ESPN/Walker: "Miami TE Michael Egnew showing strides" | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN/Walker: "Miami TE Michael Egnew showing strides"

Devil's advocate on this one just because there isn't anything good on tv....Philbin talking him up to get a trade value? I doubt it, but at least it's something new in the Egnew deb(h)ate.
Um, that would be conspiracy idea, not playing devil's advocate. there is no way he has any trade value. in fact the only way he'd have any trade value would be if he's our number 1 receiver in preseason, and then... why would we trade or cut him?

Usually when it takes time for someone to get on the field, it is due to the competition in front of them. So, who was in front of Egnew last year. Jerod Mastrud....who caught 1 pass in three years with the Dolphins. I know...that's some tough competition there!

People forget that Rishard Matthews barely got any playing time last season, despite our WR corps being awful. Olivier Vernon only got limited snaps, despite us having no pass rush opposite Wake. Josh Kaddu - did he suit up for any games? I genuinely don't know without going off and googling it. Lamar Miller is being hailed a football god, but only got meaningful gametime in the latter half of the season, partially due to injuries. It's widely reported that Miller struggled with the playbook and pass pro last season.

Egnew was tried and convicted on Hard Knocks. He got re-sentenced by Omar Kelly with the whole "pu**y" thing. Sure, some fans didn't like him from before that, which is fine. Name me a player that everybody was unanimous about (that only ever happens after the fact when everyone on here scrambles to post "I always said he was a great player").

Arguably Egnew was overdrafted, which is Ireland's responsibility, not Egnew's. He definitely needed to up his conditioning and to relearn the position. But it looks like he's in the process of doing that, while costing us very little and occupying one ninetieth of the roster. If he wasn't applying himself, people would have a right to ask questions, but he is.

I'm happy to be patient with Matthews, Kaddu, Miller, Samuda, Yeatman, Martin, Jamar Taylor, Dion Jordan, Dion Sims, Dallas Thomas, Jelani Jenkins. Hell, I might even be patient with Will Davis (though that last one will be hard). I've had to watch Nolan Carroll, Jimmy Wilson, John Jerry and others be decidedly mediocre on the team for a few years. Why wouldn't I be patient with Egnew? Why would he deserve to be singled out and have higher standards applied to his progression, even as he is demonstrating some kind of progression? I just don't get it.

Usually when it takes time for someone to get on the field, it is due to the competition in front of them. So, who was in front of Egnew last year. Jerod Mastrud....who caught 1 pass in three years with the Dolphins. I know...that's some tough competition there!

There is also something known as a "project" where a player isn't supposed to take the field in their first year

There is also something known as a "project" where a player isn't supposed to take the field in their first year

You draft "projects" in the 3rd round? There was nobody on here after last years' draft that would have told you, "hey, don't expect this 3rd ROUND kid to catch a single pass this year....NOBODY." He only became a "project" after he failed massively last year.

egnew has no trade value right now so that's out the window folks...

You draft "projects" in the 3rd round? There was nobody on here after last years' draft that would have told you, "hey, don't expect this 3rd ROUND kid to catch a single pass this year....NOBODY." He only became a "project" after he failed massively last year.

Actually I think hoops said he wouldn't catch a pass all year but that's only because he is a Egnew hater!

I remember reading after the Senior Bowl how bad Egnew was at blocking, many said he was a project. His athletic skills alone got him up to the 3rd round.
That being said, I think it was worse than anyone expected and things took longer than they wanted. It happens

I don't know why this is always brought up. People on this forum continually bitch about this FO passing on Jimmy Graham and he was selected in the 3rd round. Hell Parcells even made a phone call congratulating the Saints on a great pick. A pick he was scared to make in the 3rd because Graham was a project. People were even pounding the table for the FO to sign Martellus Bennett (2nd round pick with 20 rec. as a rookie) and Jared Cook (3rd round pick with 9 rec. as a rooking) who were both drafted high because of their athletic ability. Now people are bitching because Ireland drafted a project TE, with great athletic ability in the 3rd round yet won't give Egnew the time he may need to develop, SMDA. Is Egnew the answer? I don't know, but lets at least give the kid, who by all accounts has been working his ass of this offseason, a little leeway before labeling him a bust.

Also, most people who follow the draft and college football knew Egnew was a project TE. This was because in the offense that Missouri ran he was continually split out in the slot and didn't have much experience as an inline blocker.

Last edited by a moderator:

Egnew disappointed last year and failed to live up to his draft status. I don't expect a 3rd round to automatically be a starter in year one, but I at least expect them to contribute some during the season. Olivier Vernon, also a 2012 3rd round pick, didn't start but at least contributed 3.5 sacks, 2 blocked kicks and a special teams touchdown. Though there are always exceptions for 3rd round picks contributing such as my expectations for Dallas Thomas this year. I expect Thomas to be a backup this season and only play if there is an injury, with an eye on replacing Incognito in 2013. I expected Egnew to contribute in some way last year.

With all that said, while Egnew so far has disappointed, I am not sure it is fair to completely write him off after one season. Even if that season failed to produce a single statistic. Paul Soliai was considered a bust after THREE seasons in the league with poor play, couldn't stay in shape and numerous team suspensions. A good amount of fans had started to expect he would be released at the end of training camp in 2010. All of a sudden the light went off and this "project" is now a Pro Bowler, a key starter on the defense and one of the better tackles in the league. That is why I can't write Egnew off even when the current outlook doesn't appear good

Yes, you absolutely draft projects in the 3rd round. People have really odd expectations around here.

Wow ... he scored a TD in shells and shorts. Better break out the invitation to ......

profootballhalloffame-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom