Cutler better than Tannehill? No. This article says it all | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cutler better than Tannehill? No. This article says it all

I waited it seems like 10 years to get the QB I wanted. (we could have moved down to pick him, I forgot who we took instead)

Move on this when I get home from taking my uncle for a walk. This was a big funk up year IMO for the Dolphins.

OK, I'm going to break this down for old times sake.

This was the year we traded a 2nd round pick for Culpepper. WHO we could have gotten for free or we could have signed Drew Brees. So two big mistakes there.

So we do not have a 2nd round pick, so how did the dealing for Culter go down?

The Broncos made a deal with the Rams: Traded 2006 first round pick (#15-Tye Hill), 2006 third round pick (#68- Claude Wroten) to Rams for 2006 first round pick (#11-Jay Cutler) on 2006-04-29.

We had the #16th pick who we wasted on Jason Allen. This is what happened to our 2nd round pick: Vikings, Traded Daunte Culpepper to Dolphins for 2006 second round pick (#51-Ryan Cook) on 2006-03-14.

So we could have had Cutler for our 1st and 2nd easy. But what about our 3 round pick? It was WR Derek Hagan.

This is one of my most hated seasons ever. We ended up losing games because Saban trust "Cleo "funking" Lemon to make 1-2 yards on 3th and 4th down rather than giving the ball to Ronnie Brown.

Last edited:
He had a good stretch, never in that stretch was I wowed by his greatness. He's a good qb. That's it. Don't know why everyone thinks differently lol
I was wowed by that chargers TD to Stills

Last edited:
Say you had a scale from 1-100, measuring aggressiveness. Lower numbers = less aggressive. 50 is the perfect balance (Brady, Brees, Rodgers). Tannehill would be in the 30s, and Cutler would be in the 70s - about equidistant from the ideal, just in different directions. Cutler has the disadvantage of coming in late, and he's not as athletic. I'd be more comfortable with Tannehill starting, but the offense has more upside with Cutler. Since the season was going to be an uphill battle anyway, I don't mind the uncertainty so much.

OK, I'm going to break this down for old times sake.

This was the year we traded a 2nd round pick for Culpepper. WHO we could have gotten for free or we could have signed Drew Brees. So two big mistakes there.

So we do not have a 2nd round pick, so how did the dealing for Culter go down?

The Broncos made a deal with the Rams: Traded 2006 first round pick (#15-Tye Hill), 2006 third round pick (#68- Claude Wroten) to Rams for 2006 first round pick (#11-Jay Cutler) on 2006-04-29.

We had the #16th pick who we wasted on Jason Allen. This is what happened to our 2nd round pick: Vikings, Traded Daunte Culpepper to Dolphins for 2006 second round pick (#51-Ryan Cook) on 2006-03-14.

So we could have had Cutler for our 1st and 2nd easy. But what about our 3 round pick? It was WR Derek Hagan.

This is one of my most hated seasons ever. We ended up losing games because Saban trust "Cleo "funking" Lemon to make 1-2 yards on 3th and 4th down rather than giving the ball to Ronnie Brown.

Along those lines, the biggest mistake in the first round in the past few years was trading down and picking Jared Odrick when Earl Thomas was available at the original pick and played a position of need at the time. He's now the best safety in the league, and Odrick is a nobody.

Say you had a scale from 1-100, measuring aggressiveness. Lower numbers = less aggressive. 50 is the perfect balance (Brady, Brees, Rodgers). Tannehill would be in the 30s, and Cutler would be in the 70s - about equidistant from the ideal, just in different directions. Cutler has the disadvantage of coming in late, and he's not as athletic. I'd be more comfortable with Tannehill starting, but the offense has more upside with Cutler. Since the season was going to be an uphill battle anyway, I don't mind the uncertainty so much.

The biggest upside Cutler offers over Tannehill is the ability to evade pressure and make plays in the face of it. That will extend drives that would've otherwise stalled, which is a major difference. The pass to Parker the other night was a prime example.

Other than that, however, they're virtually interchangeable.

IF, big if, Cutler plays just as well as Ryan I'd trade or cut Ryan next offseason.

Then use a high pick 1st or 2nd on a qb. Wouldn't shock me to see this team take a Lamar Jackson, even tho I'm not a fan, with a 1st pick and let Gase work with him.

Free up some cap, have a vet in Cutler to start and teach and have a player like Jackson be the future.

Yeah he had a good stretch. But it seems like every offseason we all go over a 6-8 game sample where RT "was elite". We don't need 6-8 games, we need 16.

He more than likely was going to win out like Moore did sans NE and probably had a better chance in Pitt than Matt did, not disputing that. I'm just tired of seeing Cutler slander when our very own Ryan is the same exact player.

He had a good stretch, alright, but more than that, that "stretch" was the residual of Gase's influence and game planning kicking in. Tannehill's other "stretches" have never approached elite status. The difference is: this "stretch" prematurely ended by a cheap shot injury with the arrow trending in an upward direction

IF, big if, Cutler plays just as well as Ryan I'd trade or cut Ryan next offseason.

Then use a high pick 1st or 2nd on a qb. Wouldn't shock me to see this team take a Lamar Jackson, even tho I'm not a fan, with a 1st pick and let Gase work with him.

Free up some cap, have a vet in Cutler to start and teach and have a player like Jackson be the future.

If Cutler plays as well as Tannehill this year, he's going to want Tannehill money next year (if he wants to play), so there will be no cap savings in keeping Cutler over Tannehill. At that point you go with the younger player who offers roughly the same performance.

If Cutler plays as well as Tannehill this year, he's going to want Tannehill money next year (if he wants to play), so there will be no cap savings in keeping Cutler over Tannehill. At that point you go with the younger player who offers roughly the same performance.
Maybe, maybe not. Depends..Cutler has made his money and his age makes it hard for him to get big money. Wouldn't surprise me to see him take the same as now for another year.

He had a good stretch, alright, but more than that, that "stretch" was the residual of Gase's influence and game planning kicking in. Tannehill's other "stretches" have never approached elite status. The difference is: this "stretch" prematurely ended by a cheap shot injury with the arrow trending in an upward direction
He had a similar stretch in 2014 under Lazor. He's done it before, it's the inconsistency in his game.

When he's on he's top 10 no doubt. But he's not on enough to warrant the excitement.

Yeah he had a good stretch. But it seems like every offseason we all go over a 6-8 game sample where RT "was elite". We don't need 6-8 games, we need 16.

He more than likely was going to win out like Moore did sans NE and probably had a better chance in Pitt than Matt did, not disputing that. I'm just tired of seeing Cutler slander when our very own Ryan is the same exact player.
I don't think Cutler is the same player.

He had a similar stretch in 2014 under Lazor. He's done it before, it's the inconsistency in his game.

When he's on he's top 10 no doubt. But he's not on enough to warrant the excitement.
I don't think it is a question of him being on.

Back
Top Bottom