Dolphins working on trade for offensive tackle Branden Albert | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dolphins working on trade for offensive tackle Branden Albert

fact is:

Albert + #12 pick > 1st round offensive lineman (assuming the 2nd would be used to move up)

well it's not quite that simple...the rookie pick under this new cba ot would come a lot cheaper over the length of the contract...even in the top 6 picks these guys aren't getting any $8 mil per year under the new cba...so you have a rookie tackle under control for the next 5 years at if they perform well what is a bargain price or you have a better than average but nothing special ot at a lot more money than that you probably lose or tell to take a pay cut after 3 years of the contract extension you sign them to in trade...ie albert...

keeping the top #12 pick is nice no doubt but with the rookie you get at least 2 contracts out of him with the vet we probably cut bait in 3 years or he takes a cut...and you start looking for a new ot for the long term unless you've got one in the wings waiting and developing...

or the other option the complete stop gap veteran off the street with no future cap implications that you must look to replace in no time...but also have no lost draft pick compensation or draft picks used period

the other thing here is i we do make this deal is albert can play a mean left guard down the road if need be...pretty good move athlete here...got more meat on the bone than jake long left if you ask me...

i guess kc has come down some off those 2nd and mid round demands i heard earlier...

i just hope this isn't $9 mil per year...especially in this market...

Jake's a very big guy. If Albert has more meat on him then he's absolutely huge. Why is KC so eager to get rid of him if he's so good. They are all speculating KC will take Joeckel, Fisher or Lane Johnson in the draft.

Nfl.com Ian rappaport reporting this too per rotoworld

He's also saying it is for the 54th pick, not the 42nd! Also being reported that the 3 top LT could be gone in he first 4 picks!

A few things....
1. This is an Omar Kelly report.
2. I have not seen any other legit reporter say that the Fins are in talks with KC. Omar is the least of any of the local guys with connections.
3. I was correct IF this Omar report is true that this trade would be rekindled the week leading up to the draft and not weeks ago.
4. I have been an ardent supporter of making a bold deal for an OT. Branden Albert has been at the top of the list. However, I have also said that a #2 straight up for Albert is not fair for Miami. The reason being is the player will need a ample contract to go along with the compensation that is funneled toward KC. While he might not get as much as Jake Long because he is looking for security financially (he feels the need to get SOMETHING longterm now), it will still be good money. Therefore, KC must lower its demand of a 2. 3b or 4 is much more palatable IMO.
5. Finally, I have predicted that KC WILL in fact come of this #2 demand come next week. Andy Reid has no attachment to Albert, will want to start a fresh OT, does not want a distraction from Albert and Reid loves his picks on draft day.

I also feel it won't be a second but maybe a third or fourth depending on the extension money. And we know Albert must sign an extension for the trade to happen.

I was okay with a potential Albert deal when the rumors first got going. This confirms we won't go Corn with pick no 12, Ireland has seen the light!!!

Jake's a very big guy. If Albert has more meat on him then he's absolutely huge. Why is KC so eager to get rid of him if he's so good. They are all speculating KC will take Joeckel, Fisher or Lane Johnson in the draft.

ha ha you took that wrong...i mean i like alberts short term future outlook more than i do jake longs...i think he's more dependable to not go on ir in 8 games than jake is...and i think jake is trending down....i think albert is kinda not ascending but running an even line these days...not special but solid and pretty dependable i'd say...

you're forgetting one very important part.... the long term, high salaried contract. So it's a 2nd rounder AND a large contract for Albert

Who cares about the damn contract. People act like we DON'T HAVE IT or something. And I'm not against a $9mil per year either. Especially if it's incentitive driven. People need to think outside their boxes my goodness. We have $16 damn million of cap space and we HAVE TO USE IT. Hello....

You make a good point. To add to what you are saying, people killing the idea of an Albert trade are the same ones saying "add playmakers!"...well, now you can early in the draft with this deal.

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

Plus, it looks like it will take less compensation in terms of picks to nail down Albert than to trade up for a Joeckel or Fisher.

EXACTLY what I'm thinking

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say
#1 KC Joeckel
#2 JAX Geno
#3 OAK Floyd
#4 PHI Johnson
#5 DET Fisher

Like they say, the devil is in the details. If they sign him to a contract based on performance and a clause they can release him after a couple seasons if he doesn't measure up would be more palatable. Teams aren't exactly beating down the door to sign the guy.

Who cares about the damn contract. People act like we DON'T HAVE IT or something. And I'm not against a $9mil per year either. Especially if it's incentitive driven. People need to think outside their boxes my goodness. We have $16 damn million of cap space and we HAVE TO USE IT. Hello....

who cares is a really poor way to look at things when it comes to the cap...you always need to be mindful of it and thinking about the future...

Dolphins close to deal with Brandon Albert per Sun Sentinel

I ilke the trade. Now the first pick is def going to be more exciting.

No you do not. Explain why you think that? before you bring up the cap floor... it is a nonissue.

who cares is a really poor way to look at things when it comes to the cap...you always need to be mindful of it and thinking about the future...

good thing we have a 45 year old MILF with a cpa and mba running the show.... and people were quick to give credit to Ireland :chuckle:

Back
Top Bottom