Colts Want to Reunite Sean Smith with Vontae? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Colts Want to Reunite Sean Smith with Vontae?

So if Sean Smith walks, who do we replace him with? Oh, and Vontae too, because we never replaced him. Are we going to sign 2 new starting CBs in FA? Draft them both? Then how do we upgrade the WRs and TE? What about getting Wake some help on the pass rush? And since we're letting Jake walk, we'll need a new LT, or RT if Martin slides over. If you want to replace all that in the draft, you better hope Ireland finds some "acorns" in the late rounds, and that he hits a home run on all 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. This fanbase is completely unrealistic.

No one is saying Sean Smith is a world beater. He is competent. He has experience starting in the NFL, and he hasn't missed any time with injuries. He needs to be resigned, if only to make sure we have one less hole to fill otherwise. He can be upgraded in a season or 2, when our other needs aren't so glaring...

How are we going to replace Smith? Well we can trade up to a top 6-8 pick and draft Milliner, swapping a 1st in the trade as well as our 3a pick. I wouldn't be against signing Derek Cox out of Jacksonville in free agency either, he will not require Sean "Revis" Smith contract money. Those are your day 1 starters right there. Or, you can go with the Milliner trade and draft Desmond Trufant/Johnathan Banks in the 2nd round. Sean Smith is by no means irreplaceable come day one.

To compliment Wake, we can sign Dwight Freeney of whom excelled in the 4-3 defense we're running right now. He is obviously up in age, but none the less a future HOFer. I wouldn't believe he would have an absurd contract request either. If we cannot land Freeney, I pick up Sam Montgomery from LSU in the 2nd to compliment Wake. Don't include Jake Long leaving as a fact in your post either, you and I both know stranger things have happened. So the CB situation is handled, a promising starter is opposite Wake, we pick a 3rd round talent at WR as well as adding Jennings/Wallace and see if we can sign any starting caliber OTs in free agency.

How are we going to replace Smith? Well we can trade up to a top 6-8 pick and draft Milliner, swapping a 1st in the trade as well as our 3a pick. I wouldn't be against signing Derek Cox out of Jacksonville in free agency either, he will not require Sean "Revis" Smith contract money. Those are your day 1 starters right there. Or, you can go with the Milliner trade and draft Desmond Trufant/Johnathan Banks in the 2nd round. Sean Smith is by no means irreplaceable come day one.

To compliment Wake, we can sign Dwight Freeney of whom excelled in the 4-3 defense we're running right now. He is obviously up in age, but none the less a future HOFer. I wouldn't believe he would have an absurd contract request either. If we cannot land Freeney, I pick up Sam Montgomery from LSU in the 2nd to compliment Wake. Don't include Jake Long leaving as a fact in your post either, you and I both know stranger things have happened. So the CB situation is handled, a promising starter is opposite Wake, we pick a 3rd round talent at WR as well as adding Jennings/Wallace and see if we can sign any starting caliber OTs in free agency.

And you know for sure all these FAs will sign with Miami? And you know for sure those corners will be available in the second? And you do realize that all these FAs you want to sign will demand contracts similar to, or much bigger than, the ones Miami's FAs want? There are a lot of ifs there. Seems awful stupid to hedge your bets on a significant amount of chance. What's that quote about the best laid plans of mice and men?

Your plan relies on moving up for a rookie corner, and signing a journeyman out of Jacksonville to "solidify" our defensive backfield. Or we go with 2 rookie corners again, and take a pass rusher in the second. We then sign Dwight Freeney (who'll most likely want to sign with a contender seeing as he only has a few seasons left) who has lost a step to "fix" our pass rush. For WR, we sign the big FA we are all anticipating, and take the best WR available to us in the third. We re-sign Jake Long, and what about TE?

In your plan, with our 5 picks in the top 100, we have 3 defenders and a WR. The only addition to our offense, one of the worst in the league, is a Greg/Jennings and a 3rd round WR. Our secondary is being manned by a rookie and a journeyman corner, or 2 rookies, and our new passrusher is 36 and past his prime, or a rookie who is sliding down draft boards. I don't see how we've improved much in this plan. Our offense is about the same, our secondary got younger and less experienced, and our passrush probably hasn't changed much, depending on what Freeney has left in the tank or how quickly the rookie adapts. I'm sorry man, but that would be an absolutely horrible offseason. One that would cost Ireland his job...

