"Could Munchak Be the Man for Dolphins O-line?" DON'T TEASE ME! | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Could Munchak Be the Man for Dolphins O-line?" DON'T TEASE ME!

An unanswered question for me has always been who drafted AJ, Eich, Deiter. Ross? Grier? Scouts? Head coach?

Probably all the above. The debate is assigning percentages. Ross may make a suggestions, but he does not evaluate prospects or set the board. Grier has little time to sit in a closet and evaluate every prospect, rank them, and make informed decisions. He has minimal say in setting the board and overruling coaches/staff. The remainder - HC, coordinators, assistants, position coaches, scouts - do the heavy work.
This, to me, is a major reason to get someone like Munchek. Not only is he a good coach, but would give valuable insight in evaluating OL

He'd have to want to come and Miami would have to make a huge offer I'm guessing.

According to my buddy who's a diehard Steelers fan he said Munchak was an unbelievable coach for the Steelers and last season when Denver let him go they tried to get him back. He declined because his daughter and grandkid(s) are in Denver and he wanted to be close to them.

Probably all the above. The debate is assigning percentages. Ross may make a suggestions, but he does not evaluate prospects or set the board. Grier has little time to sit in a closet and evaluate every prospect, rank them, and make informed decisions. He has minimal say in setting the board and overruling coaches/staff. The remainder - HC, coordinators, assistants, position coaches, scouts - do the heavy work.
This, to me, is a major reason to get someone like Munchek. Not only is he a good coach, but would give valuable insight in evaluating OL
Great post.
It addressed a lot of unknowns for me.

An unanswered question for me has always been who drafted AJ, Eich, Deiter. Ross? Grier? Scouts? Head coach?
Looking at the draft in hindsight is always easy. Yet drafting Jackson where they did in the 2000 draft made perfect sense at the time. The Dolphins biggest need in that draft after QB was at LT.
Jackson was the highest rated LT on the board at that time and almost every mock draft had him going in the middle of the first round. Which is exactly where he was drafted. He was said to be young and it would take a few years to develop. Injuries have hampered his development and hopefully they can hire a top tier offensive line coach to get him to the level they hoped he would get to when they drafted him.

Deiter was a third round draft pick who had a good career at Wisconsin. Like any third round pick they hoped he would develop into a quality offensive lineman for them but that
unfortunately hasnā€™t been the case with Deiter. While he has started at guard and center in his first three years in the league. He seems to have regressed instead of getting better and as a free agent, he probably wonā€™t be back with the Dolphins next season.

It should be noted that only 40% of offensive linemen in the NFL selected in the 3rd round eventually become everyday starters in the league. So the failure rate of 3rd round picks for offensive linemen is 60%.

Eichenberg was an excellent tackle at Notre Dame. He was projected to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick going into the draft. So far he certainly seems to have had trouble adjusting to the NFL. Yet he was a starting guard for the Dolphins before he was injured and missed several games this past season.

He has really only played about a year and a half in the league so far. So it really is too soon to know how he will develop as he gains more experience.

Part of the issue with Jackson, Deiter, and Eichenberg might be the coaching they have received so far since coming into the league. Hopefully with better coaching Jackson and Eichenberg can become solid starters for the Dolphins. As far as Deiter is concerned, maybe he will go to another team and develop into a better player than he has been with the Dolphins.

Last edited:
Looking at the draft in hindsight is always easy. Yet drafting Jackson where they did in the 2000 draft made perfect sense at the time. The Dolphins biggest need in that draft after QB was at LT.
Jackson was the highest rated LT on the board at that time and almost every mock draft had him going in the middle of the first round. Which is exactly where he was drafted. He was said to be young and it would take a few years to develop. Injuries have hampered his development and hopefully they can hire a top tier offensive line coach to get him to the level they hoped he would get to when they drafted him.

Deiter was a third round draft pick who had a good career at Wisconsin. Like any third round pick they hoped he would develop into a quality offensive lineman for them but that
unfortunately hasnā€™t been the case with Deiter. While he has started at guard and center in his first three years in the league. He seems to have regressed instead getting better and as a free agent, he probably wonā€™t be back with the Dolphins next season.

It should be noted that only 40% of offensive linemen in the NFL selected in the 3rd round eventually become everyday starters in the league. So the failure rate of 3rd round picks for offensive linemen is 60%.

Eichenberg was an excellent tackle at Notre Dame. He was projected to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick going into the draft. So far he certainly seems to have had trouble adjusting to the NFL. Yet he was a starting guard for the Dolphins before he was injured and missed several games this past season.

He has really only played about a year and a half in the league so far. So it really is too soon to know how he will develop as he gains more experience.

Part of the issue with Jackson, Deiter, and Eichenberg might be the coaching they have received so far since coming into the league. Hopefully with better coaching Jackson and Eichenberg can become solid starters for the Dolphins. As far as Deiter is concerned, maybe he will go to another team and develop into a better player than he has been with the Dolphins.

This information was known to "Lemmings" and yet they persist with their "less-than-knowledgeable" rants.

Time will pass, will the "Lemmings"? - LOL

Back
Top Bottom