Do you agree with re-signing Hartline? | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Do you agree with re-signing Hartline?

Are you pleased with a Hartline re-signing...

• Total voters
I'm just trying to help put things in proper perspective. I used Bowe specifically because he's the first "BIG" receiver name to get resigned. I think it helps in establishing proper perspective by comparing this "#1" vs. Hartline for a few reasons:

1) Folks seem to think this is the time of the year when players are signed for what they're "worth." Apparently, in our case at a huge position of need!
2) Our F.O. are ran by completely idiots and other F.O.s aren't! Check out what they're saying about the F.O in KC based on the Bowe signing
3) Value can also be Intrinsic...MOST folks don't get this!

well no matter how u spin it, Hartline at over 6 is not great value.

I'm just trying to help put things in proper perspective. I used Bowe specifically because he's the first "BIG" receiver name to get resigned. I think it helps in establishing proper perspective by comparing this "#1" vs. Hartline for a few reasons:

1) Folks seem to think this is the time of the year when players are signed for what they're "worth." Apparently, in our case at a huge position of need!
2) Our F.O. are ran by completely idiots and other F.O.s aren't! Check out what they're saying about the F.O in KC based on the Bowe signing
3) Value can also be Intrinsic...MOST folks don't get this!

Why are you comparing Hartline to #1's? He is not a #1. We need better if we want our franchise QB to succeed.

Six million a year for a decent wr with no big play ability is a waste of resources

Hartline has great hands, and is a one-man highlight machine. BUT, all he does is catch the ball and usually move the chains. He normally doesn't get yards after the catch, and a strong breeze knocks him down. I like him, but he is NOT worth 6 million per year; I'd give him no more than 3 million. While some think that re-signing our own free agents (at a fair price) is a good thing, I disagree. This is a 6-10, 7-9 team; there are very few players on the roster that are worth keeping. I definitely wouldn't spend 12 million on someone like Wallace... there are way too many holes to fill to waste a big chunk of money on one guy.

Hartline has great hands, and is a one-man highlight machine. BUT, all he does is catch the ball and usually move the chains. He normally doesn't get yards after the catch, and a strong breeze knocks him down. I like him, but he is NOT worth 6 million per year; I'd give him no more than 3 million. While some think that re-signing our own free agents (at a fair price) is a good thing, I disagree. This is a 6-10, 7-9 team; there are very few players on the roster that are worth keeping. I definitely wouldn't spend 12 million on someone like Wallace... there are way too many holes to fill to waste a big chunk of money on one guy.

I wouldnt call any player with 1 td in 74 receptions a one man highlight machine but i agree for most part

Because Tannehill was a rookie and learning th pro game, Hartline should be better this season and he's tough, it wasn't hard to shut him down becuase there were no experienced receiver opposote him to draw coverage away from him.

Do you want to win? you have to fill holes with the right players, if wallace is there and if they can afford him then by all means go get him, Miami have to find a way to close the gap in that division and new england isn't slowing down

Nah, we can easily afford either if we want them. A million is nothing in the grand scheme of things, even if we are really stuck and need a million to sign someone, we have plenty of ways to get it, like cutting Patterson.

Clearly signing Hartline was always in the plan, if we are targeting say Cook and Wallace, locking down Hartline wont change that. It does rule out Wallace AND Jennings, but well that was never, ever happening.

We also must look at the possibility that Ireland wants to help "attract" Wallace when we go after him and make our offer too. He could be wanting to solidify the other side with a smart veteran to not have Wallace thinking "but I'll be on the other side of a rook? what if the rookie ends up sucking like their draft pick Egnew did last year and I end up on the other side of Davone Bess?" Type of deal.

If we end up in a bidding war between say CLE, NE, INDY, and US....we need to help sell him we'll be exciting.

Because Tannehill was a rookie and learning th pro game, Hartline should be better this season and he's tough, it wasn't hard to shut him down becuase there were no experienced receiver opposote him to draw coverage away from him.

well he had a pro bowl receiver next to him the previous year and he wasnt that awesome

A one man highlight machine? No.....not even close.

People making the argument that hartline only had 1TD and therefore isn't worth 6mil must not know much about the game of football. Last I Checked football is a TEAM sport so it takes the good play of others for one person to shine. There were at least 4-5 times where Hartline got behind the defense and for whatever reasons the ball didn't get thrown where it needed to be, either he was overthrown, under thrown or the ball was never thrown to him at all. In my book, when i'm evaluating him as a player, those count as TD, not his fault the ball didn't get to him, or that it was not thrown properly. I'm sure other GM's and Coaches see this, and his Agent is making this very clear in negotiations. He should have had at least 5-6 TD last year. so 74 Receptions 1084 yards and 6 TD's, is THAT worth 6Mil a year??? That should be the question.

Well he is not signed yet for any dollar value so lets just wait a bit more and see

People making the argument that hartline only had 1TD and therefore isn't worth 6mil must not know much about the game of football. Last I Checked football is a TEAM sport so it takes the good play of others for one person to shine. There were at least 4-5 times where Hartline got behind the defense and for whatever reasons the ball didn't get thrown where it needed to be, either he was overthrown, under thrown or the ball was never thrown to him at all. In my book, when i'm evaluating him as a player, those count as TD, not his fault the ball didn't get to him, or that it was not thrown properly. I'm sure other GM's and Coaches see this, and his Agent is making this very clear in negotiations. He should have had at least 5-6 TD last year. so 74 Receptions 1084 yards and 6 TD's, is THAT worth 6Mil a year??? That should be the question.

Oh, he should have had at least 5-6 TDs last year, but I don't think the blame for his lack of production falls on everyone but him.

It's hard to commit to a guy who had clear chemistry with your young & improving quarterback. We had to re-sign him.

We also must look at the possibility that Ireland wants to help "attract" Wallace when we go after him and make our offer too. He could be wanting to solidify the other side with a smart veteran to not have Wallace thinking "but I'll be on the other side of a rook? what if the rookie ends up sucking like their draft pick Egnew did last year and I end up on the other side of Davone Bess?" Type of deal.

If we end up in a bidding war between say CLE, NE, INDY, and US....we need to help sell him we'll be exciting.

LOL.

Agent: Well, everyone's willing to pay our $ demands, so where do you want to play?
Wallace: It's tough man. Indy's got Luck, Wayne, Hilton and New England's got Brady, the TE's, Belichick and they always win. Tough to decide!
Agent: Don't forget Miami. They just resigned Brian Hartline.
Wallace: They did? Why didn't you say so earlier! Exciting! Where do I sign?

People's standards for a number 2 receiver need to be raised.

just to name a few:

Roddy White
Antonio Brown
Hakeem Nicks
James Jones
Jordy Nelson
prime Anquan Boldin
Eric Decker
Miles Austin

Go get an FA to be your temporary number 1, draft a potential number 1 in Patterson, 3-4 years down the road Patterson becomes the 1 and the FA the 2. If you get Hartline, you will have to choose between drafting a 1 and signing a 1, both wont happen

Back
Top Bottom