Yep, I would buy that for a dollar!

brandon marshall doesnt fit your criteria of "play in miami and suck". He was a damn fine player before he got here, good while here, and good while gone. Erik walden is a rotational linebacker and one who will probably be riding the bench, seeing as how they drafted a replacement for him last year. Donald lee was cut by green bay in 2011, bounced around the eagles and bengals, and has been a free agent since september 2012.

I'll give you ogunleye. That was wannstedt being wannstedt.

Larry izzo was 13 years ago and a special teams player. A very fine special teams player, but a special teams player nonetheless. And sammy morris...what is there to say to that? His highest rushing season was 700 yards.

With the exception of ogunleye and maybe izzo, none of the players you listed "became great" after miami let them walk. Not a single one. And when your entire post is based on the premise that former players become studs after we let them walk, and exactly 2 of them have, then your going to get called out. What evidence do you have to suggest sean smith will become the shutdown corner you have promised? Because the evidence you used before, that your now saying im just "arguing your analogy", has proven to be completely wrong.

given the simple fact that you took wes welker and rob ninkovich in your post so that excluded 2 people off the "top of my head" if i actually spent time i could probably nail about 5 more. I also never said they became "studs" somewhere else i simply stated the fact that once someone plays here and move on to somewhere else it always seems as they perform better for other organizations rather than ours.

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

brandon marshall doesnt fit your criteria of "play in miami and suck". He was a damn fine player before he got here, good while here, and good while gone. Erik walden is a rotational linebacker and one who will probably be riding the bench, seeing as how they drafted a replacement for him last year. Donald lee was cut by green bay in 2011, bounced around the eagles and bengals, and has been a free agent since september 2012.

I'll give you ogunleye. That was wannstedt being wannstedt.

Larry izzo was 13 years ago and a special teams player. A very fine special teams player, but a special teams player nonetheless. And sammy morris...what is there to say to that? His highest rushing season was 700 yards.

With the exception of ogunleye and maybe izzo, none of the players you listed "became great" after miami let them walk. Not a single one. And when your entire post is based on the premise that former players become studs after we let them walk, and exactly 2 of them have, then your going to get called out. What evidence do you have to suggest sean smith will become the shutdown corner you have promised? Because the evidence you used before, that your now saying im just "arguing your analogy", has proven to be completely wrong.

in other words they under achieve while with us and then over achieve after they've left us.

Dwight Freeney has lost a few steps, take him off the artificial surface for half the year and I don't seem much from him, and he is not looking to sign a cheap deal either. Let SS walk and we will pay for it in more ways than 1.

You guys kill me. You think we'll be able to pick Davs and Smith apart? It will pale in comparisom to what Luck would do to Marshall and Carroll. Lets get upgrades before we celebrate! But hey at least we'll save some money. Maybe we will all get a piece of the savings. I'll be checking my mailbox for letters from the Dolphins.

ah the grass is always greener effect! always comes around every offseason.

You guys kill me. You think we'll be able to pick Davs and Smith apart? It will pale in comparisom to what Luck would do to Marshall and Carroll. Lets get upgrades before we celebrate! But hey at least we'll save some money. Maybe we will all get a piece of the savings. I'll be checking my mailbox for letters from the Dolphins.

jordan poyer would make you forget about smith in no time. and he is a second rounder too.

Why would the Colts overpay for Smith? They had to see firsthand how bad our secondary was this year when Luck threw for 800 yards against us.

And you know for sure all these FAs will sign with Miami? And you know for sure those corners will be available in the second? And you do realize that all these FAs you want to sign will demand contracts similar to, or much bigger than, the ones Miami's FAs want? There are a lot of ifs there. Seems awful stupid to hedge your bets on a significant amount of chance. What's that quote about the best laid plans of mice and men?

Your plan relies on moving up for a rookie corner, and signing a journeyman out of Jacksonville to "solidify" our defensive backfield. Or we go with 2 rookie corners again, and take a pass rusher in the second. We then sign Dwight Freeney (who'll most likely want to sign with a contender seeing as he only has a few seasons left) who has lost a step to "fix" our pass rush. For WR, we sign the big FA we are all anticipating, and take the best WR available to us in the third. We re-sign Jake Long, and what about TE?

