, not that this year is going to be any more spectacular than last year. :lol:

I'd agree with this, assuming there is an enormous difference in the amount Smith makes, as compared to what Derek Cox or Brent Grimes is going to make. I'm just convinced that the top tier of FA CBs, which I would say those 3 fall into, are going to command similar salaries. If Smith gets 7M per year and Ireland snags Cox at 4-5M per year, I see the advantage. If they are within a million of each other, I just don't see the point. Or, also a likely scenario, Smith signs somewhere early, and Ireland is forced to go after one of the remaining guys hard, driving up their price. If he is forced to find 2 starting CBs in the draft, that's just more offense being neglected.

We already have a glaring hole at CB, likely being filled by one of Miami's first 3 picks. Adding a second one, with so many other needs already there, seems like a step-backwards. If I'm Ireland, I give Smith a deal similar to the one Soliai got, 3 years, allowing both Miami and Smith to reevaluate when other needs have been filled. Smith is 25, so it gives him the opportunity to chase another payday, and it would keep Miami free from being forced to carry him on the roster if they don't want him. I just think we have too many glaring needs without adding more of them...

I'd agree with this, assuming there is an enormous difference in the amount Smith makes, as compared to what Derek Cox or Brent Grimes is going to make. I'm just convinced that the top tier of FA CBs, which I would say those 3 fall into, are going to command similar salaries. If Smith gets 7M per year and Ireland snags Cox at 4-5M per year, I see the advantage. If they are within a million of each other, I just don't see the point. Or, also a likely scenario, Smith signs somewhere early, and Ireland is forced to go after one of the remaining guys hard, driving up their price. If he is forced to find 2 starting CBs in the draft, that's just more offense being neglected.

We already have a glaring hole at CB, likely being filled by one of Miami's first 3 picks. Adding a second one, with so many other needs already there, seems like a step-backwards. If I'm Ireland, I give Smith a deal similar to the one Soliai got, 3 years, allowing both Miami and Smith to reevaluate when other needs have been filled. Smith is 25, so it gives him the opportunity to chase another payday, and it would keep Miami free from being forced to carry him on the roster if they don't want him. I just think we have too many glaring needs without adding more of them...

There should be. Smith is coming off his best season, while Grimes is coming off an achilles injury and Cox has been injured off and on his entire career. Both Cox and Grimes would be likely to sign two year deals heavy on incentives, hoping to stay healthy throughout and get legit deals afterwards.

Smith wants money that assumes he will improve as much next year as he did last year. That's not a bet I'm willing to make. He's not taking Soliai's deal. No way. Nose tackles don't get the kind of money corners get. They don't play a high enough % of snaps, for one. And they're not as important, in any case.

One of our first three picks might indeed be a corner, but if you count on them coming in and starting all year you're asking for trouble. I remember how predictable our defense got in 2009 because of Smith and Davis' inexperience. Any shift or motion by the offense resulted in an automatic audible by the secondary to man coverage (Smith has talked about this in interviews), which allowed the offense to dictate coverages and (all too often), single up a tight end on Crowder in coverage.

The position must be filled in free agency one way or another. Just because Smith has started here doesn't mean he's not a free agent, especially since he's not going to take a hometown discount. We need to sign a few of these talented guys with question marks to incentive laden deals and a few journeymen and see which ones make it out of camp, then rely on Coyle, as I've said.

There should be. Smith is coming off his best season, while Grimes is coming off an achilles injury and Cox has been injured off and on his entire career. Both Cox and Grimes would be likely to sign two year deals heavy on incentives, hoping to stay healthy throughout and get legit deals afterwards.

Smith wants money that assumes he will improve as much next year as he did last year. That's not a bet I'm willing to make. He's not taking Soliai's deal. No way. Nose tackles don't get the kind of money corners get. They don't play a high enough % of snaps, for one. And they're not as important, in any case.

One of our first three picks might indeed be a corner, but if you count on them coming in and starting all year you're asking for trouble. I remember how predictable our defense got in 2009 because of Smith and Davis' inexperience. Any shift or motion by the offense resulted in an automatic audible by the secondary to man coverage (Smith has talked about this in interviews), which allowed the offense to dictate coverages and (all too often), single up a tight end on Crowder in coverage.

The position must be filled in free agency one way or another. Just because Smith has started here doesn't mean he's not a free agent, especially since he's not going to take a hometown discount. We need to sign a few of these talented guys with question marks to incentive laden deals and a few journeymen and see which ones make it out of camp, then rely on Coyle, as I've said.

My mistake, I didn't mean to infer that Smith would take the same deal Soliai did. I meant one similarly structured; specifically a short deal. Cox is only 26 and shown talent when not injured. He won't come cheap. Brent Grimes is 29, and while coming off a severe injury, has also shown talent. Being 29, he and his agent have to know this is their last chance at a big pay day, so I expect them to go for it. Plus, I doubt Smith comes away with his asking price. Soliai also wanted a stupid big contract, tested FA for a few days, then re-signed at a reasonable amount. I could see that happening as well. In fact, I don't think any of Miami's impending free agents get their asking price, with the exception of maybe Big Jake...

So I take it that no one in the Colts front office was there when Smith embarrassed himself against the Colts in that game last year? Ty Hilton's go-ahead TD? Doesn't ring any bells? Sean Smith's career nutshell in one play? Didn't see that?

hahahahahahahah
So true. That was his worst game of the season - how could he have impressed anyone?

An average CB who can actually hold on to an INT would be an upgrade over Smith. For the life of me, I can't figure out why Smith keeps dropping INTs... wasn't he a WR once?

BTW The colts were foolish for trading for VD but they are dead on trying to nab Smith.

Yeah that Colts gm clearly has no clue, his team just goes 11-5 mostly with a backup head coach. Yup ole Ireland sure pulled a fast one over him...

Back
Top Bottom