Did the Bills improve over this offseason? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Did the Bills improve over this offseason?

Did the Bills improve this offseason?

• Yes, they improved

Votes: 41 82.0%
  • No, they did not improve

Votes: 9 18.0%

• Total voters
Dude, sorry but if you're changing from a pass-happy offense to a BALANCED attack or whatever you wanna call an offense that features one proven WR, a fullback with stone hands, and blocking specialty tight ends, thats still an identity change. Prisco got it right, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Dude, sorry but if you're changing from a pass-happy offense to a BALANCED attack or whatever you wanna call an offense that features one proven WR, a fullback with stone hands, and blocking specialty tight ends, thats still an identity change. Prisco got it right, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

The chances on O. will hurt, I'm sorry, I was more speaking to the D..The O will definetly have to grind it out..The Rams didn't change their O..just their D..Bills have change both,,not sure of the results of that...But Drew is a player who could put the ball in just about any spot, and even with less WR corps, he's like a middle years Marino in that department and can make things happen.

ah... ok..

on offense the bills lost price, riemersma, and centers.

price was gone no matter what.. so we got a first round pick for him. he was not worth 5+mill a year. reed had over 500 yards last season, dropped only 2 balls all season, and had the best rookie season for a wr in bills history. he can be every bit as good as a guy like hines ward.

the bills lost reimersma.. wow.. big loss.. he did nothing but drop passes and lose bledsoe's confidence and get hurt all year.. if you watched any games, you would know that moore was basically the starter and much more productive, as he could actually catch in the endzone.. he will just get more time now without jr there.. and we traded for a huge man in mark campbell from cleveland.. he is 6'8, 275, and is alot like moore.. block first, catch second. this offense does NOT depend on the TE that much, and moore and campbell will be fine. the bills will go after mark bruener if he gets cut, but he is much the same mold as the other two.

centers.. all centers did was take time from henry on third downs.. henry showed he can catch fine last year racking up 40 catches, and gary has always been a great receiver, so he should be able to pick up any slack that henry cant... i could care less about centers or jr.. and i am confident in reed...

bobby shaw takes over for reed.. he had over 500 yards last season in jacksonville and will fill in fine covering for the 500 yards we probably wont need from our 3rd wr.. also rookie aiken has looked good in minicamps. jett comes in from time to time to strech the field.. nothing more.

sam gash comes in to just help block and he is not listed as the starter.. crosby will fill that role too. he was the beast the led the way for henry last year when he got 1400+ yards. not centers. sam is leadership and superbowl experience.

our O line is exactly the same.. 4 out of 5 guys were in new spots last year and they played admirably.. they will be much better as 3 of them were very young and improving.. williams, jennings and sulivan. teague has another year at center and rubin brown is a probowler.

i would say that covers the offense.

on defense line we added sam adams, who regardless what you thing you know, improves run defenses.. look at oaklands numbers before and after he got there.. look at baltimores numbers before and after.. he is a proven winner. he helps make everyone on our dline including pat williams that much better..

schobel has improved every year in his first two years.. finishing with 8.5 sacks.. that is with NO help from the tackle next to him.. now he has some. he should break 10 sacks at least.

on the other end, we signed marcus jones who was a solid player for tampa, rackign up 13 sacks a few years back. he is almost back from his knee surgery. we also drafted chris kelsay in the second round, and have last years second round pick ryan denny. there is also keith mckenzie who had 8 sacks 3 years in a row... is it a quesiton? yes. will someone step up? hopefully.. we have enough options that someone should be able to.

at LB.. we went from the most weak spot on the team to this being the strongest.. we replace eddie "jooked by pennington" robinson with spikes.. if you dont see a HUGE upgrade there, your nuts.. a dominant LB liek spikes can change the whole defense... fletcher was a rock last year, 3rd in the nfl for tackles, and we replaced the small newman with a pass rushing type LB in posey. if posey doesnt work out, we also have our 3rd round pick in angelo crowell to work with, but posey will be fine. LB will be our strength this year..

our DBs.. look.. i know you all love madison and surtain.. why wouldnt you.. but not everyone has 2 all world CBs.. i am confident that clements and winfield can match up to any teams corners in the nfl other than maybe miami and possibly philly.

at safety.. wire will improve more. he looked great at times, but made rookie mistakes last year too. reese, denvers starter at FS last year, and priolou will fight it out for the FS spot. we added sidney as a nickle back, who was a projected starter in tennesse. he will compete with last years rookie, kevin thomas, who looked like one of teh best dbs on the field by the end of last season.

