Dez Bryant's Numbers at Pro-Day | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dez Bryant's Numbers at Pro-Day

Gil Brandt UPDATE: A few more Bryant numbers to pass along. He measured in at 6-foot-1 1/2 and 224 pounds, and he had a 38-inch vertical, an 11-foot-1 broad jump, 4.48-second short shuttle and 7.21-second three-cone drill.

Short shuttle and 3 cone were terrible times
Didn't expect times that slow. Those are really bad. There were offensive lineman at the combine that ran the short shuttle in 4.51. Now he's looking more like Rashaun Woods.

Obviously he had some kind of issue with his short shuttle and cone drills.

That's interesting. Overall this could be an extremely positive development for Miami. He did not have the kind of day I dreaded, which would have sent him way out of reach of #12.

But he did have a good day. He ran between a 4.50 and 4.52. Don't look at those "averages". That's totally unfair. Every other 40 time any media member has ever quoted about any other prospect has always been a best time. Now suddenly it's an average. Right. That makes a ton of sense. I love comparing apples and oranges. It makes things so much simpler, don't you find? [/sarcasm]

He had a 38 inch vertical which would have ranked #8 of 38 at the Combine among WRs. He had an 11'1" broad jump which would have ranked #1 of 38 among WRs. In fact, it was 7 inches better than the best WR broad jump at the Combine, to give you an idea how ridiculous that is. You rarely see better than 11 feet. The best I ever saw was Calvin Johnson's ridonkulous 11'7" but before that the best I'd ever seen was I believe an 11'2" mark. Interestingly enough Dekoda Watson managed to reproduce that 11'2" mark this year.

So a 4.50-4.52, 38" vertical, 11'1" broad jump at 6'2" and 224 lbs.

Sounds pretty good to me. What I like is there was enough bad in there that some teams might just ever so gently nudge themselves off taking him in the top 10, and yet there's enough good in there that teams with any kind of sensibilities will be like "Are you nuts? Did you WATCH the tape?"

Obviously he had some kind of issue with his short shuttle and cone drills.

That's interesting. Overall this could be an extremely positive development for Miami. He did not have the kind of day I dreaded, which would have sent him way out of reach of #12.

But he did have a good day. He ran between a 4.50 and 4.52. Don't look at those "averages". That's totally unfair. Every other 40 time any media member has ever quoted about any other prospect has always been a best time. Now suddenly it's an average. Right. That makes a ton of sense. I love comparing apples and oranges. It makes things so much simpler, don't you find? [/sarcasm]

He had a 38 inch vertical which would have ranked #8 of 38 at the Combine among WRs. He had an 11'1" broad jump which would have ranked #1 of 38 among WRs. In fact, it was 7 inches better than the best WR broad jump at the Combine, to give you an idea how ridiculous that is. You rarely see better than 11 feet. The best I ever saw was Calvin Johnson's ridonkulous 11'7" but before that the best I'd ever seen was I believe an 11'2" mark. Interestingly enough Dekoda Watson managed to reproduce that 11'2" mark this year.

So a 4.50-4.52, 38" vertical, 11'1" broad jump at 6'2" and 224 lbs.

Sounds pretty good to me. What I like is there was enough bad in there that some teams might just ever so gently nudge themselves off taking him in the top 10, and yet there's enough good in there that teams with any kind of sensibilities will be like "Are you nuts? Did you WATCH the tape?"

What worries me is that the Dolphins appear to have had no interest in meeting with him or sending important folks to his pro day. Despite people's smokescreen beliefs, to me it smacks of the team writing him off already. :( I hope they bring him for a workout, or at least to meet him between now and the draft.

So every player they bring in for a workout means they "love" that player?

I wonder how they plan to draft Rolando McClain and Derrick Morgan since they brought both of them in for a workout. Obviously they "love" both players.

you guys are crazy...4.52 at that size is plenty fast enough...i'm taking him off his game tape alone...which speaks volumes

and that 11 foot broad jump is straight nasty...

truth this is the same dude who tried to tell me that we could maybe get te john carlson for justin smiley straight up...

i wouldn't worry too much about what he's saying :lol:

So every player they bring in for a workout means they "love" that player?

I wonder how they plan to draft Rolando McClain and Derrick Morgan since they brought both of them in for a workout. Obviously they "love" both players.

Not all of them, but they obviously hold the guys in high regard enough that if there guy is not there, they might consider one of them. I don't believe the smoke screen thing one bit, cause after following these guys for two years in the draft they have yet to smoke screen anyone. Why would you waste your time in evaluating a guy you feel will not fit your team. That is a crazy idea.

