Dolphins bash Florida Legislature for failing to pass stadium bill | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins bash Florida Legislature for failing to pass stadium bill

A comparison between a spoiled individual not getting his way and voters not given a chance to vote.......please get real! PLEASE!

Everyone wants to bash the legislature collectively. From what I understand, the votes were there to pass, but the Speaker of the House refused to bring it to a vote. This is solely on the Speaker.
Harry Reid does this all the time in the US Senate. I personally feel that the respective heads of both legislative bodies (at the state and federal level) should not have that kind of power.
"Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts absolutely"
-John Dalberg

Dear Stephen Ross,

You own a private business. F*** you. Fund your own renovations.

Love Always,

Terry

Does the city, county benefit from said "private business"? Yes they do. Therefore, they should share in the renovation costs.
You clearly do not understand economics.

Does the city, county benefit from said "private business"? Yes they do. Therefore, they should share in the renovation costs.
You clearly do not understand economics.

They probably benefit more from international banking which according to some reports brings billions of dollars to area in one way or another and definately employs many more people. This bill would have so calledly taken away incentives for international banking in Miami. Doesnt the county benefit from almost every private business in some way much like seven degrees of seperation. So should we renovate every private business or what should the prerequisite be. Walmart hires a ton of people in Miami should the taxpayers renovate Walmart. We dont even know all the parameters of the bill that kept getting tacked on. I still believe trying to rush this through the legislature was a bad idea in the first place. The legislature said this was open to discussion in the next session. Hell we dont even truly know the dollar amounts, because the mayor said like 289 million, we know the NFL will loan Ross 150 million. So thats 439 million and not even close to the so called 70 percent that people have discussed.

I just dont see the foresight from Ross that should have been there. Like I said did he wake up in January and say damn I need to renovate my stradium. I actually like the plan to a great degree that was discussed initially but the numbers dont add up. I blame the NFL above anyone else because they should never have even had Miami in consideration for a superbowl if they did not feel the stadium was good enough. I personally think this is their new brand of black mail. I do not see how trying to bad mouth the people that will decide if the bed tax is to be raised and what to do with it will help his cause.

I also think to a degree that this was much ado about nothing since last I heard the public was against this bill. I know in march a poll had 77 percent against.

The speaker should be bashed, there were enough votes to pass the bill. He should have put it to the floor for a vote. They knew the time frame was short in order to get upcoming Super Bowls.

$20 says no one debates this article in any meaningful way.

Of course not they will call me a hater or say I only say negative things about the dolphins. I will admit I have had more to say negative in recent years because thats what losing is, negative, its not positive.
I wish people had been this upset about the bush/gore election. I never understood an agreement being made basically about the deal when state law mandated that bed taxes were maxed already. Wouldnt it have been wise to try to fix that aspect first. Maybe you can help me on one issue. How much money is actually involed
This is from article
Florida lawmakers ended their 60-day legislative session on Friday without approving a deal that would have provided taxpayer support for a $350 million dollar upgrade to Sun Life Stadium, according to the Miami Herald.

Had the legislature approved the deal, the people of Miami-Dade county would have voted on a referendum on May 14. The proposed deal would have raised up to $289 million for renovations by raising the Miami-Dade hotel tax from 6 to 7 percent. The Dolphins would have also had a shot at up to $90 million in state sales tax rebates.

Plusthis from another article
As the county commission meets today to consider a proposed deal to renovate Sun Life Stadium, news comes that the NFL has decided to chip in $150 million of the estimated $480 million it would cost to Flip This House, leaving the county and the Dolphins with $350 million to cover. The deal also includes a clause that would cancel any local taxpayer funding if the Dolphins are not awarded Super Bowl L or LI.

There's a consensus building that this is a significantly less taxpayer-face-punching of a deal than the Marlins Park catastrophe, considering the team would end up covering 70 percent of the snazzy refurbishing. But given the Fish's ongoing meltdown, will voters be on board for even that more modest contribution to a sports franchise?

The deal would leave Stephen Ross $41 million shy of his promised $191 million

How is this 70 percent?

The speaker should be bashed, there were enough votes to pass the bill. He should have put it to the floor for a vote. They knew the time frame was short in order to get upcoming Super Bowls.

This is my contention in first place. Why did owner decide to wait so close to super bowl vote to try to get bill passed. The 49ers were working on getting stadium quite a while ago and did not wait for nfl vote to be around corner. Houston did their renovations a while back

An article on one of the main sticking points of bill that not many are aware of

http://www.politicalcortadito.com/2013/04/29/dolphins-stadium-could-kill-jobs/

:crazy:

The truth comes out.

Nobody on the Dolphins stadium deal’s high-priced cheerleading squad has mentioned that to get the $3 million in annual state sales tax, legislators in Tallahassee — who may or may not consider the deal this week even as early voting begins today and absentee voters are already casting their ballots — would have to rescind more than $10 million in tax credits given now to a community of foreign investors and international bankers.

And there you have it.

Only on this board will you get Dolphins fans defending corporate subsidies for Russian bankers over corporate subsidies for the Miami Dolphins. Only on this board.

The banksters have won again.

:crazy:

The truth comes out.

And there you have it.

Only on this board will you get Dolphins fans defending corporate subsidies for Russian bankers over corporate subsidies for the Miami Dolphins. Only on this board.

The banksters have won again.

Well you must admit that has done alot for the economy of area , the south american business influx is a major economic factor.

On another note I dont trust the NFL and I dont trust Banks but I admit banks are more important to the economy.
I keep all my money in my mattress which doesnt help every ache and pain and dislocated item on my body from infantry wear and tear

Well you must admit that has done alot for the economy of area , the south american business influx is a major economic factor.

So let me get this straight, you literally think that the state of Florida should prioritize SUBSIDIES FOR INTERNATIONAL BANKERS over financial assistance to the Miami Dolphins.

OK, I'm done with this thread and this topic.

I'm not going to argue for or against but I do want to correct one thing .... ALL construction jobs are temporary. That's why they're called "construction" jobs. Because to construct is to build and all building projects come to an end. The pyramids, the bridge to nowhere, etc. A construction career is always about getting the "next" job, but I'm sure there are lots of construction workers that would love to have some security for 18 months to 2years. 2000 workers, 4000 workers ... whatever the number.

I hope Ross figures a way to get it done himself.

On another note I dont trust the NFL and I dont trust Banks but I admit banks are more important to the economy.
I keep all my money in my mattress which doesnt help every ache and pain and dislocated item on my body from infantry wear and tear

Don't like government/private ventures but if I had to, I rather invest in the local guys, but hey that just me .... I also think illegals shouldn't be given welfare so...

Back
Top Bottom