Could Ryan Tannehill be headed down same road as Alex Smith? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Could Ryan Tannehill be headed down same road as Alex Smith?

Depends on what you mean by #QBWINZ.

I would guess that most on this board believe we'd be a couple of wins better with RT than the JC/MM wonder twins. But all that proves is adding a significant upgrade at an important position CONTRIBUTES. It's been clear since the start of the modern passing era that the QB matters.

For the #QBWINZ crowd, I would ask what do you think would happen on almost any team if their top 3 pass catchers went down? Wouldn't team production / wins be expected to fall too?

If 3 players were out, of course, it would have an adverse effect, but would 1? We are talking about 3 players though.

You're aware that you've only made one thing "obvious" over the past couple years of your postings, right?

It's that you are one of a small group who will spend an inordinate amount of time poring through and selecting very specific data to try and make Tannehill seem inferior to every QB who has ever played in the NFL.

Well that shouldn't be a surprise since this is a dolphins forum so of course we will be discussing our starting QB.....that should be obvious as well.

And i don't think overall starting record is not a specific data or stat.

Last edited:
Alex Smith was 10-1 against the AFC West the last two seasons. Mahomes started and won the 12th game. Only loss being by a point to the Raiders. And in 2016, the West was probably the toughest division in the NFL. It fell off a bit in 2017. Tannehill has to, at some point, start elevating his game against the teams that matter most, meaning the division rivals. A 9-7 or 10-6 record, but 2-4 in your own division is not an ideal situation when it comes to playoff seedings.

No, he will not be going down that road.
One of two things will probably happen, Ryan will continue to show his toughness, come back 100% and succeed, or the injury will continue to hamper him, and he will not be signed to a big deal.

The O-line is starting to do a better job of giving their QBs time (hopefully this year they can finally once and for all fix the line), Miami also has a running game, Ryan comes back healthy, he will be better then Smith, much better...get him an actual TE, and Tannehill will once and for all prove to the NFL people who he really is, and how good he can actually be.

Gase also said Tannehill is his starter, the reason he chose the Dolphins, and a much better QB than the doubters (who know nothing about the QB position) think. Game. Set. Match. Thanks for playing.

I also don't recall Gase saying he came to Miami because of Tannehill. He was hired because he was regarded as a QB guru but when we first hired him during the press conference he never really stated that he came to Miami soley because of Tannehill. In fact his reasoning was kinda lame, if I recall he said something to the affect because he is familiar with the AFC.

Agree to disagree.

Lol silly, I didn't say they were unimportant and didn't matter.

The NFL has this tournament at the end of the season called the playoffs and to make the playoffs and compete for a championship you have to win within the division to get there. And oddly enough Tannehill has never played in a playoff game and he has median QB rating of 73.6 against the AFC East. See the correlation there?
Has nothing to do with the fact that both the Jets and Bills strengths are DL and our OL is our worst unit...
I also don't recall Gase saying he came to Miami because of Tannehill. He was hired because he was regarded as a QB guru but when we first hired him during the press conference he never really stated that he came to Miami soley because of Tannehill. In fact his reasoning was kinda lame, if I recall he said something to the affect because he is familiar with the AFC.

Agree to disagree.
1:01
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/91948120-132.html

Word for word: "...Thats why I took the job..."

Last edited:
Depends on what you mean by #QBWINZ.

I would guess that most on this board believe we'd be a couple of wins better with RT than the JC/MM wonder twins. But all that proves is adding a significant upgrade at an important position CONTRIBUTES. It's been clear since the start of the modern passing era that the QB matters.

For the #QBWINZ crowd, I would ask what do you think would happen on almost any team if their top 3 pass catchers went down? Wouldn't team production / wins be expected to fall too?

Thank you.

All one needs to do is recognize that elite QB's passer rating can fluctuate significantly from year to year. I contend that fluctuation is due more to the circumstances that the QB is playing in during that year (strength of schedule, performance of the other players on offense, even how the defense is performing) than the elite QB simply being inconsistent. Tom Brady was clearly an elite QB for many years by 2011. From 2011 through 2015, his QB rating went 105, 98, 87, 97, 102. In 2013, Brady was sacked 40 times and Gronk played only 7 games. I'm going to assume that the combination of poor OL play and the lack of Gronk had more to do with Brady's down season than Brady himself.

You're aware that you've only made one thing "obvious" over the past couple years of your postings, right?

It's that you are one of a small group who will spend an inordinate amount of time poring through and selecting very specific data to try and make Tannehill seem inferior to every QB who has ever played in the NFL.

Is that really any different than those who are part of the other group who spends an inordinate about of time poring through and selecting very specific data to try and make Tannehill seem superior to other QB's?

Where there is ying there must be a yang to bring balance to the force. Pretty sure i've read about 8 times in the last 30 days now how Tannehill is the 3rd most accurate QB with a clean pocket or something like that.

Is that really any different than those who are part of the other group who spends an inordinate about of time poring through and selecting very specific data to try and make Tannehill seem superior to other QB's?