What worries me is that the Dolphins appear to have had no interest in meeting with him or sending important folks to his pro day. Despite people's smokescreen beliefs, to me it smacks of the team writing him off already. :( I hope they bring him for a workout, or at least to meet him between now and the draft.
Because of the workout they're in a rock and a hard place now. Bryant's 3-cone and short shuttle times sucked. If they bring him in for a private workout to check those times again and have him run routes, etc. They tip their hand. If they don't bring him in and draft him anyway they could be getting a player that can't separate from DBs in the NFL.

Had he run like a 4.1 short shuttle and a 6.89 3-cone he'd be in our wheelhouse and I'd feel comfortable drafting him at #12 but something doesn't seem right here.

Not all of them, but they obviously hold the guys in high regard enough that if there guy is not there, they might consider one of them. I don't believe the smoke screen thing one bit, cause after following these guys for two years in the draft they have yet to smoke screen anyone. Why would you waste your time in evaluating a guy you feel will not fit your team. That is a crazy idea.

Because one day of watching them in shorts isn't going to change what is on 3-4 years of film.

Dez Bryant didn't have his cleats

this dez bryant persona keeps getting more and more interesting

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/30/dez-bryant-forgot-his-cleats/

As it turns out, Oklahoma State receiver Dez Bryant showed up on time for his Pro Day workout.

His cleats, however, didn't make the trip.

We're told that Bryant forgot to bring his cleats, and that as a result he had to wear a pair of brand-new shoes, which had not properly been broken in.

:bobdole:

so much for trying to prove people wrong when they question his personality as a whole (work ethic, accountability, etc.)

i'd still draft bryant in a heartbeat, but man he'll drive bill parcells and tony sparano crazy with that kind of **** happening with the dolphins :lol:

you guys are crazy...4.52 at that size is plenty fast enough...i'm taking him off his game tape alone...which speaks volumes

and that 11 foot broad jump is straight nasty...
The 11 foot broad jump shows some explosion which makes his 3-cone and short shuttle times even more mysterious.

the only thing dez bryant did today was MAYBE make himself available to us at #12...maybe

i tell you this i don't see how off that kids tape he isn't a top 10 selection...it's way too good imo...

this dez bryant persona keeps getting more and more interesting

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/30/dez-bryant-forgot-his-cleats/

:bobdole:

so much for trying to prove people wrong when they question his personality as a whole (work ethic, accountability, etc.)

i'd still draft bryant in a heartbeat, but man he'll drive bill parcells and tony sparano crazy with that kind of **** happening with the dolphins :lol:

That goes back to what I said before. Whoever drafts this kid will have to do a lot of hand holding.

Armando really said that about Smiley and Carlson? Dayum.

Anywho, keep in mind that teams tend to bring in guys for their private visits that have some kind of question about them either personality-wise or medically. Only when you bring in a guy for a private visit can you have him visit your own doctors, go through whatever tests you want, conversations you control, etc. Daniel Jeremiah has talked about this before.

For instance. Miami brought in Mike Williams, Jason Worilds and Rolando McClain. Mike Williams quit his team and is a notorious a-hole. Jason Worilds has a wrecked shoulder that needs serious investigation. Rolando McClain just revealed that he has Crohn's Disease which could literally end his NFL career at any time depending on its severity.

Give ya three guesses why each of them was brought in. Go.

In all seriousness, what you're trying to do is decide whether or not whatever overhanging issue a guy has is not going to take him off your board. You could even apply the same thing to Earl Thomas and Derrick Morgan. What are their overhanging issues? Position. Is Earl Thomas really a safety? If he's not, he's off the Dolphins' draft board entirely. Is Derrick Morgan really a linebacker? If he's not, he's probably off their board entirely. They're not going to place those two players' scout grades next to the grades of guys they know can play the position they want. The scout grade is going to say something like 6.41 for Derrick Morgan and 6.40 for Brandon Graham or Jerry Hughes. But if Derrick Morgan is not a linebacker, then those two grades are not comparable. You don't end up taking Derrick Morgan the DE when you need an OLB. The Dolphins have said many times before they stack their board horizontally.

Last edited by a moderator:
the only thing dez bryant did today was MAYBE make himself available to us at #12...maybe

i tell you this i don't see how off that kids tape he isn't a top 10 selection...it's way too good imo...
Alright hoops. Tell me how you felt about Reshaun Woods from Oklahoma State when he was coming out?

Back
Top Bottom