Dez Bryant's Numbers at Pro-Day | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dez Bryant's Numbers at Pro-Day

Hoops something of the like was written - about Carlson and Smiley - now let's move on - or Chubbs is going to lay the smack down

smiley over carlson??? lol OK

It was a freaking suggestion let it go, already. You obvioulsy hated the idea and we understood it in that thread. Don't understand why you keep bringing it up.

As for the whole draft guru/expert I am not. It has been very well stated and said.

Hoops something of the like was written - about Carlson and Smiley - now let's move on - or Chubbs is going to lay the smack down
hehehe

Seriously people are on edge around here lately, its so bad I dont even think the Draft will help. Think its going to take Training Camp or bust.
Chubbs

It was a freaking suggestion let it go, already. You obvioulsy hated the idea and we understood it in that thread. Don't understand why you keep bringing it up.

As for the whole draft guru/expert I am not. It has been very well stated and said.

that was in reference to what chubby said...not you... :up: he then said he typed it wrong...

Alright let's not be mean.

I've always taken a pick 'n choose approach to the numbers. They can be very important and they can tell you important things. But there's no hard and fast rules for interpreting them.

In this case the shuttle and cones look so far off the mark I'm just going to say you know what, they don't tell me anything. On the other hand the broad jump sort of tells me something because I knew the dude was explosive and rare on tape but that number is also explosive and rare so to me it means something. Running a 4.5 isn't what I thought he COULD run if everything went perfectly for him, I thought he could get down to 4.45 based on the tape, but it's right in the range, and so it means something to me that he's in the range I thought he would be.

A while ago I was just looking at free agent linebackers to be, or guys we thought might be free agents if we had a CBA, and I decided to put up their Combine and Pro Day numbers into the table for comparison, and then also toss in some of the best LBs in the league so it ended up this big table with like 30 names on it or something. There's no rhyme or reason to which numbers create good players. Usually they EITHER had a good vertical OR a good shuttle, something like that. It's very much an either/or thing and it seems like as long as the guy brings something athletically compelling to the table one way or another, and most importantly he happens to be a good football player, that's enough confirmation.

Today was enough confirmation for me to maintain my Top 6 grade on Dez Bryant, which was a Top 5 grade and is now only a Top 6 grade because I didn't know how to treat Sam Bradford's shoulder until yesterday.

#s don't mean squat to me if you don't display the tools necessary to succeed at the nfl level on tape...case in point neither dez briscoe or danario alexander (who both put up #s this year) look to me on tape like impact nfl wrs...

i don't care about #s...i want to see the physical tools to get off press coverage to be able to track the ball down the field to produce separation in and out of cuts and to do something with the ball once it is your hands...dez bryant at 4.52 is plenty fast enough and he will go get the ball when it is in the air...and he will highpoint the ball and he will lay it on the line to catch the ball..and he will carry defenders for extra yards after the catch and he will break tackles...

i mean the kid does it all imo...he may not streak by dbs on a consistent basis but i can guarantee you that when the balls in the air he has the mentality that the ball is his...

i want that on my football team...i'm tired of 3 yard receptions and no vertical over the top real threat and guys who don't make guys miss and carry guys for extra yards...tough yards...

i want a horse...a go to guy...
You know how I feel about the 3-cone and short shuttle times. That's my guage for the ability to get separation and make those cuts without losing a lot of acceleration. Bryant's times were bad, real bad.

Right now some things don't mesh with Bryant. On tape he looks fantastic but you know, I'm pretty sure you're the one that said it to me once, that the DBs in the Big 12 don't play press. They don't get in the receivers face and make it difficult for him to get separation.

There is something absolutely missing here. I've seen Bryant make guys miss not only as a receiver but in the return game, he makes great cuts, change of direction without decelerating, etc. The times don't match.

Remember when I posted about Scott Long from Louisville placing in the top performers at the combine in every catagory for the WRs yet his production didn't match. This is the opposite.

finatic...i've had a rough day at work today...i may have taken it out on you a bit there...

apologies

You know how I feel about the 3-cone and short shuttle times. That's my guage for the ability to get separation and make those cuts without losing a lot of acceleration. Bryant's times were bad, real bad.

Well then that's a very poor and unreliable gauge my friend. Too much noise, not enough signal. Sometimes the times mean something. Sometimes they really don't.

Right now some things don't mesh with Bryant. On tape he looks fantastic but you know, I'm pretty sure you're the one that said it to me once, that the DBs in the Big 12 don't play press. They don't get in the receivers face and make it difficult for him to get separation.

There is something absolutely missing here. I've seen Bryant make guys miss not only as a receiver but in the return game, he makes great cuts, change of direction without decelerating, etc. The times don't match.

Remember when I posted about Scott Long from Louisville placing in the top performers at the combine in every catagory for the WRs yet his production didn't match. This is the opposite.

i'm throwing those 3 cone and shuttle times out...chalk it up to a bad day...lol

scott long to me was way too upright at the combine in drills...something there i didn't like...

anyways...remember truth that for me the tape trumps all...workouts pro days...they don't matter to me that much if i see what i need to see on tape...had he run a 4.8 i'd be genuinely worried...he didn't...i'm going with the tape...

and i don't for the life of me believe that those 3 cone and shuttle drills he ran today are indicative of the tape...

Well then that's a very poor and unreliable gauge my friend. Too much noise, not enough signal. Sometimes the times mean something. Sometimes they really don't.
Is there a better measure? I don't put too much stock in 40 times cause football isn't played in a straight line. Taylor Mays is a prime example of straight line speed but he can't change direction, he has no instinct and can't defend the pass worth a crap.

i'm throwing those 3 cone and shuttle times out...chalk it up to a bad day...lol

scott long to me was way too upright at the combine in drills...something there i didn't like...

anyways...remember truth that for me the tape trumps all...workouts pro days...they don't matter to me that much if i see what i need to see on tape...had he run a 4.8 i'd be genuinely worried...he didn't...i'm going with the tape...

and i don't for the life of me believe that those 3 cone and shuttle drills he ran today are indicative of the tape...
Alright but I would take Eric Berry over him in a trade up giving up our 3rd. Any GM that can pull that off has my respect, lol.

Berry or Bryant. Like Finatic said one will drop. But we won't know till draft day. Well atleast the Raiders won't take Bryant

Back
Top Bottom