Dolphins trade for Saints LB Stephone Anthony | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins trade for Saints LB Stephone Anthony

Oof. Hope it's a 6th or 7th. Definitely a see ball, get ball type of LB but does offer some blitzing ability ... which I guess is something we do with those guys now.

Not a fan of giving up draft picks for guys I wouldn't have drafted in the first place ... for reasons that have already shown up in the NFL ... which is why a terrible defense has already benched and traded him ... but this is what happens when you're desperate as a result of being repeatedly stupid (shitty luck too, I guess). You trade picks for busts hoping they can show some semblance of being a first rounder so you don't have to start multiple undrafted rooks at LB.

At the end of last season, if you told me Rey Maualuga and Stephone Anthony were going to be the solution to the LB situation I would've laughed in your face. Guess the joke's on me.

Last edited:
Silver lining here maybe he's a fill til Timmons comes back. On a rookie deal still has to be dirt cheap. Unlikely to be ready to go this week either way in our scheme.

I'm really hoping Timmons comes back and mauluga gets in shape

Can an in shape Mauluga play in the nickel or would he get destroyed? So what's the deal, we can suspend Timmons for 4 weeks than have to either re-instate or cut him?

Adam Caplan‏Verified account @caplannfl 9m9 minutes ago
#Saints missed badly on Anthony, a 2015 1st rounder.

Armando Salguero‏Verified account @ArmandoSalguero 6m6 minutes ago
Maybe a new start, change of scenery in Miami sets Stephone Anthony right. But he was not good in New Orleans.

Alex Marvez‏Verified account @alexmarvez 5m5 minutes ago
I figure Adam Gase asked his father-in-law & former @Saints LBs coach Joe Vitt for scouting report before making Stephone Anthony trade.

Barry Jackson‏Verified account @flasportsbuzz 11s11 seconds ago
New Dolphin LB Anthony started 16 games as rookie in 2015, but play declined. Three starts last season. Hasn't played in game this season.
He made the all rookie team. Apparently New Orleans changed their defense removing the middle linebacker, or he lost his position, they are not clear on this. He had some injuries and problems playing on the outside. Reportedly he's fasting can cover receivers and the natural middle linebacker. Hopefully a change of scenery works out in our favor.

Silver lining here maybe he's a fill til Timmons comes back. On a rookie deal still has to be dirt cheap. Unlikely to be ready to go this week either way in our scheme.

I'm really hoping Timmons comes back and mauluga gets in shape

For all the cursing and condemning right now, I think that's what everyone is hoping for.

As mad as we all are, it'd be mighty easy to forgive and forget if Timmons comes back and plays a big part of getting us in the playoffs.

Miami saw the atrociousness of coverage in the middle of the field and probably wanted to get somebody who could play nickel and have some versatility. Still probably won't be pretty but at least they're not staying still in that regard.

If it's a for 6th or 7th round pick I think it's worth it. Look at our picks the last 2 years only 2 are on active roster Grant & Taylor. The others were cut or on PS Lucas, Doughty, Duarte, & Ford.

Plus our scouting dept has killed it with undrafted FA anyways so even more to like if it's a 6th or 7th round for a cheap athletic LB that hopefully will be highly motivated.

Can an in shape Mauluga play in the nickel or would he get destroyed? So what's the deal, we can suspend Timmons for 4 weeks than have to either re-instate or cut him?

No, he can't play in the nickel..

Cam Jordan is not here for that trade.

Could've signed Gerald Hodges and kept the pick

They could have done a lot of different things. But they obviously liked this option better. Until it actually plays out, nobody knows for certain which was the better option.

Like everyone on this board, I have my own opinion of what I think this team should do or, better yet, what I'd do if I was in charge. But having said that, I'll continue to believe that Adam Gase knows at least a little bit of what he's doing until proven otherwise. Weak schedule or not, he took a franchise that hadn't won more than 8 games the previous 7 seasons and had only won 10+ games once in the past 12 seasons and guided them to a 10 win season and a playoff birth as a rookie head coach. And they're off to a 1-0 start this season despite numerous injuries and setbacks.

Let's see how it plays out.

One thing is for sure, this FO isn't messing around. Glad to see them being proactive even if I have no clue who this guy is

I don't think we just found an all-pro, or even a sure starter, but how can anyone hate this move? We had 4lbs dresssed Sunday, and 3 of them were undrafted. 2 of them are undersized, and very few NFL starts from 3 of the 4 on our roster. Anthony at least has the size and speed to play NFL LB, and has expierience starting in the NFL. The Saints staff have done zero things right on defense, so if he didn't fit what they are doing that is not a sure indictment of his ability.

The expectations of the fans on this site are so crazy. We had 2 horrible thing happen to our projected starters. The staff is in the 2nd year of building a roster, and that takes 3-4 years to do it right. We were so lucky to be able to become a playoff team in year one of a complete rebuild, but don't think this isn't a complete rebuild. When you lose your starting MLB week 2 Ray Lewis isn't going to available to claim off waivers. You do your best to get competition on the position, and we did that today.

apparently he still has the high ankle sprain, going to need to be able to pass a physical one would assume- for the trade to go through.

Back
Top Bottom