Where there is ying there must be a yang to bring balance to the force. Pretty sure i've read about 8 times in the last 30 days now how Tannehill is the 3rd most accurate QB with a clean pocket or something like that.

Not any different at all. And it's taken to extraordinary desperation. Somewhere else today I saw Greg Cote's opinion of Tannehill dismissed as irrelevant because he didn't rely on film study. I nearly fell over. Unfortunately that's where the offseason takes us. There are a handful of guys in each fanbase college or pro who devote the offseason to technical football. The model never changes. Our favorite team/player is actually far superior to the record, or conventional wisdom. Look, I'll show you right here in a handful of screen shots. Even if there are 5 or 8 years worth of stats and common sense we're supposed to set it aside in favor of glorious tape review, which everyone knows is not subject to bias or fanaticism.

Back to the original criticism of the link...Everything about that column screams opinion piece. It is not posed or disguised as anything else. He's not trying to change anyone's mind about Tannehill. He is bluntly stating his opinion.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

The internet has blended opinion pieces with factual articles. That I will agree with. In print the columns are clearly differentiated, often including the authors' picture, along with familiar placing. You begin the undertaking with full knowledge that it is someone's opinion. On the internet I often see columns wrongly described and attacked as if they were articles. Print often includes qualifying terms like "In My Opinion" on top. Perhaps that is part of it. The internet sees no need for that.

If the author of the column erred in any fashion, I'd say it was on lack of emphasis on what a rare opportunity may be available in this 2018 draft. With so many highly rated quarterbacks there's greater opportunity for someone to slip to our spot, like Roethlisberger to the Steelers in 2004. In that case we absolutely should pull the trigger, regardless of the Alex Smith situation, team need, or original plan. Top quarterbacks on that first contract are such incredible value, as hoops emphasized the other day.

IMO, the Browns should select a quarterback at #1 and #4. That's how vital the position is, and how rare their opportunity is. The only other people I've seen propose two quarterbacks to Cleveland are on the gambling sites. No kidding. Value and margin for error are understood in that setting. My best bet of an entire weekend might go down in flames, while my second most preferred wager cruises to a comfortable cover. Why subject yourself to that possibility with quarterbacks?

I see extremely limited value in tape study once a player is well established within the league. But with college prospects coming from different styles of offense, different levels of coaching, and conferences with wildly varied ability/emphasis, along with the maturity/money aspects, there is considerably more uncertainty toward how that player will project to the NFL. Cleveland may desperately want that bonus running back or defensive end or whatever. No matter. A sharp franchise would set that aside and matter of factly draft two quarterbacks, without concern toward fan base reaction or national reaction or potential awkwardness between the two guys.

Two swings instead of one. Then you have several years to allow things to settle. Maybe one guy jumps to the forefront immediately. If both pan out, then obviously there is potential for a Garoppolo type trade, but with far greater return.

Cleveland drafted five receivers in one draft a few years ago. That was nutty. This would be brilliance.

One problem with statistical arguments, as always, is that the moment someone posts a statistical argument that doesn't agree with another statistical argument, the only thing some folks can resort to is attacking the poster's motivations.

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl, and I think most objective fans would say Tannehill is better than Dilfer. There seems to be this narrative that Quarterbacks are only great if they win a Super Bowl, but if you don’t have a complete team, you rarely are going to win one. Get Tanny some support and then maybe some critics will stop slamming him.

I’m reading these posts and they are missing the point. RT is a pretty good NFL QB. That is not the argument. Has he performed well enough to where he gets the benefit of the doubt where the FO shouldn’t even consider drafting one of the top QBs if one should fall to 11 and the FO believes he has more potential to lead the team to the playoffs and a title.
That is the essential question and IMHO the answer is NO.

Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl, and I think most objective fans would say Tannehill is better than Dilfer. There seems to be this narrative that Quarterbacks are only great if they win a Super Bowl, but if you don’t have a complete team, you rarely are going to win one. Get Tanny some support and then maybe some critics will stop slamming him.

Just acknowledging some simple facts, isn't "slamming" anyone. And what has Tannehill done during his professional life to deserve such blind, hysterical and some times just plain silly loyalty? How has Tannehill earned anything but skepticism in Miami?

People want to point at coaching. But his first OC was a tandem hire to his draft status.

Tannehill has some blame to bear himself. And his sycophants should expect more.

With that said, Tannhill will get til 2020. And we will bear witness to another decade of lost dreams. The Miami Dolphins descent into the Dark Ages continues.

If you want to debate with me over my opinion of Tannehill, bring it on.

I didn't even bother to comment on what was written. It's total fluff. Here's the article boiled down:

I don't like Tannehill. I think the Dolphins should draft another QB.

How the hell does that qualify as journalism? That's all I commented on. I didn't even disagree with his opinion. It would be pointless. There is no football analysis. No insight whatsoever. Just, Alex Smith got traded. I don't like Tannehill. As I said it is total crap.

It's not journalism. It's a fan website that posts blog-type articles, written by fans and people who want to share sports commentary. You're making a big deal about nothing tbh.

Back
Top Bottom