ESPN's McShay has us taking........Mark Ingram | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN's McShay has us taking........Mark Ingram

Well Miami has a helluva lot more at WR than they do behind Misi and Wake rushing the passer.... not to say that WR isn't a position that isn't worth addressing, but it's just the facts...

Misi is plenty explosive... which is why he's turned in a pretty good rookie season...

If anyone can go bonkers for Jerry Hughes and have a top 15 grade on him, there's no way you can't have a top 20 grade on Von Miller unless you just haven't seen the kid play... He's a more explosive pass rusher, with an even BETTER first step, and more versatile as a stand-up defender and dropping into coverage...

A team like Pittsburgh who already had Lamarr Woodley and James Harrison, and chose to take Jason Worilds.. because you can't have enough good pass rushers... and you certainly can't have enough good linebackers if you're going to run a 3-4 defense... which is why they also used a 1st round pick on Lawrence Timmons.... and also a 4th rounder on Thaddeus Gibson right after "burning" a pick on Worilds...

I guarantee you a team like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, or the Jets, would find a way to use a guy like Von Miller...

It doesn't neccessarily boil down to a Mark Ingram versus Von Miller decision anyway... there's so much more that has to be taken into consideration...

Hell, like I said, I'd take Justin Houston over Von Miller anyway... which means I'd automatically take him over Ingram, because after I get rid of Henning, I'd hopefully be structuring an offense with a new OC that relies more on the passing game to move the football and score points, than having to run it 40+ times a game with that Wildcat nonsense anyway...

I'd look for value at the RB position... and address it more with elite speed and playmaking ability than using a 1st round pick on a guy to hand him the rock 30+ times a game, run him into the ground, and only get 5 years out of that investment...

There are some nice OLB's right at the top of the draft - don't see any making it to the 3rd - but your point about RB's is dead on and the one I've been trying to make for a few weeks now. In today's NFL, it's more important to have a RB who can catch the ball out of the backfield and go the distance from anywhere on the field, because real NFL teams don't give the ball to one guy 20+ times. I'd like to see us draft two speed backs.

Also, R. Quinn to me looks like a more physical version of D. Ware.

I noticed that Walterfootball - who has us drafting at the #17 spot - has us passing on all the best OLB's to draft CB B. Harris. I have only watched one UM game this season - the one against Ohio State, but I've heard good things about the kid. Is CB the best direction for the team right now, though? Floyd, Baldwin, and Blackmon were also available). J. Houston falls to #26 and V. Miller to #21. Ayers goes #22.

What I'm saying is that Von Miller is going to get to the quarterback too... right off the bat when one of these teams running a 3-4 takes him and sticks him on the weakside to rush the passer... he makes elite left tackles look flat out silly trying to get out of their stance and kick slide fast enough to combat his speed and quickness... it's a complete mis-match...

The Steelers, Patriots, Ravens, etc... aren't "burning" picks on linebackers every year because they want to take chances... they're doing it because they understand the importance of having a deep, talented, versatile linebacking unit that has to be the backbone of your 3-4 defense...

My view on this has NOTHING to do with Mark Ingram as a prospect or a player... this has to do with competent drafting, and filling team needs via the best route... I'm not convinced taking a RB over an elite pass rusher is the best way to go at the moment for Miami...

I'd take Julio and Marcell Dareus over Mark Ingram too if they were available...

I realize you never liked the Misi pick for some reason... but he's actually one of the few picks I've agreed with over the past decade or so... and still do... Von Miller is flat out more talented and a better athlete than Jerry Hughes was my point...

There's going to be SEVERAL good players available for Miami to choose from in the 1st round that will all address specific needs, or provide significant upgrades... whether it's at CB, WR, TE, OT, OG, C, S, RB, LB, etc... but there's going to positions such as RB, TE, OG, etc.. that Miami is going to be best served addressing beyond the 1st round for various reasons...

