ESPN/Walker: "Miami TE Michael Egnew showing strides" | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN/Walker: "Miami TE Michael Egnew showing strides"

Well.............it's almost ludicrous to label a rookie a bust, many a player needed 1-3 years to acclimate to the NFL...time will tell and stories like this, while nice to hear....mean very little.
But, lets face it, we are fans and we like to hear this type of news as part of our escape from the real world and our hope for our favorite football team.

As I say every year ... it doesn't really mean anything until the pads go on and the hitting starts. But, at least we're seeing encouraging signs that point to the athletic ability he had when we drafted him still being there.

We are a team desperate for a size mismatch in the red zone and always looking for seam threats and receivers underneath. While I'd definitely like a true 2-way TE; I will be very happy if Egnew can develop into an asset as a receiving threat.

Pads mean nothing huh? Tell that to Tyrell Sinkfield. or whatever his name was.

I dont know why everyone is so skeptical about a player showing progress....this is great to hear, hope to see Egnew get some PT

Because it happens every single year with every single team, in every single sport. ****ty player performs well in preseason/camps, remains ****ty when real bullets start flying again.

Hope he, Tannehill, and Miller all blow up this year. I met all 3 of them last year at the NFLPA Rookie Premiere last year and they autographed the same hat. It would be nice for them to form a longterm offensive nucleus.

I'm going to say that Sims probably will see more plays this year than Egnew...

well the part you leave out of that is how after we drafted the guy when i voiced my opinion on the prospect after plenty of predraft study mind you cause i do my homework and my utter distaste for his game in the pros both you and slimm told me i didn't know what i was talking about and that i was way off base how it was a great 3rd round pick value and prospect at the position...

so yeah maybe i did take some of that with me when the guy looked like ass in a bucket come camp and preseason...and then did nothing the entire season

Well maybe the guy is a late bloomer after only ONE NFL season. Maybe your evaluation of him was right up to this point of time--BUT just maybe he has turned the corner and he might actually be a decent player? If that is the case would you be happy for him and the team? Or is it more important to be proven "right" to other posters on this board? Just wondering.

Well maybe the guy is a late bloomer after only ONE NFL season. Maybe your evaluation of him was right up to this point of time--BUT just maybe he has turned the corner and he might actually be a decent player? If that is the case would you be happy for him and the team? Or is it more important to be proven "right" to other posters on this board? Just wondering.

i want the best 53 football players...the bottom line to me is winning and who can help me do it...if he can become one of those players and help for the long haul i'll be very happy...doesn't mean i won't discuss his short comings if he has some etc but again the bottom line is w's and difference makers...but i will tell you that i'm pretty much never satisfied...til this team starts hanging lombardi trophies and being a year in and year out contender i never will be...i'm not a settler...

" When the facts change, I change my mind." - John Maynard Keynes

Not all the facts are in yet.

btw, if jmk was the economist, I think he is full of sheet. not the quote

My guy is Dion Sims. pulling for him to catch on big by game 6. If Egnew improves, that's great! but he would have to turn into jimmy graham jr. for me to sign on. like my blocking studs first! that's football.

It's all talk until we see results at actual game time.

Egnew should sue Hardknocks! LOL! it was 50/50 when he got drafted in the 3rd... Since hardknocks and that bid on how he looked like a puppy its been 90% pure hate for that guy... And im not even saying he's going to amount to anything good or even remotely average in the NFL, but I don't expect 3rd rounders to set the world of fire in their rookie year, especially known athletic projects like Egnew.

Pads mean nothing huh? Tell that to Tyrell Sinkfield. or whatever his name was.

Huh?

Please re-read my post, I said:

As I say every year ... it doesn't really mean anything until the pads go on and the hitting starts. But, at least we're seeing encouraging signs that point to the athletic ability he had when we drafted him still being there.

So, obviously, I was saying to temper enthusiasm because while encouraging, it isn't determinative until they start putting the pads on and hitting. So, I'm saying that the pads DO matter.

What I think you're trying to imply, is that it also matters if you aren't good enough even before the pads go on, as in the case of Terrell Sinkfield, who it had been erroneously reported ran a 4.19 forty at his pro day, but in fact did not. He showed that he lacked skills and his speed was nowhere near 4.19, so yeah, he didn't make it to the padded practices.

One small step for a man, one giant step for Egnew, lol.

LD

Devil's advocate on this one just because there isn't anything good on tv....Philbin talking him up to get a trade value? I doubt it, but at least it's something new in the Egnew deb(h)ate.

i want the best 53 football players...the bottom line to me is winning and who can help me do it...if he can become one of those players and help for the long haul i'll be very happy...doesn't mean i won't discuss his short comings if he has some etc but again the bottom line is w's and difference makers...but i will tell you that i'm pretty much never satisfied...til this team starts hanging lombardi trophies and being a year in and year out contender i never will be...i'm not a settler...

Winning cures all! Here's hoping the Fins start to be a legit franchise again!

well the part you leave out of that is how after we drafted the guy when i voiced my opinion on the prospect after plenty of predraft study mind you cause i do my homework and my utter distaste for his game in the pros both you and slimm told me i didn't know what i was talking about and that i was way off base how it was a great 3rd round pick value and prospect at the position...

so yeah maybe i did take some of that with me when the guy looked like ass in a bucket come camp and preseason...and then did nothing the entire season

That's awesome. I'm going to start using that.

Back
Top Bottom