In your plan, with our 5 picks in the top 100, we have 3 defenders and a WR. The only addition to our offense, one of the worst in the league, is a Greg/Jennings and a 3rd round WR. Our secondary is being manned by a rookie and a journeyman corner, or 2 rookies, and our new passrusher is 36 and past his prime, or a rookie who is sliding down draft boards. I don't see how we've improved much in this plan. Our offense is about the same, our secondary got younger and less experienced, and our passrush probably hasn't changed much, depending on what Freeney has left in the tank or how quickly the rookie adapts. I'm sorry man, but that would be an absolutely horrible offseason. One that would cost Ireland his job...

I forgot, you know everything bro. Notice how nearly every one of your responses you act like your opinion is fact, so you're telling me it's a risk drafting and signing free agents....uhh....DUH? You asked me how I'd fix the pass rush situation and I go with a signing a future HOFer in Freeney with a rookie as a back up plan. However, somehow SEAN SMITH is automatically better (who has ZERO upside after 4 seasons) than the best corner in the draft and a solid 2nd rounder. Tight end? I thought it was obvious to hit on one in free agency, I'd push hard for Keller since Jared Cook seems a likely candidate for Tennessee's franchise tag.

If we don't land Keller/Cook/Bennet, I would pull out another year with Fasano and Clay one more year. We have the 2nd youngest team in the league, we can't fix every position in one offseason. This way if we lose out on a solid option at TE this offseason, we can roll with one higher on our priorities next season as we filled others holes of need. So does signing Jennings also seem a bad deal to you? Make no mistake I'd see what kind of contract Wallace would demand and negotiate with him as well. Hell, if I'm GM, I would heavily pursue a deal where I could land both Jennings/Wallace. Jennings as a receiver who could hit the middle, win battles in the air, become a mis-match, and terrorize the opponents in open field with his shiftiness, and Wallace to add the pure speed element to the offense to keep defenses on edge, not being able to cram the line of scrimmage like they do now since our offense has no one to respect as a true homerun threat.

To be honest, you don't seem like you agree with anyone. Can you not feel enlightened by others opinions without implying that yours are concrete with facts? I'm not trying to slam you for thinking otherwise, just engaging in debate.

I forgot, you know everything bro. Notice how nearly every one of your responses you act like your opinion is fact, so you're telling me it's a risk drafting and signing free agents....uhh....DUH? You asked me how I'd fix the pass rush situation and I go with a signing a future HOFer in Freeney with a rookie as a back up plan. However, somehow SEAN SMITH is automatically better (who has ZERO upside after 4 seasons) than the best corner in the draft and a solid 2nd rounder. Tight end? I thought it was obvious to hit on one in free agency, I'd push hard for Keller since Jared Cook seems a likely candidate for Tennessee's franchise tag.

If we don't land Keller/Cook/Bennet, I would pull out another year with Fasano and Clay one more year. We have the 2nd youngest team in the league, we can't fix every position in one offseason. This way if we lose out on a solid option at TE this offseason, we can roll with one higher on our priorities next season as we filled others holes of need. So does signing Jennings also seem a bad deal to you? Make no mistake I'd see what kind of contract Wallace would demand and negotiate with him as well. To be honest, you don't seem like you agree with anyone. Can you not feel enlightened by others opinions without implying that yours are concrete with facts? I'm not trying to slam you for thinking otherwise, just engaging in debate.

:lol:

Damn man, clean the sand out of your vag. It's making you grumpy. Seeing as I hardly post in this forum, because of responses like yours, I don't see how you can come to the conclusion that I don't agree with anyone. The only fact I stated is that if we let every single one of our FAs walk, like this board wants to do, we'd have far too many holes to fill. Oh, and I pointed out that all you did to improve the offense was sign Jennings/Wallace and draft a WR in the 3rd, which I find odd because Ireland has taken WRs in the third before, yet this fanbase still says he undervalues the position. That would lead me to believe if the first offensive player taken in this draft is the third round, the fanbase will riot.

