ESPN/Walker: "Miami TE Michael Egnew showing strides" | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN/Walker: "Miami TE Michael Egnew showing strides"

well the part you leave out of that is how after we drafted the guy when i voiced my opinion on the prospect after plenty of predraft study mind you cause i do my homework and my utter distaste for his game in the pros both you and slimm told me i didn't know what i was talking about and that i was way off base how it was a great 3rd round pick value and prospect at the position...

so yeah maybe i did take some of that with me when the guy looked like ass in a bucket come camp and preseason...and then did nothing the entire season

I left it out because it didn't happen. I can't speak for Slimm. I don't know what he said to you. I think you could be confusing the two of us, but that conversation and whatever offenses were offered and/or taken is for you and Slimm to hash out and I'd kindly thank you to leave me out of it. I did not accuse you of not knowing what you're talking about on Michael Egnew. If I stated that I disagree with your assessment of Egnew, and you took insult to my merely having a different opinion than you, that is your problem, not mine.

I left it out because it didn't happen. I can't speak for Slimm. I don't know what he said to you. I think you could be confusing the two of us, but that conversation and whatever offenses were offered and/or taken is for you and Slimm to hash out and I'd kindly thank you to leave me out of it. I did not accuse you of not knowing what you're talking about on Michael Egnew. If I stated that I disagree with your assessment of Egnew, and you took insult to my merely having a different opinion than you, that is your problem, not mine.

that's bs...it's the same thing you guys did when koa misi was drafted as a 34 olb and i said i didn't think he would provide enough edge pass rush to justify a top 50 pick to be that...exact same thing...

that's bs...it's the same thing you guys did when koa misi was drafted as a 34 olb and i said i didn't think he would provide enough edge pass rush to justify a top 50 pick to be that...exact same thing...

You're being paranoid, hoops. I can't speak for Slimm and I don't know why I ever would. The guy has flat out called me a fraud on at least three occasions. And I believe it was you who decided to take a run at me one day and started flaunting Slimm's latest round of referring to me as a fraud, from PM conversations you were having with Slimm while simultaneously arguing with me out in the forums. So why you would have this thing about thinking that I'm ganging up with Slimm to go after you and tell you that you don't know what the hell you're talking about on Michael Egnew or Koa Misi or whatever...I have no idea where that's coming from.

If I disagree with someone, I'm going to explain my opinion and why I disagree. I don't tell people they don't know what the hell they're talking about, etc. I don't offer offense to people unless they've pretty directly offered it to me.

Look...I think the guy will not be a factor if ever in the NFL. However, I will be HAPPY to be proven wrong if this kid turns into a seam threat and opens up the offense.

Mixed martial arts is a great way to get tougher and more disciplined. Looks like Egnew understood he had to get bigger and tougher to be able to compete. Good for him.

As I say every year ... it doesn't really mean anything until the pads go on and the hitting starts. But, at least we're seeing encouraging signs that point to the athletic ability he had when we drafted him still being there.

We are a team desperate for a size mismatch in the red zone and always looking for seam threats and receivers underneath. While I'd definitely like a true 2-way TE; I will be very happy if Egnew can develop into an asset as a receiving threat.

I'm skeptical but this is good news. I'll reserve my judgment until the pads come on. If he continues to develop that's great news.

I was disappointed in Egnew in his rookie year (as we all were). But to read Philibin's endorsement is encouraging because I don't think Philbin is a bull****ter. I take him as a no-nonsense guy who isn't going to sugar coat anything just for the sake boosting a guy's confidence.

well it sure felt that way and i bet walrus would say it read to him as directed at me...bottom line is if the kid proves himself to be worth a damn then give me all the hell you want...but making plays in underwear is not proving anything nor does it really lend to anything once the pads come on...put the pads on and show you belong...if not stop wasting time in my facility

and you can add that cb will davis to my list also...i don't like that player off college tape either...at all...hated both these 3rd round picks when i evaluated them...

That's what I was inferring but I probably shouldn't have, knowing for instance that CK posts on multiple forums (ie, could be referring to a lot of people). Most of all, though, it just couldn't lead anywhere good to say it. The argument that came out of that aspect of my post was predictable in retrospect and I regret it.

Based on his subsequent posts I don't think CK meant his original post the way it came off -- at least to me -- which was that any strongly negative view of Egnew is being based on Hard Knocks and the fact that he didn't play. Those are certainly both data points, the latter being far more significant, at least to me, though not unexpected... but I don't think there are too many people basing their entire opinions on that. Anyone who posts on a Dolphins forum is likely to have read articles where it's been reported Egnew was a dud in the locker room, sulking and generally not respected by anyone. IMO -- regardless of what you thought of Egnew as a prospect -- if you were building sort of a criminal profile of what a draft bust looks like, then Egnew has already checked off a number of those boxes. Not all, but enough for it to be a perfectly natural inference. It's certainly quite a bit harder to have rational reasons to believe in him, at this point.

" When the facts change, I change my mind." - John Maynard Keynes

Not all the facts are in yet.

That's what I was inferring but I probably shouldn't have, knowing for instance that CK posts on multiple forums (ie, could be referring to a lot of people). Most of all, though, it just couldn't lead anywhere good to say it. The argument that came out of that aspect of my post was predictable in retrospect and I regret it.

Based on his subsequent posts I don't think CK meant his original post the way it came off -- at least to me -- which was that any strongly negative view of Egnew is being based on Hard Knocks and the fact that he didn't play. Those are certainly both data points, the latter being far more significant, at least to me, though not unexpected... but I don't think there are too many people basing their entire opinions on that. Anyone who posts on a Dolphins forum is likely to have read articles where it's been reported Egnew was a dud in the locker room, sulking and generally not respected by anyone. IMO -- regardless of what you thought of Egnew as a prospect -- if you were building sort of a criminal profile of what a draft bust looks like, then Egnew has already checked off a number of those boxes. Not all, but enough for it to be a perfectly natural inference. It's certainly quite a bit harder to have rational reasons to believe in him, at this point.

I think that should end whatever this thread degenerated into. Second, Egnew checked off all the boxes for being a bust his rookie season. Right now, I think he's being given an honest chance by this coaching staff, and we'll know if he's a bust or not pretty quick. It didn't take us long to cut our second WR last season, so if he's not showing something in practice, and preseason, he's gone.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

" When the facts change, I change my mind." - John Maynard Keynes

Not all the facts are in yet.

pads, preseason.

I dont know why everyone is so skeptical about a player showing progress....this is great to hear, hope to see Egnew get some PT

Gonna laugh my ass off when this thread goes 11 pages deep.

Could it be a misleading title? I think just catching passes in OTA's is a 'stride' for this kid. I hope he proves himself worthy, but I suspect that we signed a former 1st rounder and drafted another TE for a reason. If training camp was on we wouldn't have all this 'nanny-nanny-boo-boo.

Back
Top Bottom