Could Ryan Tannehill be headed down same road as Alex Smith? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could Ryan Tannehill be headed down same road as Alex Smith?

Also, if you're arguing Tannehill is a top-10 QB, you're wrong. If you're arguing he's a bottom-10 QB, you're wrong.

Which is exactly the ****ing point we're at right now. Tannelovers think he's better than he is, and Tannehaters think he's worse than he is.

I will say this, if the pieces around the QB have changed quite frequently, but the results are still relatively the same, then maybe you change the QB to get different results. We saw different results with a worse QB this season (at 6-10). So maybe that piece that gets us over the hump is a borderline-elite quarterback.

And despite what you may read here, Tannehill is not borderline-elite.

Just acknowledging some simple facts, isn't "slamming" anyone. And what has Tannehill done during his professional life to deserve such blind, hysterical and some times just plain silly loyalty? How has Tannehill earned anything but skepticism in Miami?

People want to point at coaching. But his first OC was a tandem hire to his draft status.

Tannehill has some blame to bear himself. And his sycophants should expect more.

With that said, Tannhill will get til 2020. And we will bear witness to another decade of lost dreams. The Miami Dolphins descent into the Dark Ages continues.

In your opinion, have any of the players or coaches that have gotten the blame for PASSING OFFENSIVE TEAM production problems been wrongly blamed:

Sherman
Philbin
Lazor
Dallas Thomas
Billy Thomas
Shelley Smith
(add the remainder of the OL cuts here)
Wallace
Hartline
Bess
Legedu Naanee
(add the remainder of the WR cuts here)
Jordan Cameron
Julius Thomas
(any others?)

Please point out the players and/or coaches that have taken the fall when it should have been Tannehill. If possible, justify your selections.

All I am saying is that the supporting cast hasn't been very good. They have let a lot of them go. Point out the mistakes.

He’s closer to 10 than he is 20 but I guess this is expected when you miss a entire season plus

My expectations are 5 point improvement in qbr from 2016. So 98.5 or better rating

It’s not a stretch by any means. Firm believer that he would have gone over 100 in 2017 had he suited up 16 games

I sure do miss that placement and qb execution

One problem with statistical arguments, as always, is that the moment someone posts a statistical argument that doesn't agree with another statistical argument, the only thing some folks can resort to is attacking the poster's motivations.
Absolutely. One thing that drives me crazy on the two sports forums I'm on these days is the repeated use of the terms "hater" and "fanboy". It's impossible to make either a positive or negative comment about a player these days without someone labelling you one or other of these. Simple discussion goes out the window and people immediately (not all people, obviously) get their backs up when your opinion disagrees with theirs, and have a tendency to then call you an idiot etc.

Absolutely. One thing that drives me crazy on the two sports forums I'm on these days is the repeated use of the terms "hater" and "fanboy". It's impossible to make either a positive or negative comment about a player these days without someone labelling you one or other of these. Simple discussion goes out the window and people immediately (not all people, obviously) get their backs up when your opinion disagrees with theirs, and have a tendency to then call you an idiot etc.

Yep. I think Ryan Tannehill is a good quarterback we have surrounded with garbage. I also won't lose my mind if we draft a quarterback at 11.

I root for the laundry. Start winning games again and I really don't give a damn about the rest.

I don’t have a problem with them drafting a qb at 11 either

It’s not gonna happen but in that minuscule event chance that it does fine.

I’d take any of darnold rosen or allen there. What I can’t do is another year of no upside insurance at qb.

Yep. I think Ryan Tannehill is a good quarterback we have surrounded with garbage. I also won't lose my mind if we draft a quarterback at 11.

I root for the laundry. Start winning games again and I really don't give a damn about the rest.
Exactly this. At the end of the day, these players come and go. The Franchise remains (thus far anyway).

And whatever about anything else, a QB at 11 would certainly be exciting.

I don’t have a problem with them drafting a qb at 11 either

It’s not gonna happen but in that minuscule event chance that it does fine.

