Cote: Dolphins should start Tannehill, Moore and Garrard are a waste of time | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cote: Dolphins should start Tannehill, Moore and Garrard are a waste of time

Right, so Tannehill should sit until we build a super team around him right? It's never gonna happen pal, and I'm sick of the excuses. If Tannehill is a QB worthy of the 8th overall pick then he'll develop well and get to the point where he'll make those around him better like the rest of the good QBs in the league. If he's not, then I want to find out sooner than later.
Our WR corps sucks, granted, but our o line isn't that bad and unless Tannehill has no concept of how to get the ball out on time then he won't get killed back there. He should have some nice outlets in the slot and in the backfield in the passing game with Bess, Bush, and Miller, and the running game shouldn't be terrible.

Sorry PAL. Nobody ever said a "super team" .... just you, and that's what people do when they want to steer the conversation off in a made up direction to reinforce their non-existent point. Remind me again how many sacks, QB pressures, and QB hits we gave up last year. "Not that bad"? Are you joking right now?

I'm sick of excuses and losing, we're rebuilding and Matt Moore and Dave Garrard both suck. Start Tannehill and see what he's got for Christs sake.... But he can't even get into camp so u guys already have a built in excuse for why he sucks OR why he can't get on the field.

It's not an excuse. Philbin doesn't want to damage the goods. If Tanny doesn't have good protection and competent receivers, he will be asked to do too much. This is what creates problems with rookie QB's and poor habits that eventually lead them down the "bust" path.

If he looks the best, by all means start him. But if not, you don't just throw him out there "to see what he's got" or do it because "we're not contending". The rest of the team knows who the best QB is and they want him starting. If you start the rookie just because "he was drafted #8", you probably lose the locker room

This^

People just don't understand that once you tell your team you're going with the unprepared rookie, you're telling your team that this season is a wash and that the coaches have no confidence in the whole team! It's not about catering to a #8 pick and holding the advancement of the team hostage because you picked a player high(too high may I add). What do you think that will say to your teammates? They will be pissed and probably turn their back on the coaches season 1. They want to win now not not next season or the season after that. Whatever your feelings are on Moore or Garrard, they are the better options going in to the season. Deal with it and root for whoever starts.

Thanks for the in-depth analysis.

He struggled last year because he was a rookie coming from a spread offense forced to carry a team with no pass-protection and weapons to throw to. Many scouts (also guys like Mayock & Brandt) complement his pocket presence in college. So what changed? It's pretty obvious.

We've now got our own guy with the same short stint in college, running a spread-option, playing on our squad with huge question marks at O-Line and Receiver.

kid was shirking contact as missouri and bailing the pocket laterally despite no pressure...we talked about it at length in the draft forum when he was a prospect...he's failing cause he's scared of contact...you better put the great wall of china in front of that kid if you want him to stand in the pocket and deliver...the weapons and protection stuff is an excuse...

Last edited by a moderator:
Gabbert has a lot more in common with Tannehill than many want to admit. Tannehill's early development is essential.

Tannehill could get a start or two later on in the season. You have to go with the vet day 1.

This^

People just don't understand that once you tell your team you're going with the unprepared rookie, you're telling your team that this season is a wash and that the coaches have no confidence in the whole team! It's not about catering to a #8 pick and holding the advancement of the team hostage because you picked a player high(too high may I add). What do you think that will say to your teammates? They will be pissed and probably turn their back on the coaches season 1. They want to win now not not next season or the season after that. Whatever your feelings are on Moore or Garrard, they are the better options going in to the season. Deal with it and root for whoever starts.

The kid will be prepared. The factor is not being prepared/unprepared it's how he will handle the live game action/speed of the game.

This^

I think the Ravens, Falcons, and Bengals disagree

Question, what do all those guys have to do with Joe Philbin???

Those coaches didn't know what they were doing, why would Philbin be any different? All hired by clueless owners. No surprise Don Shula is still the only Miami head coach to lead the Dolphins to more than one AFC East title.

I think the Ravens, Falcons, and Bengals disagree

Dalton was a 4 year starter at TCU, and was thrust into the starter's position after Carson Palmer "retired"
Flacco started 2 years at Delaware, and only became the Ravens QB when Boller took a season ending injury and Troy Smith got sick.
Ryan started 2.5 years at BC and got a giant contract, so he was expected to start. I think his competition was Chris Redman. He also had Michael Turner at RB and a slew of other offensive weapons to get him situated.

They all played in basically pro-style offenses in college to the best of my knowledge.

Tannehill played WR then became the starter for basically 1.5 seasons in a pseudo-spread style offense. He's raw as ****. It sounds like Garrard is doing fairly solid so far, so I don't have a problem with Tannehill sitting on the bench this year. It's been pretty much common knowledge since we drafted him that he was going to at least start the season out on the bench.

One could say "But wat about his draft position!1!", but if we hadn't drafted him at 8, you'd still be bitching that we didn't adequately address the QB spot. It's a no-win situation on these boards, you're ****ed if you do one thing, and ****ed if you do the other. Can't make everyone happy I guess.

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:35 PM ----------

Those coaches didn't know what they were doing, why would Philbin be any different? All hired by clueless owners. No surprise Don Shula is still the only Miami head coach to lead the Dolphins to more than one AFC East title.

Not all coaches are the same. It'd be like saying Butch Davis and Larry Coker were the same coach because Paul Dee hired them both, or that Randy Shannon and Al Golden are carbon copies because they were both hired while Donna Shalala were president.

So because those coaches "didn't know what they were doing", you automatically assume the worst from Philbin?!? "Oh damn, fold the franchise...because if Sparano, Wannstedt, Cameron, and Saban stunk up the joint, that automatically means Philbin is gonna do the same! Oh noez!" Gimme a break man! Let's give the guy a chance before we assume the worst!

Back
Top Bottom