Do you agree with re-signing Hartline? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do you agree with re-signing Hartline?

Are you pleased with a Hartline re-signing...

• Total voters
I'd say the # of rookie receivers who come in and put up 800 yds and 3 TDs who are drafted in the 2-3rd round are pretty rare. There are a lot of names floating around..but lets be honest most of them won't pan out. That's just the nature of the draft

Some drafts are stronger than others, so it depends.

The problem with this line of questioning is there's more than just 2013. Yes it might be difficult to get a 3rd rounder to outproduce Hartline in 2013, but in 2014-2016 those WRs you drafted will be producing much more for you, in their athletic prime and at a dirt cheap price. Several will far outproduce Hartline and they'll do so for 5 million less per year.

I don't trust Ireland to find the right WRs, so I understand anyone with that point of view. But when you're wanting known quantities of expensive mediocrity because you suspect you'll get nada from the WRs your GM picks in a WR rich draft, that's a sad state of the union. It's also a recipe for passing on the next Mike Wallace, Brandon Marshall, Steve Smith, etc because you've already "solved" your #2 WR spot with Hartline.

The problem with this line of questioning is there's more than just 2013. Yes it might be difficult to get a 3rd rounder to outproduce Hartline in 2013, but in 2014-2016 those WRs you drafted will be producing much more for you, in their athletic prime and at a dirt cheap price. Several will far outproduce Hartline and they'll do so for 5 million less per year.

I don't trust Ireland to find the right WRs, so I understand anyone with that point of view. But when you're wanting known quantities of expensive mediocrity because you suspect you'll get nada from the WRs your GM picks in a WR rich draft, that's a sad state of the union. It's also a recipe for passing on the next Mike Wallace, Brandon Marshall, Steve Smith, etc because you've already "solved" your #2 WR spot with Hartline.

Was typing a similar response to another poster, but you said better than I was going to.

Why not just draft Ryan Swope? He has chemistry with Tannehill. I personally think he will be better then Hartline.
Don't lie yourself!
Man if you think Swope is Hartline's replacement, you're clueless. Ryan Swope was a slot receiver at Texas A&M, not an outside receiver.

Also being realistic, there are few NCAA players that can have instant success at NFL. Of course that Swope's speedy and has great hands but in order to be productive at pro-level he could require the regular 2-3 seasons period of maturing of NFL WR.

1) Those drafted receivers ARE going to give you atleast the same production that Hartline would. BTW, the stats that I've looked at says that's not true..BUT I could be wrong
2) Overall without your most productive receiver ast season(Hartline) and literally except for maybe Bess and Matthews...3 new players(Wallace, 2 receivers)

I fear Ireland has the same narrow mindset. You're only considering the WR position in 2013, without considering 2014+ and the ability to spend that Hartline money on other positions in 2013 that make the overall team better.

Jennings
Hartline
Bess
Rookie
Mathews

Would be a solid unit especially if we up grade the TE position as well.

Meet me half way.
I think you need to gamble and trust young talent, but they can't be your only option to build a competitive roster. In my mind a third round pick should be ready to produce at his second year and prove he's worth of starting in his third season, so if Ireland gives Hartline a long term contract, I hope it includes an easy exit if some of our developing projects at WR pans out and beats him in a year or two.

I fear Ireland has the same narrow mindset. You're only considering the WR position in 2013, without considering 2014+ and the ability to spend that Hartline money on other positions in 2013 that make the overall team better.

Fine, Lets play your game. Let's make a list of receivers for whatever 3-4 years time period you want. It will compare How much more productive they've gotten from the time they were drafted(Your argument) compared to whether they are still in the league or aren't more productive( My stance or Narrow mind-set as you call it). What do you think we will find?

Yes he is a keeper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd be happy even if the real cap hit is 6 million per year. From where were are now, I can see these upcoming FA #'s are going to get really silly.

With 2..count them 2....***ent wide-outs that are on everyones list....we may not even be in the running. I'm glad we have Hartline done. Now, If we can get one of the big 2 fine !...If not, let's draft our asses off.

Fine, Lets play your game. Let's make a list of receivers for whatever 3-4 years time period you want. It will compare How much more productive they've gotten from the time they were drafted(Your argument) compared to whether they are still in the league or aren't more productive( My stance or Narrow mind-set as you call it). What do you think we will find?

You're still not playing my game because you're still only talking about the WR position and ignoring the other positions we could strengthen. You're just talking about Hartline for 6 mil+ versus unknown rookie WR for dirt cheap but might bust, but ignoring the position(s) I'd strengthen with the 6 million you put into your 1 TD per year WR.

I'm saying 2 high draft pick WRs like Patterson/Allen and Bailey plus using that 6 million to upgrade at DB, OT or TE is better than spending 6 million #2 guy, not strengthening one of those other weaknesses, having less money in 2014-2016 and likely choosing 1 less WR than we would have otherwise, thus reducing our chances of finding a good one.

Who are the top 2 WR targets in free agency that are about to land 10+ million per year contracts after producing gobs of TDs and super bowl victories for their teams? The 52nd pick in the 2006 draft and the 84th pick in the 2009 draft. Guys teams that already had a "solid #2" probably passed on.

Six million a year for a decent wr with no big play ability is a waste of resources

Six million a year for a decent wr with no big play ability is a waste of resources

I can't argue against that. He's a AVG #2 WR at best. He's not a #1 WR that's for sure.

The only thing I can think they are thinking is they think the signing of Jennings or Wallace will make Hartline look better.

I can't argue against that. He's a AVG #2 WR at best. He's not a #1 WR that's for sure.

The only thing I can think they are thinking is they think the signing of Jennings or Wallace will make Hartline look better.

That line of thinking to me would be a mistake, Brandon Marshall didnt make him look any better and he is as good as either player.

I remember when Marino eclipsed the 5 mill. per year salary. What do you think he'd be getting now? Still all in all I want Hartline on the team.

Back
Top Bottom