add to that another years experience for all the young guys that have been plugged in since TD got here 2 years ago..

naw.. i dont see any improvement.. what was i thinking.. :rolleyes:

The Rams did not change their identity as a team. A team identity does not include "Offense that scores ton of points, defense that doesn't stop anyone"

If anything the Rams attempted to reach back to their identity in 1999 when they actually WON the super bowl. They were a pass-happy tons of fun and points offense utilizing Marshall Faulk as a RB mismatching him against linebackers, utilizing three and four WR sets and passing downfield a whole lot, with a defense whose SPECIALTY was victimizing offenses who were attempting to play "catch-up" with the Rams by attacking the air. That DE who is on the Rams now Kevin somethin was in his glory days, they were getting pressure from every angle, and their secondary was coming up with big turnovers. Statistically, in 1999 they were one of the top defenses in the NFL. In 2000 their defense was absolutely terrible so in the offseason they made a ton of moves to try and get that defense back up to snuff. This is NOT to confused with an identity change. Every team wants to play good defense.

Your example would be a valid one if the Rams had given away Isaac Bruce or Torry Holt and added a blocking specialty fullback. The Rams, though, giving away Isaac Bruce or Torry Holt? Yeah, right.

Youre so right Tonk, guess the rest of the league should just pack it up and not even play the season, huh! The bills will be hands and feet above the rest!

Re: Re: Just ONE reason why they'll be better...

Originally posted by MDFINFAN

I asked Ton and Clump who would come in if Drew went down and how they feel about their teams, having seen a response yet.

is tatonka.. or tonka.. or tonk.. but ton.. ouch.. :D

one of the most interesting thing this preseason will be to see if travis brown can take #2 from VanPelt.. i think he can. i like the guy alot.

van pelt is the perfect back up qb.. he has the respect of the team, can lead the team, and has starting experience. he doesnt have the cannon that bledsoe does but not many do. he would do fine for a stretch.. if it was a season thing, brown would be teh guy probably.. i feel good about both of them.

see, you can point out, what if you lose your qb.. but you can say that about TONS of teams.. you dont even know what griese will look like for you guys.. we was not impressive in denver since his one probowl year. he has been drunk every since.

and what if ricky goes down? your in trouble.. just like most other teams would be.

Re: Re: Re: Just ONE reason why they'll be better...

Originally posted by Tatonka

is tatonka.. or tonka.. or tonk.. but ton.. ouch.. :D

one of the most interesting thing this preseason will be to see if travis brown can take #2 from VanPelt.. i think he can. i like the guy alot.

van pelt is the perfect back up qb.. he has the respect of the team, can lead the team, and has starting experience. he doesnt have the cannon that bledsoe does but not many do. he would do fine for a stretch.. if it was a season thing, brown would be teh guy probably.. i feel good about both of them.

see, you can point out, what if you lose your qb.. but you can say that about TONS of teams.. you dont even know what griese will look like for you guys.. we was not impressive in denver since his one probowl year. he has been drunk every since.

and what if ricky goes down? your in trouble.. just like most other teams would be.

Van Pelt is alright, but I wouldn't claim him to be "the perfect back up qb." Hell, last year- Lucas was the perfect back-up QB and look where that got us.

...and don't pull the "he has been drunk" card on Griese, or I'll have to pull the "I SWEAR SHE LOOKED 18" card on Henry :lol:

The "Dude, sorry" post was directed at Baalworship not you MD. What I was trying to say is that the Rams team identity was score tons of points through speed through the air and with Marshall, and utilize a defense that has the ability to victimize other offenses when they try to play "catch-up" and get into predictable situations. To change their team identity would be if like they attempted to turn into a clock control offense with a bend-but-don't-break defense or something.

What the Bills are trying to do right now is do just that, IMO.

price was gone no matter what.. so we got a first round pick for him. he was not worth 5+mill a year. reed had over 500 yards last season, dropped only 2 balls all season, and had the best rookie season for a wr in bills history. he can be every bit as good as a guy like hines ward.

If that isn't the biggest bit of Bills homerism I've seen in a while I dont know what is. We didnt ask for excuses as to why Peerless left, merely the acknowledgement that he IS indeed gone, which means a pro bowl caliber WR has left your team and is being replaced by a 2nd year unproven guy who merely caught for 500 yards last year.

All I saw in that long azz post was a bunch of homeristic optimism, excuse-making, and rationalizing. The only good point was that Crosby is going to be the starting FB and therefore Gash's arrival doesn't mean much about the FB position.

I like how somehow, some way, losing Peerless Price won't affect the offense whatsoever, and yet, getting Jeff Posey and Angelo Crowell to replace "the small" Keith Newman is just an OBVIOUS upgrade.

Since when was Dainon Sidney a projected starter in Tennessee? Gee, and I thought they had Samari Rolle over there and drafted Andre Dyson in the first round to be their starters...

Blah blah blah blah FREAKING blah.

While I agree that the Bills can say they upgraded on Defense, I don't know how they can say they upgraded their offense. Not saying they haven't, but at this point there are to many unknowns about their offense to say if it will be better or not.

We can debate all we want about Reed but truth is until he proves what he can do as a #2 receiver then he is still an unknown. It took Moulds 3 years to finally prove himself. There is such a major difference between being the 3rd WR and the 2nd WR on a team that had the talent the Bills had at WR. I will reserve judgement on the offense till the season starts.

I think that there is no way you can judge a player that is unproven, the best that you have is speculation.

That would be like the Fins Fans saying that in Jimmy's first year that Zach, Jason and the rest of the rookies were an upgrade to what was there before them, turns out they were but there was no way to know this before the season and only a homer would think otherwise.

Originally posted by ckparrothead

If that isn't the biggest bit of Bills homerism I've seen in a while I dont know what is. .

you must be used to homerism from reading here so much..

you wanted an explaination, i gave one.

fact is peerless was NOT a probowl WR.. never has been.. and i personally dont think he will succeed as the falcons number 1.

did we lose 1200 yards receiving from him? yes..

will we definately need all that this year with an improved offense? doubtful.

that is as nonhomer as i can put it.

but i am sure you have more to say about how the bills have not improved.. blah blah blah blah.

if you want.. we can just keep talking about how the fish will be 16-0 with perfect defense and a team that has no holes.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing that nobody is talking about with the bills is the fact their offensive line was very young, inexperienced, and had almost the entire group changing positions last year....yet still put a qb, wide reciever, and running back in the pro bowl....then made the 2nd option reciever the top reciever in free agency

It all starts up front.....new aquisition left tackle Trey Teague moved to center, right tackle Jonus Jennings moved to left, and they played a rookie offensive tackle Mike Williams on the right side.....

When you consider how well they did last year....and all those guys have had a year to work together....coupled with bringing in a good experienced offensive line coach from the Packers......

Yeah...this team is going to be improved

Heh after all the Bills pokes at the homerism on this board boy does their homerism show through on this one.

The Bills made good strides to improve themselves on defense and provided that they gel their run defense should become average instead of pathetic. Which should give us our first real good look at Winfield/Clements to see if they are the real deal or not. I still think the Bills will have a hard time pressuring the QB and they will end up blitzing their LB's a lot to make up for it. Safeties are still questionable.

On offense there is 2 real big questions:

A) Can Henry be the focus of the Bills offense after a year in which every opponent was focused on the passing game.
B) Can Reed match up on #2 corners.

What made it hard to line up against the Bills was the fact they could spread you out. Moulds/Price and Reed was a great match up on nickel corners which gave running room to Henry to make all those runs to the outside and you had to respect the FB out of the backfield. If A or B fails the Bills offense (yup so explosive they were only 4 spots ahead of the phins offense!) will sputter somewhat.

Now in the almighty Bills homerism these questions are already answered to themselves. Just brimming with confidence. Just remember Bills fans. The WR position is a tricky thing. Just ask our very own Chambers who lit up 3rd corners but had a setback adjusting to #1 corners. Also don't expect Shaw to really light up any nickel corners. He had enough trouble in the pass happy offense of the Jags getting anything going last year.

Tatonka , finally someone hit a nerve with you, that was the most passionate, homerphobic response I've seen in a while..You didn't write anything in that post that the phin fans here, don't write about their team, and you were sarcassic for weeks...that's why I kept asking you to write about how you felt about the bills..I wanted to see the difference..and quite frankly there was no difference on how you thought of your team, compared to how we think of our team. Basically you gave your WR's a pass..the same as us..you gave your OL a pass...the same as us..you down played your TE position..Drew uses all weapons available to him..but you may be right, he didn't use reimersma as much, I didn't watch all your games, but I thought he was pretty good. Your CB's are not even close to as good as where you rate them..who did they stop last year...except for Lucas, who threw right to them....Now that you've posted this we can come back to it from time to time, when you make your next post rebuttal when fin fan states his thought..don't edit it..I definelty want to come back.:D

Back
Top Bottom