Espn's James Walker-Dolphins are no quick fix | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Espn's James Walker-Dolphins are no quick fix

I just do not see any improvement with this team. All you people who say we will be better just because we changed coaching staff seem to forget that the defensive side of that staff may be responsible for our good Defense. What if the D takes a step back and the offense doesn't get it done again this year. There are just too many what ifs with the dolphins this season. I can only hope that ireland's previous/present draft classes can show that they are high functioning starters in this league or we will be no better than .500 again this year.

Despite his il-informed and sloppy manner, he makes make some valid points in that article. We did lose a real positive in Nolan and replaced him with another question mark. Although that Denver loss was strictly on the D, so maybe not all that much :idk:

However, gotta believe the Philbin/Sherman addition is gonna end up a disproportionately larger upgrade than what we may be conceding in a defensive coaching change. Losing Marshall is a blow but he did cost us and Moore several games this past season so if we can pick up a stud WR in the draft, that will somewhat offset his loss. And anyway, with his latest shenanigans, as a serial offender, who's to say we'd have had him for a complete season anyway? And I think even the Gloomy Doomers would take "?"'s over Carey and Columbo, so where's the issue there? Especially if Long is once again healthy and another year under Pouncy's belt, whatever final OL we field is bound to be an upgrade! If Thomas can stay healthy and Reggie continue to be used in ways that best exploit his skills, there'll be absolutely nothing wrong with our running game also.

For the last 9 games of the season we played .6663 ball. It's true we didn't beat any winning teams but then again over the same season-closing out stretch, the jest went 5-4 not beating any winning teams and Ryan and his Falcons also went 6-3 beating only TN (which through a last minute fluke turned out to be a winning team). Do I think this team is capable of playing at that level next season? Of course not! But on the other hand if we can cobble together more of a pass rush, even without upgrading the QB position, I do think we're as capable of competing for a divisional wild card as we were the last half of last season where the team - and its QB who may or may not be upgraded actually outperformed 2 of our rivals. Henny Pennying I know can be infectious, but sometimes it's best to step away and think outside the box also.

if you throw something in the garbage, you didn't lose it

Still missing the point...

If you throw your broken refrigerator in the trash and don't replace it, you didn't fully correct the situation, did you? That side is still a hole that needs to be addressed. It was before the offseason started. Hell, it was a problem the minute we signed Colombo. We've only managed to create more needs this offseason. Not gutted, but certainly not improved on the field.

The fix is actually quite simple just score more points than the other team

If you throw your broken refrigerator in the trash and don't replace it, you didn't fully correct the situation, did you? That side is still a hole that needs to be addressed. It was before the offseason started. Hell, it was a problem the minute we signed Colombo. We've only managed to create more needs this offseason. Not gutted, but certainly not improved on the field.
the right side of the line has needed attention for a couple years at least, that's why they moved Carey in the first place. I get that. But that's not the point I'm arguing and so many seem to be missing.
I'm pointing out the half-a$$ effort from the writer and how it affects his credibility. If he can't even get the simple facts right, how can I trust his opinion?

Fools argue the specific details of the article, when at its heart...the truth rings loud and clear. This team sucks. Deal with it. The homers on here talk about the draft like it is somehow magically going to turn this all around after we LOST BIGTIME in free agency. Well, I'll tell you what...the Pats aren't exactly going to sitting back in the draft with their two 1st-rounders...neither is any other team. Every team improves. In order to get better, you have to improve more than the others...and right now we have gone backward not forward. I really love how some of you now slough off Brandon Marshall when last couple years you said he was the best on the team...what jokers!
imo, it's foolish to believe everything you read

you forget that we may have a few underutilized "refrigerators" that may be able to produce well if all used equally in a new system, PLUS the ability to grab a really cheap one at the appliance auction next week! lol

the right side of the line? Colombo was HORRIBLE, a TURNSTYLE. i honestly think whoever we put at right tackle will be an instant upgrade, and im also confident that Murtha has been groomed for the position and may be ready to step up. Right Guard, we'll see where we end up, but really this offseason has been fine. we re-signed our pro-bowl d-lineman. it sucks to have lost langford but he prob was not a necessity in the new system and we are still stacked at d-line.

if the biggest gripe is losing brandon marshall and our horrid right side of the O-Line, i take issue with it being a "disatrous" offseason. Marshall helped by createing double teams - ok. he also dropped a lot of passes, not saying its not a loss, but we also had our best season the last 5 years with Tedd Friggen Ginn as our "#1" . We played pretty good at the end of last season, yes we did have Marshall, but i think philbin can get production out of several different recievers, backs and, tight ends and create just as many mismatches and 1 on 1 matchups just on the system alone, and quite frankly i think most people on this board greatly underestimate Reggie Bush, Brian Hartline, and Anthony Fasano - they have not gotten the looks, but they have produced when called upon, and philbin will maximize all of their potential.

You lost it, its no longer in your possession.

Edit: And naturally, you hang on a single word. Well done! Case dismissed!

Giving something away by choice isn't losing it. You improve by replacing your **** players with ones that are better.

the right side of the line has needed attention for a couple years at least, that's why they moved Carey in the first place. I get that. But that's not the point I'm arguing and so many seem to be missing.
I'm pointing out the half-a$$ effort from the writer and how it affects his credibility. If he can't even get the simple facts right, how can I trust his opinion?
I still don't see the facts you are saying he missed. FACT: We LOST Colombo and Carey. Maybe they weren't allstars but they were better than those sitting on the bench behind them. If you have 3 cars and you need to get to work in one of them, you try them all out and one is better, you are not upgrading your situation by junking that car. If you send it to the junk yard you just LOST that car. Doesn't matter whose decision it was you LOST it. If we bring in Mickey Mouse off the street, he might be better than Colombo, but so far Mickey isn't on the roster. We have yet to UPGRADE the position. With you missing these FACTS you lose credibility, with everything else you say...

