"Confirmation Of Interest In Rosevelt Colvin" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Confirmation Of Interest In Rosevelt Colvin"

CRAZYDOLFAN305

We Are Still Going To The SB
Reaction score
Dolphins Interested In Bears LB Colvin

February 18th, 2003
Bradd Biggs of the Chicago Sun Times reports that when Chicago Bears LB Rosevelt Colvin hits the free agent market on February 28th that the Miami Dolphins will likely be interested. Neither Colvin nor his agent, Kennard McGuire, has yet to communicate with interested teams, but speculation is Buffalo, Miami, New England and St. Louis will come calling.

Colvin has 10.5 sacks in each of the past two years to go along with 70 tackles in 2001 and 64 last season.

"Bradd Biggs of the Chicago Sun Times reports that when Chicago Bears LB Rosevelt Colvin hits the free agent market on February 28th that the Miami Dolphins will likely be interested."

No offence, and don't want to be picky.....but how is it confirmation when the story says we will "likely" be interested......it is really pure speculation by a chicago beatwriter.....

I think this is a bad idea, he doesn't even fit our scheme. Anthony Simmons makes a lot more sense for what this defense does.

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
"Bradd Biggs of the Chicago Sun Times reports that when Chicago Bears LB Rosevelt Colvin hits the free agent market on February 28th that the Miami Dolphins will likely be interested."

No offence, and don't want to be picky.....but how is it confirmation when the story says we will "likely" be interested......it is really pure speculation by a chicago beatwriter.....

I think he meant that it is a for real story and possibility at this time.

Oliver...

Does anybody else remember that Derrick Rodgers led the nation in sacks as senior in college. You'd think he could pick up a few if the system ever called for a LB other than Zach to rush the passer. Why would we pay Colvin when he doesn't fit into our scheme?

I seriously think we could draft a LB in the 2nd round or 3rd round who could start immediately and we wouldn't lose a thing at the position. Why go pay money to some free agent when it's not that important of a position. As Jimmy Johnson always said when talking about this defense, "LBs are a dime a dozen." Probably why he was the last NFL coach to pay a LB over $1M a year.

Ice...who cares Colvin is a great skilled player, he will make plays whether he is good or not.

He will make plays whether he is good or not? I'm not sure what that means, but if a blitzing linebacker is not allowed to blitz, what happens to his production? Thats right, it goes down. Unless Bates changes his scheme to allow him to blitz, I don't see why he would even want to come here. Just my thoughts......

I believe Wanny said after the season they'd be looking at "tweaking" the scheme more towards the talents of some of his players. If Colvin came,(something I'm actually against)then maybe we would do that "tweaking" talked about.

Just a thought though.

Did he say that? I'll believe it when I see it. Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled to have Colvin here. The only thing is unless the scheme changes, we may have another, more expensive, Rodgers. Maybe bringing in a player like Colvin will inspire Bates to become more aggressive, and turn this defense into the unit it has the talent to be......

I am all for Bates keeping his system the way it is to start games. What get sme is when that system is obviously not working, or the other team has adjusted and we have not. Sometimes it just seems that Bates flat out refuses to adjust to what is working and what isn't.

The one case I use a lot is that of when Marvin Harrison lit up Fletcher because he lined up "where Fletcher did, thus making Fletcher the man to cover him." Late in the game they finally made the adjustment to put Madison on him and voila only one other catch, a virtual shutout of the league's best reciever.

That is all I am asking from Bates. Make adjustment's when your original scheme is no longer effective. If Taylor can get to the Qb All day and Chester/Bowens are stuffing the run, then great leave it be. However, if it starts to unravel and you have someone the caliber of Colvin on the outside, and don't use him... It would be a waste of talent and probably another year.

Chances are, the fins may land the rejects that other teams with cap $$ to spend don't want. I doubt if Colvin will want to play for the fins for Pollo,Plantains(sp?) with rice and beans instead of millions of $$$.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by justafan
Chances are, the fins may land the rejects that other teams with cap $$ to spend don't want. I doubt if Colvin will want to play for the fins for Plantains(sp?) instead of millions of $$$.

Ah, but how do you put a price tag on being able to live and work down in paradise, rather than the frozen tundra of Buffalo? Oh, and the fact that Florida has no State income tax doesn't hurt either.

Originally posted by Aqua
Does anybody else remember that Derrick Rodgers led the nation in sacks as senior in college. You'd think he could pick up a few if the system ever called for a LB other than Zach to rush the passer. Why would we pay Colvin when he doesn't fit into our scheme?

I seriously think we could draft a LB in the 2nd round or 3rd round who could start immediately and we wouldn't lose a thing at the position. Why go pay money to some free agent when it's not that important of a position. As Jimmy Johnson always said when talking about this defense, "LBs are a dime a dozen." Probably why he was the last NFL coach to pay a LB over $1M a year.

It's not the sacks I'm excited about, it's the fact that Colvin is exceptional in covering both the pass and the run. The speed which makes him dangerous to QB's is also what makes him able to hang with RB's and TE's in the passing game, and he looked really good in run stuffing last year as well. Bears fans are crying in their beer that he's leaving.

It's all about the $$$. Granted that his statement said "I just want to win" and Miami is definitely a contender, but buffalo is better than the Bungles. :D

Paradise? I hope you don't mean Miami. Ricky Williams lives in Ft. Lauderdale. Cincinati isn't a summer haven compared to Buffalo either. I for one don't like Buffalo, but I love Toronto.

Back
Top Bottom