So you acknowledge my general point in your second paragraph (we'd have too many holes to fill in one offseason if we let all our FAs walk), yet continue to argue? If you agree with my point, then what you're arguing is that you don't like Sean Smith/think he's asking too much/like another FA better? So then say so. But then you'll have to acknowledge that the FA corners available are going to ask for similar contracts to the one Smith will eventually get, so your real beef is with Smith himself and not the money...

given the simple fact that you took wes welker and rob ninkovich in your post so that excluded 2 people off the "top of my head" if i actually spent time i could probably nail about 5 more. I also never said they became "studs" somewhere else i simply stated the fact that once someone plays here and move on to somewhere else it always seems as they perform better for other organizations rather than ours.

in other words they under achieve while with us and then over achieve after they've left us.

Smith will leave and become that shut down corner. Bank it. Its how it always goes down. They play in miami and suck then leave and become great and vice versa.

No, you declared they would become great. Remind me again who's arguing analogies?

And yes, in the time span of 13 years(the length you brought up in your examples) you found 4 apt examples. Somewhat apt anyways. A special teams player, slot receiver, rotational linebacker, and an admittedly good pass rusher. Well done. Still not sure how that qualifies as "always", or can be used as proof that Smith will become a shut down corner.

:lol:

Damn man, clean the sand out of your vag. It's making you grumpy. Seeing as I hardly post in this forum, because of responses like yours, I don't see how you can come to the conclusion that I don't agree with anyone. The only fact I stated is that if we let every single one of our FAs walk, like this board wants to do, we'd have far too many holes to fill. Oh, and I pointed out that all you did to improve the offense was sign Jennings/Wallace and draft a WR in the 3rd, which I find odd because Ireland has taken WRs in the third before, yet this fanbase still says he undervalues the position. That would lead me to believe if the first offensive player taken in this draft is the third round, the fanbase will riot.

So you acknowledge my general point in your second paragraph (we'd have too many holes to fill in one offseason if we let all our FAs walk), yet continue to argue? If you agree with my point, then what you're arguing is that you don't like Sean Smith/think he's asking too much/like another FA better? So then say so. But then you'll have to acknowledge that the FA corners available are going to ask for similar contracts to the one Smith will eventually get, so your real beef is with Smith himself and not the money...

You barely post on this forum with near 8,000 posts? Mmkay. You know my stance on Randy Starks? Clemons? Fasano? Resign all of them. Somehow you jump to conclusions and the logic that since I want Smith gone, I want the same to all our other free agents? Lol @ your "argument". You lose all credibility with me when you say " all you did to improve the offense was sign Jennings/Wallace". Yeah, we know those players are minimal upgrades at best. Oh, by the way that is sarcasm, thought I'd have to directly inform you of that. :lol:

You barely post on this forum with near 8,000 posts? Mmkay. You know my stance on Randy Starks? Clemons? Fasano? Resign all of them. Somehow you jump to conclusions and the logic that since I want Smith gone, I want the same to all our other free agents? Lol @ your "argument". You lose all credibility with me when you say " all you did to improve the offense was sign Jennings/Wallace". Yeah, we know those players are minimal upgrades at best.

Yup, barely post in this forum. I'd say 95% of those 8,000 posts are in the Lounge, PoFO, and VIP forums.

Apparently my point has gone over your head. My original post said the forum wants to let all the FAs walk, not AFCMiamiEast wants all the FAs to walk. There is a different thread for every single one of Miami's FAs, each one saying they want to much and we should let them walk. I started responding to you because you quoted me. See the difference? Understand my point, now? Perhaps it was my mistake for combing my original point with my responses to you. I had assumed you knew what I was getting at...

Trading Vontae was a mistake, but I don't see the need to compound that mistake by giving Sean Smith money he hasn't earned and never will earn. If letting Smith walk is going to decimate our secondary... then that just shows it was a mistake to trade Vontae. If you're going to do a thing like that it should be part of a larger plan with depth ready to step up, not some ad hoc thing that leaves your dangle in the wind.

My first option would be to look into signing Derek Cox. He's got the biggest boom to bust ratio (with his injury history), but when healthy he's a legitimate corner in the league. I'm also intrigued with Tracy Porter. My understanding is he has some injury concerns also, but he also has top flight ability. Whatever we do there's no guarantees, and that includes taking Milliner, Banks or Rhodes. Kevin Coyle had a remarkable record turning chicken **** into chicken soup at corner in Cincinnati, so all there is to do is hope he can put something together that will get us through at least this year, not that this year is going to be any more spectacular than last year. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom