Do we need to Draft Offensive Line high again? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do we need to Draft Offensive Line high again?

I like some of those players too but here's my question......would you draft a center over WR,LB,Pass rusher and RB?....as we both agree those are our biggest needs then you don't even think about drafting a center till the 3rd round at the earliest imo. I know I wouldn't unless a center is all you're missing. Just like you spend your big money at other positions in free agency, you also use your high picks at other positions instead of center. I think we can win with Karras at center but we won't get far with the WR's and RB's we have.
I wouldn't draft a center over top guys at any of the 4 positions. But if a top center drops into mid late second. I start to consider.
Parson and waddle is my perfect 1st but sub Smith or chase and im just as happy. I am someone who is slotting 2A for the best RB on the board, Harris is my dream. Now 2B and 3, is where it comes down to who is left on board. I want another TE, WR, Edge and center. Grab those and to me perfect draft.

The question is how good has Karras actually played and can we upgrade there without spending too much.

I think Karras has been solid at best and i would like more from my Center than he is giving us.

But i would not categorize upgrading him as a major Need.

I consider RT to be a major need.

I think down the road Kindley and Hunt will be the two OG's with Jackson at LT.

Find a legit pass protector for Tua at RT and keep Karras or slightly upgrade him if possible.

I know they need weapons at WR and RB and those guys are shiny toys to have under the Tree but Tua is not going to make it behind a decent OL, it has to be better for him to thrive.

The defensive needs are less desperate .They need help at LB obviously but the DL is pretty solid.Can it be improved? Sure, they could add some beef in the middle and a pass rusher but they are pretty good as is.

I went into this season wanting to add a young S to the secondary but they have played well enough as a group that I would put that on the back burner.

So, I want a legit pass protector at RT, a game breaker type WR (Devonta Smith would be very nice) and a quality RB (2nd round at the earliest).

They should be able to find that in the first 2-3 rounds no problem.

Add an athletic LB and maybe a Center(if Karras is not the long term plan) and the most glaring needs have been met.

I think all those things can be done without reaching or ignoring BPA.

The question is how good has Karras actually played and can we upgrade there without spending too much.

I think Karras has been solid at best and i would like more from my Center than he is giving us.

But i would not categorize upgrading him as a major Need.

I consider RT to be a major need.

I think down the road Kindley and Hunt will be the two OG's with Jackson at LT.

Find a legit pass protector for Tua at RT and keep Karras or slightly upgrade him if possible.

I know they need weapons at WR and RB and those guys are shiny toys to have under the Tree but Tua is not going to make it behind a decent OL, it has to be better for him to thrive.

The defensive needs are less desperate .They need help at LB obviously but the DL is pretty solid.Can it be improved? Sure, they could add some beef in the middle and a pass rusher but they are pretty good as is.

I went into this season wanting to add a young S to the secondary but they have played well enough as a group that I would put that on the back burner.

So, I want a legit pass protector at RT, a game breaker type WR (Devonta Smith would be very nice) and a quality RB (2nd round at the earliest).

They should be able to find that in the first 2-3 rounds no problem.

Add an athletic LB and maybe a Center(if Karras is not the long term plan) and the most glaring needs have been met.

I think all those things can be done without reaching or ignoring BPA.
Why is RT a priority need? Any stats to backup how bad Hunt is in your eyes? I'm not trying to be confrontational. I'm actually looking for oline stats for our 6 guys. I'm not looking for pff grades, they are bs. I'm looking for simple stats. Number of snaps, pressure allowed, sacks allowed.

I just don't think he has the feet to protect Tua's blindside consistently.But I do think he has the potential to be an excellent interior lineman and I would prefer to play guys where they are at their best.

Protecting Tua should be Job One for this franchise.Finding him weapons is Job Two.

I think the Defense while not great is good enough right now to be a legit playoff team when paired with a better Offense.I also feel that in today's NFL it is more important to excel on Offense than Defense so more resources should be used there.I also have some trust that Flores can cobble together a solid D without pouring high picks and expensive players into it.

