Dolphins Franchise Tag Landry | Page 10 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Franchise Tag Landry

Well there ya go, everyone is freaking out over nothing.
You know, I was thinking about the josh norman situation earlier today. Glad you brought it up

Maybe the phins are going to let all the wr needy teams find their guys in FA/the draft, then rescind the tag and try to lowball landry. wouldn't that just be so miami?

it wont stay that high. it just shows that "hey we want you, and are willing to do what it takes, now lets figure this out'. this will be lower, he will get high guarantee. I think this says suh may be out the door with post june 1 designation if he will not restructure. we have plenty of ways to get cap space. we will be fine

You know, I was thinking about the josh norman situation earlier today. Glad you brought it up

Maybe the phins are going to let all the wr needy teams find their guys in FA/the draft, then rescind the tag and try to lowball landry. wouldn't that just be so miami?

Lol that would definitely be so dolphins. But if that is the plan, I don't see teams offering much for Landry because they will call us out on our franchise tag bluff and just wait until we rescind it then chase after Landry on the market. Or they can sit back and watch us pay Landry $16 million for a slot WR.

James is better than Davis, and by a good margin.

I'm strongly in favor of bringing back James, but I can't agree with this at all.

Jesse Davis was legitimately one of the best players we had on offense as the season progressed. He was at times completely dominant, he stayed healthy for 16 games, and he provided a critical infusion of talent at a position where it was needed most. The guy's actually got pretty impressive athletic talent, too. He's big and strong and he moves very well.

Davis isn't just a feel good UDFA who made the roster by virtue of the fact that our OL was trash. Davis looks to me like he has potential to grow into one of the best guards in the NFL. He also played well at right tackle when he was asked to do that.

Now, if you want to argue that he only did it for one season and James has been a good tackle for several seasons? I'll agree with you. But I can only evaluate Davis by the one season we've seen him, and I was really impressed.

Jarvis Landry is the heart and soul of this team - when he went ballistic after scoring that touchdown - thats when the team was able to mount a comeback - not before. And yeah - he scored the TD. Honestly cannot believe the FH posters who look at him simply as a slot receiver. Just wait tiill Tanny's back - y'all be eatin crow then I guarantee

I'm strongly in favor of bringing back James, but I can't agree with this at all.

Jesse Davis was legitimately one of the best players we had on offense as the season progressed. He was at times completely dominant, he stayed healthy for 16 games, and he provided a critical infusion of talent at a position where it was needed most. The guy's actually got pretty impressive athletic talent, too. He's big and strong and he moves very well.

Davis isn't just a feel good UDFA who made the roster by virtue of the fact that our OL was trash. Davis looks to me like he has potential to grow into one of the best guards in the NFL. He also played well at right tackle when he was asked to do that.

Now, if you want to argue that he only did it for one season and James has been a good tackle for several seasons? I'll agree with you. But I can only evaluate Davis by the one season we've seen him, and I was really impressed.

He played decent at RT. James is superior at RT, which is what we're talking about. James has been superior for years, not just part of a season. Letting James go and counting on Davis being able to take over and continue to play as well as he did (not as well as James) is a fairly Dolphins thing to do. Counting on the unproven over a proven capable, albeit not All Pro, starter. Meanwhile, you're still stuck either needing another RT or another OG.

On the flip side, you can sign James to a long-term, reasonable contract and keep Davis and develop him at his stronger position of OG and have him for depth behind James. It's baffling to me to think that some would prefer to create yet another need unnecessarily.

Just chiming in here. I knew the tag was always going to happen and he wasnt hitting the market. But to do it on the first day they are able is kind of confusing to me.

Landry still holds all the leverage here.

1. He could hold up not signing the TAG. He does that MIA still has to account the 16M against the top 51 and he cannot be traded until he signs the Tag.

2. He can miss all offseason to include camp all the way until week 10 before coming to work and still becomes a UFA in 2019 (unless tagged again at 120% raise).

3. Tagging on the very first day to me sends a message MIA has no intention on signing him to a deal.

4. Also rescinding the Tag after the start of the New Year means he would not qualify in the compensatory formula because he eseentially was cut. If fins want him to count in that formula the tag would need to be rescinded before the start of the New League year in March.

Last edited:
Led the league in receptions. Tied for 3rd in league in TD’s. Had the second highest passer rating when targeted in red zone last year. Ravens and Bears fans are pissed because they wanted him. Yet FH is pissed we are keeping him. Sounds about right.

My thoughts exactly. Everyone keeps calling him a "slot" receiver as a jab, personally I think he means a lot more to this team than "just a slot receiver."

For everyone bvtching about overpaying for a slot wr, at least he's a good player. 90% of the other guys we over pay suck outright.

Right? We overpay Branch, Alonso, and Thomas and no one really cares but the second it comes to the best player on offense it's unacceptable. Haha makes no sense.

All I know is it took 20 years to find a high level wr. There’s a feeling of this is easily replaceable that bothers me. Too many years of watching scrubs like Bess and hartline and all that other trash butcher the position

I can’t go back there again

THANK YOU

Landry's low ypc is due to the coaches using him that way! And besides that, 8.8y still moves the chains.

The tag has strengthened the team's negotiating position in a possible trade. Smart move.

Landry for his production was the buy of the century earning about $866k per season. I think if we dont' flip him, we are paying too much, but it's what the market will bear. And I have no problem rationalizing that after all the years of getting much more than our moneys worth, it's just evening out to some extent.

And yeah, with the money that's being flashed around, when the smoke clears, shelling out $16m might turn out to be not that much of a hosing.

Tannenbaum strikes again. We don't want to pay Landry $14 mil per season but are willing to give him $16 mil on a franchise tag. Makes sense. LOL
are you aware this is a stop gap until July to get a long-term deal done? They obviously cherish his skills.

Back
Top Bottom