Dolphins Franchise Tag Landry | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins Franchise Tag Landry

I've been saying for months that tag-and-trade would be the best possible outcome given Landrys (unrealistic) salary demands. He won't get 5/70 from us but he could get it from a few teams I could think of off the top of my head who would also be willing to give up a 2 and a 4. I would gladly take a high 2nd from SF or CLE it means we get closer to moving to a 12-personnel base with a couple of these great looking TEs in this draft!

It just reeks of a panicked desperation move with no long term thinking if they pay Landry big money.

Is Landry the kind of guy who will happily play on a one year deal and bank on having a good year to get paid next year? Or is he a guy that will want the security and the threat of a tag will get him to take a reasonable deal?

We want the second. If he plays on the tag, thats the worst case scenario for us.

James is replaced by J.Davis and you would get 2 high picks not mediocreland picks.Cleveland picks 1st and 4th in 2nd rd.
Losing Landry doesnt create a big hole,spreads the ball out more like most winning teams do.Use your 2nd for a seam stretching
mismatch t.e. like Andrews,Gasiecki.or Goedart.Besides frees up ton of cap space

James is better than Davis, and by a good margin. I know we like our feel good UDFAs coming up from nowhere to conquer the world stories, but the reality is, James isn't remotely close to as bad as some make him out to be. He should be signed to a long term, reasonable contract. Odds are pretty ****ing long that you'll find an RT on his level in the 2nd, let alone the 3rd, especially in this draft. Davis should be kept as a potential starter OG and good depth, something we've been sorely lacking.

And you're opting to trade a proven WR for the weak potential of any of those TEs turning into the mythical seam busting TE we all dream of. None of these gambles, and that's exactly what these trades are, make any sense. The odds of you finding talent at the level of James, let alone Landry, with either of those picks are most certainly not in your favor. Landry was a steal where we got him. He was the exception, not the typical find at that spot. James was over drafted, but if you land someone like him in the 2nd or 3rd, you've done quite well. A solid starter. All Pro? Clearly not, but certainly a decent-to-good starter.

The idea that we can only hold onto All Pro level talent is crazy. It's even crazier when the option chosen is for a crapshoot draft pick.

Look this is a good move if you can resign Laundry to a fair deal and or get max compensation for him. I really am not confident Tbum can do this. Tbum has been known for putting the Jets in unfriendly cap situations which if your winning its acceptable. Its done lets see what we can do like many have mentioned the money we spent on key free agents like Branch, Kiko and Timmons did not pan out well. We know what we have with Laundry and Thill needs the juice comming back from his injury. IMO if we stumble again next year Tannehill could be gone and Jarvis also in another rebuilding mode. We have better players than we had 3 years ago when we went 10 6 and we have the draft in front of us.

I’m happy with it. Buys us time to get him extended

Didn’t even wait til the tag deadline. Tells you how they feel about the player and it’s not mandos garbage take

I do not like paying him 15 mill but it does buy time. Our ineptitude to make a deal prior to this is what got us to this point.
Landry is the heart and soul of the offense and is not an issue in any way. we need to find a way to sign him long term.

I wonder if this move precludes a contract restructure

To say....suh

Hmmmmmmmm

God I hope not. There is no advantage in kicking more guaranteed money down the road on that contract.
His contract gives no real option to cut him until the final year of his contract, moving more money to the backend means that if he falls off a cliff in two years it will cost like 14 million in dead cap his final year

I am not opting to trade him im just not paying him what he wants which is about 4 mil per year
to much,so rather than lose him im choosing to get something for him.Yes your correct he probably cant
be replaced with a 2nd rd pick but your slot shouldnt be your no.1. What has Jarvis done to win games?Im not worried
about p.f.f or fantast football bottom line no slot is worth that kind of money,especially since we have so many other needs.
I would still rather obtain picks and fill out roster than OVERPAY for one guy that isnt game changer.We can agree to disagree
but i will never mention Landry with Hopkins,Brown,Jones or Green let alone pay their money

I don't know why everyone is freaking out about this. I think it's a smart move. I think it means that the dolphins FO aren't planning on giving him the contract he wants. If the negotaions were any where close then they wouldn't have placed the tag on him so soon.

To me this smells like a tag and trade. The WR market this off season is slim (including the draft). We place the tag on him now and see what offers we get from other teams. If we can't get a good offer for him then can we not just remove the tag on him? Like the Panthers did with josh Norman? When would be the deadline to rescind the tag? The tag at least gives us a chance to get something for Landry instead of just letting him walk.

After a player is tagged they have until July 16 at 4 p.m. EDT to come to terms on a multi–year deal with their respective teams.

Teams can only use the franchise tag once every off-season, and it only guarantees a player’s salary for the following year.

A player can be tagged up to three times by their team. Teams are also allowed to rescind the franchise or transition tag, allowing that player to become a free agent

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.c...-tag-contract-rules-explanation-date-deadline

That reads to me they would have up to July 16 to rescind the tag.

Oh yeah Chicago and San Fran aren’t giving us a top 10 pick for him and they’d be the primary trade candidates for him

Maybe Baltimore but I doubt they would like the contract

But Chicago or San Fran’s high 2 hmmm

Maybe we could swap picks in the first to move up and land a 2nd as well?

Maybe I’m in the minority here but I’m thinking we’re close to a deal and we wanted to show him how much we wanted to keep him in Miami. But if the right trade comes along I’m all for moving him and getting something for him.

After a player is tagged they have until July 16 at 4 p.m. EDT to come to terms on a multi–year deal with their respective teams.

Teams can only use the franchise tag once every off-season, and it only guarantees a player’s salary for the following year.

A player can be tagged up to three times by their team. Teams are also allowed to rescind the franchise or transition tag, allowing that player to become a free agent

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.si.c...-tag-contract-rules-explanation-date-deadline

That reads to me they would have up to July 16 to rescind the tag.

Well there ya go, everyone is freaking out over nothing.

Back
Top Bottom