Hell, there's no guarantee Mark Ingram even comes off the board in the first 20 picks... I've seen stranger things happen in the draft...

its not that i didn't like misi coming out...i thought he was a late 2 early 3 prospect he was very fluid in lb drills but i had issues with how consistently he'd get to the qb in the pros off of what i saw and i felt he left a lot of plays on the table that he could have made at utah in the stuff i looked at...my issue was using a top 40 pick on the guy...i to this day think he was overdrafted...anyways thats water under the bridge now...although i do think the lack of consistent pass rush is showing itself on his end

as for the cb b harris pick that jay off her doll says walter football has us taking yeah i have issues with him with a top 20 pick right now at least...and i'm no fan of sean smith as many already know...that just doesn't sit very well with me...

guess i need to take a look at walters mock to see how it played out...

ha ha...i took a look and the first thing i'm doing if it plays out like that is trading down... daquan bowers at #2 allen bailey at #9 and jake locker at #10 are too rich for my blood...i know that

knowing our front office we'll end up with stephen paea to add to our d line mix...lol figures

ha ha...i took a look and the first thing i'm doing if it plays out like that is trading down... daquan bowers at #2 allen bailey at #9 and jake locker at #10 are too rich for my blood...i know that

knowing our front office we'll end up with stephen paea to add to our d line mix...lol figures

I was thinking the same thing. I'm liking a lot of the guys drafted in the 20s more than some of the players drafted in the teens. That's the thing, though: unless you're going to draft a franchise QB or one of the blue chip prospects falls into your lap, it makes sense to trade down and take BPA - hopefully not a Guard/Center or DE - because someone always falls.

There are some nice OLB's right at the top of the draft - don't see any making it to the 3rd - but your point about RB's is dead on and the one I've been trying to make for a few weeks now. In today's NFL, it's more important to have a RB who can catch the ball out of the backfield and go the distance from anywhere on the field, because real NFL teams don't give the ball to one guy 20+ times. I'd like to see us draft two speed backs.

Also, R. Quinn to me looks like a more physical version of D. Ware.

I noticed that Walterfootball - who has us drafting at the #17 spot - has us passing on all the best OLB's to draft CB B. Harris. I have only watched one UM game this season - the one against Ohio State, but I've heard good things about the kid. Is CB the best direction for the team right now, though? Floyd, Baldwin, and Blackmon were also available). J. Houston falls to #26 and V. Miller to #21. Ayers goes #22.

Ware is a fairly legitimate, and accurate comparison for Quinn... problem is, we never got the opportunity to see what he looks like as a football player as a junior, compared to how he was as a sophomore...

Teams are going to have to go strictly off of his sophomore tape which will be almost 2 years old... but all they have to do is put on the film where he was running Anthony Castonzo ragged for 4 quarters to get an idea...

The DE/OLB "hybrid" class is going to be so dependent on the underclassmen that declare... redshirt sophomore Aldon Smith would be a 1st rounder if he declares...

Guys like Justin Houston, Robert Quinn, Von Miller, Akeem Ayers, Adrian Robinson, Vinny Curry, Mark Herzlich, Dontay Moch, Kenny Rowe, Jeremy Beal, Wayne Daniels, Brooks Reed, Quentin Davie, Darryl Gamble, Jabaal Sheard, Greg Romeus, Sam Acho, Steven Friday, Markus White, etc.... are all quality prospects that either already play OLB in a 3-4 defense, or project into one if they get drafted by a 3-4 team...

The depth of the class (dependent on the underclassmen that declare) will push some very nice prospects towards the 3rd round, that would normally go in the 2nd round if the underclassmen weren't a factor...

Brandon Harris over Baldwin, Floyd, and Blackmon (all players that I like to varying degrees) makes more sense than you think...

Koi Misi has 24 tackles and 3.5 sacks
M.Roth has 53 tackles and 3.5 sacks
J.Porter has 39 tackles and 5 sacks and 2 forced fumbles
J.Taylor has 28 tackles and 4 sacks and 2 forced fumbles

At least we get to see Matt Roth again this week

Matt Roth has taken a lot more snaps to get his numbers...

