Colts Want to Reunite Sean Smith with Vontae? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Colts Want to Reunite Sean Smith with Vontae?

I do not understand some of your fascinations with this guy. I hear constantly about his "physical tools" and that one argument is growing extremely tired. You holler for upside, yet he is entering his 5th season, wouldn't you think he would have hit his prime LAST season? News flash, there is no upside to a CB who has several years of experience with 5 INTs in 65 career games. He isn't a rookie with one down season, it's a consistent performance of overwhelming mediocrity with this guy. Absolutely nothing screams shut down corner/ball hawk about him, it's the polar opposite. . I have seen Randy Starks ON THE LINE make more impact on the ball than Smith.

There is no way I let this guy eat up anywhere near $10m of the cap space which is so essential in building up the team into a perennial contender. My means of replacing him? Either trade up for Miller in swapping our 1st round pick into the top 6-8 while trading 3a (I would push hard for 3a, but may consider a 2nd rounder for Milliner), draft Desmond Trufant with a 2nd, or draft either Trufant OR Milliner while signing a Derek Cox in free agency. I wish luck to Smith where ever he goes, but he is just out of his damn mind in self-valuing himself. It's ludicrous.

Sean Smith is our biggest hole in the Secondary?!?!?! Have you guys seen Nolan Carroll play before??? How about Richard Marshall? You guys wouldn't know a good DB if it was staring you in the face and you had the #12 overall pick in the draft... neither would Jeff Ireland for that matter.

We have one of the worst secondary in the league. And it isn't because of Smith.

A group of guys (secondary) being the worst is never because of one guy (Sean Smith).

I think the real issue here is Sean Smith wanting $10M.

He's not out there on Sunday earning $10M. One man is only worth what another man is willing to pay for him, and this man doesn't think he's worth $10M.

People who think letting Smith walk is a good idea due to him not being elite is idiotic. We have ZERO depth a corner and Smith, while not being lock down nor a game changer at this point, is still head and shoulders better than any of our other options this off-season. Smith has a big frame, can run, and is a guy we need to match up against the bigger more physical wr's. If Smith walks via FA for 8mill per somewhere else it will haunt us for years. He's only 25 and has already garnered so much valuable experience. The guy is still developing and his ceiling is astronomical. He could very well develop into an elite cb over the next few seasons. Another thing I don't understand is why so many poster's on here have sooooo much hate for him. I mean he played very solid for us last season. Did he have some harsh moments? sure did but name me one corner in football anywhere who didnt get beat a few times..... That happens. Also yeah he may not hit like a freight train like Vontae but when he gets his hands one you you go down. According to PFF he had a great percentage of making tackles. Granted PFF is not a extremely valuable source but still they do their research.

In conclusion.... If those of you that want Smith gone get their wish, they will be filled with regret down the road. Smith is the best corner available to us this league year maybe other than Milliner. And that would call for a huge trade up.

We cant afford to lose Smith, period. Pay they man 8mill per and cut Marshall ($4mill per) and Patterson($4mill per). Then let Caroll, McCann, and multiple draft picks compete for the other boundary. We have so many holes and can fill a huge one right here locking down our very good but not spectacular yet still developing #1 CB.

I can't seriously be the only one who feeels this way?

BTW The colts were foolish for trading for VD but they are dead on trying to nab Smith.

So you have looked into a crystal ball and know for a fact that Smith (the definition of mediocrity) is better/going to be better than players like Dee Milliner, Johnathan Banks and Desmond Trufant who have never played a down in the NFL yet? Rookies have upside. 5 year veterans do not.

I I Think the back story of Vontae's brother in Washington DC - who has been schizophrenic his whole adult life as I understand it, bashed two people over the head in fit of random violence.

Vontae has never been the same.

People do not realize that this likely crushed Vontae. He looked crushed getting cut from the Dolphins on the HBO show -

My guess is that the Colts may see an opportunity - if Vontae is somewhat immature and struggling - if they can create a context where Vontae can recover and tap into that G-d gifted ability.

Smith had his moments so we can’t just replace him with any old guy off the street but resigning him because we don’t want to create another hole is just asking for trouble. The secondary may suffer for a year or two but let’s be realistic, unless we hit some major homeruns in free agency and the draft, we’re not going to address every problem with this team in one offseason. Let Smith test the market. Worst case is we need to find a stop gap for a season.

Smith will leave and become that shut down corner. Bank it. Its how it always goes down. They play in miami and suck then leave and become great and vice versa. Smith is a good cover corner. Now when you ask him to play zone then he becomes a liability. A lot of people on this board just watch the football game instead of actually analyzing the play. This isnt baseball where no matter where the ball is hit or who its hit too, every player already knows their assignment. Letting sean smith walk is just plain stupid (unless we sign grimes or cox) other than that you dont let him walk. Even if we plan to go after milliner.

When has that ever happened?

