Could Ryan Tannehill be headed down same road as Alex Smith? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could Ryan Tannehill be headed down same road as Alex Smith?

Too many people confuse opinion columns with journalism... maybe that's why the current president is a game show host...

Just because it is an opinion piece is a poor excuse for it being poorly done. Have an opinion, but back it up with something.

I guess I'll actually answer the question. It's definitely possible. Smith is a guy who just hasn't been goos enough to carry his team despite it's deficiencies and thus has been shown the door a couple of times. Same is possible with RT. He may need an elite to very good OL, defense, TE, etc and we can't afford those luxuries because we're paying RT and Suh a bunch. So unless he is able to get past not having an elite team surrounding him, he may have to try again somewhere else.

He didn't have an elite team around him in 2016 and he was good enough to be the major part of getting this team to the playoffs.

Smith was on a team that was much, much, much better than the 2016 Dolphins. He had also had multiple seasons in a good situation.

Smith needs to kiss Andy Reid's feet everytime he sees him. Reid made Smith and he's going to get exposed out in Washington.

Lol, I was initially thinking that too, but he's right. That article is ****.

The guy writes that Tannehill sucks and the Fins need a QB to be good, but then he says Tannehill would be good in another system.... Do does Tannehill suck or does our system suck? If our system sucks then drafting another QB to run that system isnt going to help the Dolphins.

Regardless, the guy that wrote it is clueless.
Exactly lol no one should be all riled up with this guy writing articles.

If you want to debate with me over my opinion of Tannehill, bring it on.

I didn't even bother to comment on what was written. It's total fluff. Here's the article boiled down:

I don't like Tannehill. I think the Dolphins should draft another QB.

How the hell does that qualify as journalism? That's all I commented on. I didn't even disagree with his opinion. It would be pointless. There is no football analysis. No insight whatsoever. Just, Alex Smith got traded. I don't like Tannehill. As I said it is total crap.

Well, he isn't wrong about Tannehill. The anti Tannehill fans have been saying the same things for the last few years now. As have the media, "experts", and other NFL fans. But of course our staff has faith in him, they wouldn't come out and say otherwise. Most coaches don't throw specific players under the bus like that.

Hard to throw stats and numbers out when all we do is keep waiting and waiting and waiting for Tannehill to do something more than just meh. And all the Pro Tannehill fans just blame others. I see the same thing in 2018. Rinse and repeat like clockwork.

He didn't have an elite team around him in 2016 and he was good enough to be the major part of getting this team to the playoffs.

Smith was on a team that was much, much, much better than the 2016 Dolphins. He had also had multiple seasons in a good situation.
1 in 5 years would be a 20% success rate. If he's able to do that more frequently, great!

I don’t read anywhere in the article that RT sucks. The point of contention is whether RT is a decent QB or a QB that can win playoff games and hopefully a SB. After 6 yrs, he hasn’t shown either ability as he’s been too inconsistent. It’s unfortunate, because the 2016 season was his chance to prove something, but the knee injury derailed that.
I’ve always stated that RT wasn’t the problem, but he also isn’t the solution.
Yes, Philbin didn’t do him any favors, but at the same time he hasn’t exactly distinguished himself in big games.
3 seasons ago the Phins needed 1 win in the final 2 games to secure a playoff spot against 2 teams with losing records (bills, jets). RT was horrible in both games to end the season. The entire team played poorly, but RT didn’t stand out like you would expect a leader of the team should.
Bottom line, if Allen or Mayfield are sitting there at 11, you have to take them. RT hasn’t earned the benefit of doubt.

The guy concluded that Alex Smith is way better than RT, I think RT is better than Smith. He will prove that on the field this coming season. BTW, being better than Smith is far from good enough to win Super Bowls. The question coming up in 2018 is do we have our QB? RT was kicking butt in Gase's system before he went down. I want to see what a continuation of that looks like. In the meantime, get a QB in round one if the guy we like is there. With RT we're not going to finish so badly. We have our chance now to snag RT's back up in a QB heavy draft, get Mayfield, Allen or whoever Gase rates the highest.

I don’t read anywhere in the article that RT sucks. The point of contention is whether RT is a decent QB or a QB that can win playoff games and hopefully a SB. After 6 yrs, he hasn’t shown either ability as he’s been too inconsistent. It’s unfortunate, because the 2016 season was his chance to prove something, but the knee injury derailed that.
I’ve always stated that RT wasn’t the problem, but he also isn’t the solution.
Yes, Philbin didn’t do him any favors, but at the same time he hasn’t exactly distinguished himself in big games.
3 seasons ago the Phins needed 1 win in the final 2 games to secure a playoff spot against 2 teams with losing records (bills, jets). RT was horrible in both games to end the season. The entire team played poorly, but RT didn’t stand out like you would expect a leader of the team should.
Bottom line, if Allen or Mayfield are sitting there at 11, you have to take them. RT hasn’t earned the benefit of doubt.

Do we give the next guy till the end of their second season tp prove it too?

Well, he isn't wrong about Tannehill. The anti Tannehill fans have been saying the same things for the last few years now. As have the media, "experts", and other NFL fans. But of course our staff has faith in him, they wouldn't come out and say otherwise. Most coaches don't throw specific players under the bus like that.

Hard to throw stats and numbers out when all we do is keep waiting and waiting and waiting for Tannehill to do something more than just meh. And all the Pro Tannehill fans just blame others. I see the same thing in 2018. Rinse and repeat like clockwork.

No, the anti Tannehill fans haven' been saying the same thing for years. They've been saying:

- He is a converted WR, he'll never be any good
- All he does is get passes batted down
- He locks on his primary receiver for too long
- He immediately checks down to his option instead of staying on his primary receiver
- He'll prove he's good enough when he reaches 90 QB rating
- He can't throw the deep ball
- He certainly can't throw the deep ball and have above a 90 rating at the same time
- He is at fault for the sacks
- He can't beat NE
- He'll never lead the team to the playoffs

He was the 12th ranked passer in 2016. Why do you keep ignoring that? He wasn't "meh" in 2016 or 2014. Make your case without leaving out facts. Seems like a common tactic among the haters, along with moving the goal posts.

Last edited:
Look at the Eagles as an example. They stepped up and made a deal happen for their QB of the future. Wentz would be in the Super Bowl if he didn't get injured. The Eagles look very smart for securing Wentz. If we get a great QB in this draft we'll look smart down the road also. Maybe, we could use Landry as a bargaining chip to land a big time QB like Josh Allen, he's going to be special, he can make every throw. If Tannenbaum gets us Josh Allen I might even give him a break in my constant critical remarks regarding his over all lack of intellectual prowess.

every player on dolphins team should have competition. I do not see anything wrong w drafting qb. If u not going bring back Moore....

Back
Top Bottom