I am not saying RT has to be found in Round 1, but I do feel they need to find one.

I would be more than willing to use one of their first 4 picks on a RT I felt was going to be my long term starter.

I'd go w TWO OL in the first 4 picks, Leatherwood and Humphrey. I'd trade down a little from our own 1st, pick Humphrey and then Leatherwood with Houston's 2nd. Switch AJ to RT and insert AL at LT. I'd pick D Smith with Houston's 1st and Javonte Williams/Chubba Hubbard with our own second. Then I'd pick best LBer scheme fit left in the 3rd.

I wouldn't draft OL in the top 2 rounds. The guys we've drafted will be fine with the proper coaching and play design.. To me it looks like mental errors more than physical. They need to teach and develop those young guys not just keep replacing them.

I think LB, RB, WR and pass rushers are bigger needs. Then a run stuffing DT. 340 lbs. +

Creed Humphries perhaps at 1b.
Sewell will be gone - Bengals perhaps, or Giants.
I'd still take a WR at 1. Unless someone offers us a kings ransom for our 1st.
We desperately need at least 2 WR who can open the field up for Tua or Fitz.

RT Abraham Lucas at 2b would be my preference, with a Center taken at 3 or 4, but it's early.

Lucas might climb in the ratings, especially if Washington State actually gets to play all of their games. He's on the Outland Trophy list and is the pre-season Pac 12 all league team. An injury could derail his progress, obviously... but he's my guy.

If we miss on Lucas, I'll cry silently to myself, and then look at Minnesota Tackle, Daniel Faalele, a 6'9", 400 lb. monster. Like Lucas, he is a Right Tackle who would shunt Robert Hunt inside to Guard where he belongs.

If you want to have some fun go for Daniel Faalele as RT and Landon Dickerson at Center \ Guard and see a trail of bodies left in their wake.

The OL is clearly a work in progress with 3 rookies added this year.

But based on the last 2 games being unable to run or protect the QB should we be looking to add more OL talent early in the Draft?

I would guess they will be active in the FA market as well.

I'm worried about introducing a rookie Center to the equation just now. I think 3 young guys with 2 vets is about right. We do have to improve the Oline but none of the 3 rookies can become anything without playing. That's the dilemma.

You're probably right about an RT. So perhaps IOL and RT - one in FA, one in the draft.

Would consider drafting Creed Humphery late first. We still need a long term answer at Center. Karras has been solid but he’s had some up and down play. I think this young OL would benefit more by adding a proven vet. Joe Thuney would be ideal. Start Jackson, Flowers, Karras, Thuney, Hunt. Think he could really help the young tackles

I agree with those exact needs. I'm just not ready to invest big money in a salary cap down year on a center like TK. Thats not where you put big FA money.
What's your thoughts on Meyers? Is he a big drop off from Humphreys?

I like some of those players too but here's my question......would you draft a center over WR,LB,Pass rusher and RB?....as we both agree those are our biggest needs then you don't even think about drafting a center till the 3rd round at the earliest imo. I know I wouldn't unless a center is all you're missing. Just like you spend your big money at other positions in free agency, you also use your high picks at other positions instead of center. I think we can win with Karras at center but we won't get far with the WR's and RB's we have.
Carson, the running back on Seattle, might end up as a free agent. That's the type I'd look to sign at the right price.

You better believe it. Leatherwood and Humphrey will both be looked at with our second 1st rounder.

I wouldn’t be surprised if 2 of our first 4 picks are olinemen. That more than likely means another first and second rounder spent on the oline boys. Pray Grier gets this right so we can move on from this position group lol.

What's your thoughts on Meyers? Is he a big drop off from Humphreys?
I don't have a big drop off btw them. Creed has more experience. I had him at the top of the list last year. Just haven't seen anything different this year.

Back
Top Bottom