Fans keep declaring "we'll regret it!!!!!" and it never occurs. Matt Roth didnt turn into a sack master. Channing Crowder didnt turn into the next Ray Lewis. Zach Thomas retired after playing a forgettable season in Dallas. Jason Taylor sucked in Washington and wasnt much better for the Jets. Patrick Surtain had some forgettable seasons in KC. Randy McMichael is a backup used for blocking. Will Allen is basically out of the league. Vernon Carey retired. Chris Chambers is out of the league. Sam Madison was solid for New York, but retired quickly as well. Jason Allen sucks. Patrick Turner blows. Clyde Gates had a single good game for the Jets. Greg Camarillo is all but out of the league. Ted Ginn is laughable. None of our former running backs have done anything worthwhile. And our former quarterbacks have proven to be god awful.

So when has a former player haunted us? Where is this persistent fear coming from? Wes Welker is it. Maybe Rob Ninkovich. A slot receiver and a rotational linebacker. Hardly the blackmark people make it out to be.

Just think, if they overpay for Smith, Vontae will want to get PAID bigtime

When has that ever happened?

Fans keep declaring "we'll regret it!!!!!" and it never occurs. Matt Roth didnt turn into a sack master. Channing Crowder didnt turn into the next Ray Lewis. Zach Thomas retired after playing a forgettable season in Dallas. Jason Taylor sucked in Washington and wasnt much better for the Jets. Patrick Surtain had some forgettable seasons in KC. Randy McMichael is a backup used for blocking. Will Allen is basically out of the league. Vernon Carey retired. Chris Chambers is out of the league. Sam Madison was solid for New York, but retired quickly as well. Jason Allen sucks. Patrick Turner blows. Clyde Gates had a single good game for the Jets. Greg Camarillo is all but out of the league. Ted Ginn is laughable. None of our former running backs have done anything worthwhile. And our former quarterbacks have proven to be god awful.

So when has a former player haunted us? Where is this persistent fear coming from? Wes Welker is it. Maybe Rob Ninkovich. A slot receiver and a rotational linebacker. Hardly the blackmark people make it out to be.

Brandon Marshall, Erik Walden, Adewale Ogunleye, Donald Lee didnt do to bad with green bay, Larry Izzo, hell even Sammy Morris out did himself. Im sure theres plenty more to name but off my head these stuck out. What's better though is how this thread is about Sean Smith staying or going and your trying to argue about my analogy.

He has underachieved his hole time in the NFL . He is only about a 4 on a 10 scale if they want him please take him. The only way I want him in a dolphins uniforme is if its for about 5 mill a year eanything else would be a joke.

First both those connerback have player well, Smith IMO is much less the play maker than Davis but Davis is a bit immature and has been nicked up and missed time compared to Smith. IMO Davis probably would have pushed us into the playoffs last year if we had not traded him. The quetion I have is does Philbin want these guys. Ireland has in the past until last year resigned his draft picks which indicates to me that he and Philbin are working together on these decisions and Philbin is indicating he would rather draft his own guys and lets Tony's and Irelands picks go. IMO we have to many quality free agents this year to let this happen to. If CB was our only area of concern I would say sure let the Smith walk. I really would prefer us to resign most of own FA and maybe sign only Wallace and look to the draft.

What hole why cant we get a better FA CB since there are many out there for about the same money as we would pay S.Smith? What is Grimes and the like looking for?

It's not hard to replace mediocre.

So if Sean Smith walks, who do we replace him with? Oh, and Vontae too, because we never replaced him. Are we going to sign 2 new starting CBs in FA? Draft them both? Then how do we upgrade the WRs and TE? What about getting Wake some help on the pass rush? And since we're letting Jake walk, we'll need a new LT, or RT if Martin slides over. If you want to replace all that in the draft, you better hope Ireland finds some "acorns" in the late rounds, and that he hits a home run on all 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. This fanbase is completely unrealistic.

No one is saying Sean Smith is a world beater. He is competent. He has experience starting in the NFL, and he hasn't missed any time with injuries. He needs to be resigned, if only to make sure we have one less hole to fill otherwise. He can be upgraded in a season or 2, when our other needs aren't so glaring...

Brandon Marshall, Erik Walden, Adewale Ogunleye, Donald Lee didnt do to bad with green bay, Larry Izzo, hell even Sammy Morris out did himself. Im sure theres plenty more to name but off my head these stuck out. What's better though is how this thread is about Sean Smith staying or going and your trying to argue about my analogy.

Brandon Marshall doesnt fit your criteria of "play in Miami and suck". He was a damn fine player before he got here, good while here, and good while gone. Erik Walden is a rotational linebacker and one who will probably be riding the bench, seeing as how they drafted a replacement for him last year. Donald Lee was cut by Green Bay in 2011, bounced around the Eagles and Bengals, and has been a free agent since September 2012.

I'll give you Ogunleye. That was Wannstedt being Wannstedt.

Larry Izzo was 13 years ago and a special teams player. A very fine special teams player, but a special teams player nonetheless. And Sammy Morris...what is there to say to that? His highest rushing season was 700 yards.

With the exception of Ogunleye and maybe Izzo, none of the players you listed "became great" after Miami let them walk. Not a single one. And when your entire post is based on the premise that former players become studs after we let them walk, and exactly 2 of them have, then your going to get called out. What evidence do you have to suggest Sean Smith will become the shutdown corner you have promised? Because the evidence you used before, that your now saying im just "arguing your analogy", has proven to be completely wrong.

Back
Top Bottom