I’d take any of darnold rosen or allen there. What I can’t do is another year of no upside insurance at qb.

In an ideal world where the team is not riddled with holes elsewhere, I agree. I just don't think the team has the luxury of using the 11th pick in the draft as insurance.

Maybe I'm too pessimistic on the rest of the team. Maybe it was just QB in 2017. Given the recent history of this team, I just cannot believe that and in that case, what good is having insurance at QB when the rest of the team is poor enough to drag down whoever is at QB?

I would LOVE to be comfortable enough about the rest of the team to be advocating drafting a backup QB at #11. I just have a hard time believing we won't be 8-8 because the defense sucks or watching a rookie QB struggle because the OL got the starter killed.

In an ideal world where the team is not riddled with holes elsewhere, I agree. I just don't think the team has the luxury of using the 11th pick in the draft as insurance.

Maybe I'm too pessimistic on the rest of the team. Maybe it was just QB in 2017. Given the recent history of this team, I just cannot believe that and in that case, what good is having insurance at QB when the rest of the team is poor enough to drag down whoever is at QB?

I would LOVE to be comfortable enough about the rest of the team to be advocating drafting a backup QB at #11. I just have a hard time believing we won't be 8-8 because the defense sucks or watching a rookie QB struggle because the OL got the starter killed.
Interesting. I get the thinking behind that for sure.

Question for you though .. how far away do you think this team is? Say they stick the course with RT, do you think it can become a playoff regular team / contender with just this off season? Or do you think they're a few drafts away?

I think this team is 8-8 at best even with Tannehill at QB. The talent level on this team is consistently overrated by the fan base. This team is far from a championship just in terms of talent on the field. And the jury is still out on the coach.

That said, I’d still draft a QB at 11 if the guy they think could be a franchise QB is there. It’s not about drafting “insurance” for Tannehill. It’s about drafting his successor and a potential asset down the road if Tannehill does turn out to be the one.

Don’t lose much sleep or waste much time with it. All 3 of those qbs will be gone top 6 one way or another

As g easy would say “anybody tell you different it’s a lie”

Assuming luck is a go for 2018 the honey hole is Cleveland at 4 who will either be staring at saquan Barkley or offered a massive bounty by anyone 5 or below to trade out.

Top 6 all 3 gone one way or another. If you want one you better bring your best offer cause 4 going to be offered a Kings ransom

Doesn’t matter where Kirk cousins ends up either. Pick 6 is the floor

Last edited:
Interesting. I get the thinking behind that for sure.

Question for you though .. how far away do you think this team is? Say they stick the course with RT, do you think it can become a playoff regular team / contender with just this off season? Or do you think they're a few drafts away?

If they can get similar performances from the OL, receivers, and RBs as they did in 2016, then the return of Tannehill gives them a good offense. I think a good offseason for the defense makes them a borderline playoff contender next season and another good offseason can make them a regular solid contender.

They need consistency on the OL and a play maker on defense.

It’s not about drafting “insurance” for Tannehill. It’s about drafting his successor and a potential asset down the road if Tannehill does turn out to be the one.

This is exactly right. IF they draft a QB, they are drafting the replacement.

Don’t lose much sleep or waste much time with it. All 3 of those qbs will be gone top 6 one way or another

As g easy would say “anybody tell you different it’s a lie”

I'm not going to tell you different, because when it comes to draft evaluations, I can't tell you for a minute which players teams are going to draft at any given pick.

But I wouldn't be surprised if one of those guys fell out of the top ten. Darnold, people have concerns that he has a lot in his game that has to be cleaned up, right? Same with Allen, plus the small school concerns. And then with Josh Rosen, I don't know what on the field concern there is, but I was talking to Truth and Silver about this a couple of weeks ago, and it seems he's a total party animal. That's got to concern some teams looking to invest in him at that position.

I like Rosen a lot, but some of the things I have heard now make me think that maybe Miami isn't the best fit for him if he falls. He could wind up as the next Jose Fernandez... I'd rather gamble on Allen or Darnold if we're in that spot.

Back
Top Bottom