ESPN/Walker: "Miami TE Michael Egnew showing strides" | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN/Walker: "Miami TE Michael Egnew showing strides"

There are some other recent thread specifically bringing up Egnew's good performance in OTAs. I think this is probably best discussed within them but it's just my opinion.

I don't think those however many threads bashing Egnew for no good reason are worthy either.

Threads like this just give fuel to people who like to pretend that there's a faction of fans who believe Egnew is the super awesomest most greatest player ever, so that their own continuous stream of unmitigated Egnew bashing looks like just a reasonable counter response rather than what it really is, which is an unjustified reaction to 60 seconds of Hard Knocks footage combined with a rookie not playing much in his rookie year (which we've seen in the NFL, countless times).

Not a fair characterization of the people who dislike Egnew, imo. This comment here really seems directed at a few people -- one in particular -- but by trying to disguise it what you're really doing is engaging in widespread ad hominem attack. If I dislike Egnew because I thought he college tape wasn't very good and had that opinion supported by every report that came out about him -- in other words, from more than just Hard Knocks -- then I'd feel as justified being negative about him at every opportunity as I would be being positive about Rishard Matthews at every opportunity if I liked him at Nevada and saw flashes.

It is what it is. You make it sound like it's not appropriate to have a stance on Egnew when what I really think you're doing is objecting to the volume.

Ok, I'll say it. Lets see this continue with him wearing pads.

i don't blame you for saying it...last year it was in pads that he showed nothing...so to say he needs to show in pads makes plenty of sense...but i guess that makes you a member of the miami mob...i'm of the mindset you earn your spot on the 53 or at least you show off redeeming qualities...not just given it...you've had your mulligan...now you're gonna have to show me and prove me wrong...

if it was up to me he never would have made it out of that first training camp...and not just because of any hard knocks coach bashing

Not a fair characterization of the people who dislike Egnew, imo. This comment here really seems directed at a few people -- one in particular -- but by trying to disguise it what you're really doing is engaging in widespread ad hominem attack. If I dislike Egnew because I thought he college tape wasn't very good and had that opinion supported by every report that came out about him -- in other words, from more than just Hard Knocks -- then I'd feel as justified being negative about him at every opportunity as I would be being positive about Rishard Matthews at every opportunity if I liked him at Nevada and saw flashes.

It is what it is. You make it sound like it's not appropriate to have a stance on Egnew when what I really think you're doing is objecting to the volume.

he's coming after me...what else is new...ha ha...cause you know it was all media hype brought on by hard knocks portrayal of the kid and a couple catches against current 9 to 5 ers late in preseason games that i couldn't see the uber talent and justify a roster spot...

what he's doing is making crap up to try and cover for a really poor showing by a guy he liked as a prospect...but that's nothing new...

i hope this kid does show something to make it even worth an argument cause right now all it looks like is some people are getting clowned...

he's coming after me...what else is new...ha ha...cause you know it was all media hype brought on by hard knocks portrayal of the kid and a couple catches against current 9 to 5 ers late in preseason games that i couldn't see the uber talent and justify a roster spot...

what he's doing is making crap up to try and cover for a really poor showing by a guy he liked as a prospect...but that's nothing new...

i hope this kid does show something to make it even worth an argument cause right now all it looks like is some people are getting clowned...

You were not the first (or third, or fourth) person I was thinking of when I wrote that.

Egnew bashing is a proxy for Ireland bashing...

I was not encouraged by Egnew whatsoever last season and I have also basically written him off as a bust (glad if in proven wrong!), but it seems like there is so much vitriol against the EggMan because he was the one pick of Ireland's that didn't show any potential last year, so all the Ireland haters could point at him for everything that was wrong with Ireland's ability to draft talent.

well it sure felt that way and i bet walrus would say it read to him as directed at me...bottom line is if the kid proves himself to be worth a damn then give me all the hell you want...but making plays in underwear is not proving anything nor does it really lend to anything once the pads come on...put the pads on and show you belong...if not stop wasting time in my facility

and you can add that cb will davis to my list also...i don't like that player off college tape either...at all...hated both these 3rd round picks when i evaluated them...

Anyone who disliked Michael Egnew prior to the Draft, I fully understand and expect them to dislike Michael Egnew right now. I have never had a problem with that. I have more of a problem with people who didn't have an opinion on Egnew until Hard Knocks.

WHEN I argued with you about Michael Egnew in the past, it was because you outwardly and explicitly accused anyone who believes Michael Egnew could still ever amount to anything in the NFL of refusing to admit when they've been PROVEN wrong. And this was still during the preseason if I remember correctly. The preseason of a guy's rookie year. In other words, you clearly did not afford me the same respect that I afforded you. That was wrong of you.

If a 3rd round pick shows you something in his rookie season that is a net plus. You can't have those type of expectations year in and year out of a 3rd round pick. Many of them are projects.

Anyone who disliked Michael Egnew prior to the Draft, I fully understand and expect them to dislike Michael Egnew right now. I have never had a problem with that. I have more of a problem with people who didn't have an opinion on Egnew until Hard Knocks.

WHEN I argued with you about Michael Egnew in the past, it was because you outwardly and explicitly accused anyone who believes Michael Egnew could still ever amount to anything in the NFL of refusing to admit when they've been PROVEN wrong. And this was still during the preseason if I remember correctly. The preseason of a guy's rookie year. In other words, you clearly did not afford me the same respect that I afforded you. That was wrong of you.

well the part you leave out of that is how after we drafted the guy when i voiced my opinion on the prospect after plenty of predraft study mind you cause i do my homework and my utter distaste for his game in the pros both you and slimm told me i didn't know what i was talking about and that i was way off base how it was a great 3rd round pick value and prospect at the position...

so yeah maybe i did take some of that with me when the guy looked like ass in a bucket come camp and preseason...and then did nothing the entire season

I'd be all for it if Egnew kicked ass this year. Why wouldn't everyone else? Last year is gone and the future is now.

Back
Top Bottom