Giving something away by choice isn't losing it. You improve by replacing your **** players with ones that are better.
HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT?? Do you still have it?? NO!!!! That means it's GONE, or LOST. If you give your daughter away at a wedding you LOST her, I.E. no longer yours. LOST!!! If you divorce your wife you LOST her, no longer yours, may have been your choice, maybe not, and it doesn't matter. Either way you LOST her. LOST doesn't imply choice rather pro or con.

What is wrong with the word Gutted?? I don't see what is in any way inaccurate about it. Look, at the beginning of the offseason most everyone thought with bringing in the GB coach, that we had the inside track at either Flynn or Peyton. Our QB situation was going to be upgraded, we had a #1 WR and we had the draft and free agency to upgrade the defense and right side of the line. But that isn't the way it played out. We lost out on Peyton, the seahawks got Flynn (which to be honest I was glad about), and we LOST our leading tackler, and two starters on the OL. Now I will admit the two starters were not two game changers but Carey was not that bad IMO. Depending on system, he was about as good as Rich is on the other side, but that isn't the point. The point is we have done NOTHING to replace the holes we had at the end of last season and have managed to add at least two more holes at #1 WR, and saftey, not to mention RT, and RG. Free agency is supposed to make you better, espcially if you are already picking in the top 10 and are bringing in a new system. Where have we gotten better?? NO WHERE!!! To simply say we were gutted so far in the offseason seems to be to be a very NICE way of saying things.

It's like this, the offseason is about aquiring talent. Don't come to me and try to argue the word "GUTTED" by saying we have a better system. That remains to be seen, and more importantly is sidestepping the question. The offseason is about aquiring talent. And that is even on a sliding scale, because it is obviouly a lot harder for a superbowl team to get better than a team picking in the top 10. So lets look at just talent. Take ANY judge you want to use, to do a quick although admittedly not terribly accurate judgement, use Madden. Take our roster and look at our overall rating and then take off Colombo, Carey, Marshall, Bell, and Lankford, and add in our free agent signings and see if it goes up or down!! It WON'T go up. And I know Madden isn't the perfect test, but use any format you chose and our roster hasn't gotten better, it just simply hasn't. It has gotten worse, and not by a little bit. You don't have to like it but it's the truth. Go ask any knowledgable football fan from any other team not pulling for the fins and they will tell you the same thing.

The word "GUTTED" does not render the rest of what the article invalid, no more than the fact that YOU don't understand the word "gutted" is accurate, makes the rest of what you say invalid.

What is wrong with the word Gutted?? I don't see what is in any way inaccurate about it. Look, at the beginning of the offseason most everyone thought with bringing in the GB coach, that we had the inside track at either Flynn or Peyton. Our QB situation was going to be upgraded, we had a #1 WR and we had the draft and free agency to upgrade the defense and right side of the line. But that isn't the way it played out. We lost out on Peyton, the seahawks got Flynn (which to be honest I was glad about), and we LOST our leading tackler, and two starters on the OL. Now I will admit the two starters were not two game changers but Carey was not that bad IMO. Depending on system, he was about as good as Rich is on the other side, but that isn't the point. The point is we have done NOTHING to replace the holes we had at the end of last season and have managed to add at least two more holes at #1 WR, and saftey, not to mention RT, and RG. Free agency is supposed to make you better, espcially if you are already picking in the top 10 and are bringing in a new system. Where have we gotten better?? NO WHERE!!! To simply say we were gutted so far in the offseason seems to be to be a very NICE way of saying things.

It's like this, the offseason is about aquiring talent. Don't come to me and try to argue the word "GUTTED" by saying we have a better system. That remains to be seen, and more importantly is sidestepping the question. The offseason is about aquiring talent. And that is even on a sliding scale, because it is obviouly a lot harder for a superbowl team to get better than a team picking in the top 10. So lets look at just talent. Take ANY judge you want to use, to do a quick although admittedly not terribly accurate judgement, use Madden. Take our roster and look at our overall rating and then take off Colombo, Carey, Marshall, Bell, and Lankford, and add in our free agent signings and see if it goes up or down!! It WON'T go up. And I know Madden isn't the perfect test, but use any format you chose and our roster hasn't gotten better, it just simply hasn't. It has gotten worse, and not by a little bit. You don't have to like it but it's the truth. Go ask any knowledgable football fan from any other team not pulling for the fins and they will tell you the same thing.

The word "GUTTED" does not render the rest of what the article invalid, no more than the fact that YOU don't understand the word "gutted" is accurate, makes the rest of what you say invalid.
I am not going to get into it, because it is a waste of my time to try and prove to you how wrong the term "gutted" is in regards to the Dolphins. It is in no way accurate, so I will leave it as that.

Here is a funny stat, I googled "dolphins gutted roster" and in the first 4 pages of results, there are 7 total matches for the 2012 Dolphins "gutting" the roster. You know what they all have in common? Every single one of them is written by this James Walker guy from ESPN. So where are all these other fans, media, etc. that you claim share this "gutted" term with Walker? lol

Back
Top Bottom