Roth has 661 snaps to Misi's 381

If anyone cares about PFF rankings. Misi is ranked 9th, Roth 7th...Wake is 5th (out of 36 OLB's)

Robert Quinn is on my short list of Top 5 favorite prospects as I see it now, strictly in terms of for the Dolphins, and the fits they could make. In fact, I'd be hard pressed to pick anyone over Quinn. The reason is simple, he does flash DeMarcus Ware a lot on the tape he does have. We need pass rushers, first and foremost. Having Misi and Quinn lined up outside, with Wake roaming around all over the place, is the kind of thing that makes Mike Nolan's defense go from really good to potentially elite. This is the kind of move that could allow for a cut of Crowder in the offseason if we feel we can move on, and not require a major upgrade to be made at ILB. The intelligent draft posters on here almost unanimously agree pass rushers hold a premium value, and Quinn presents the most pro ready 3-4 OLB in the draft, IMO. If our first pick is on D, a year after we spent 7 of 8 on D, it BETTER be for an impact player. No picks with guys who are safe picks. I liked the "safe" Odrick pick this past year, but the same type move made for a D player this year and I may lose all faith in this regime.

Idk, Ingram is nice and all, but I'd still like to have Ryan Williams a bit more than him. I have a feeling that Ryan Williams is the next DeAngelo Williams. Very similar running style, even though DeAngelo is a tad shorter.

I agree! I. Think Ryan Williams is gonna be awesome in the NFL. As for Ingram he is good but look at the OL he was running behind. Even Richardson is a beast behind that OL.

I agree! I. Think Ryan Williams is gonna be awesome in the NFL. As for Ingram he is good but look at the OL he was running behind. Even Richardson is a beast behind that OL.

Williams isn't in Ingram's class...and
Trent is better than Mark. Period!!!

Williams isn't in Ingram's class...and
Trent is better than Mark. Period!!!

i don't know about that...trent doesn't have marks feet or vision...trents a hell of a prospect but i don't think he's quite as gifted as mark ingram feet or vision wise...

there's not a back in college football that has mark ingrams vision...at least i haven't seen one

as for robert quinn off the stuff i saw last year i am definitely down with that guy...looks damn good to me

The sad thing about Quinn is that with the Patriots now looking to pick around the 10-12 spot, they will not let this guy get past them and him fall to us.

The sad thing about Quinn is that with the Patriots now looking to pick around the 10-12 spot, they will not let this guy get past them and him fall to us.

yep...i agree with that...if he's gone i could see the pats scooping up mark ingram...either way sucks for us

quinn is the one olb pass rusher i would meke an exception to taking with a top 20 pick in this class...i doubt he gets out of the top 10 though...i have him as top 5 bpa

yep...i agree with that...if he's gone i could see the pats scooping up mark ingram...either way sucks for us

quinn is the one olb pass rusher i would meke an exception to taking with a top 20 pick in this class...i doubt he gets out of the top 10 though...i have him as top 5 bpa

Are any of the receivers worthy of us looking at, if say we are picking at 18? Especially factoring in the decent depth at WR and more glaring needs elsewhere? I think AJ Green is a for sure top 10 pick, and preseason favorites like Julio Jones, Michael Floyd, and Jonathan Baldwin have not done what they were expected to. Me personally, I like Floyd, but only if he were to be a Round 2 selection, which would require us to trade down in Round 1.

Are any of the receivers worthy of us looking at, if say we are picking at 18? Especially factoring in the decent depth at WR and more glaring needs elsewhere? I think AJ Green is a for sure top 10 pick, and preseason favorites like Julio Jones, Michael Floyd, and Jonathan Baldwin have not done what they were expected to. Me personally, I like Floyd, but only if he were to be a Round 2 selection, which would require us to trade down in Round 1.

i haven't really dug that deep into the wr crop yet but i do know that it looks awfully deep to me...in real time looks i have been a fan of floyd also...i also like leonard hankerson a lot...i don't see a dez bryant in this class so far however...

in any trade down scenario i'm all about some kyle rudolph at te also who imo is a top 20 bpa fully healthy...heck i may take him at pick #18 if i know that he's gonna be fully healthy...if i could trade down and still come away with rudolph and hankerson with my top 2 picks i'd be one very happy camper...i know that

"Even Richardson"? I have news for you... Trent Richardson is going to be the best running back prospect to come out since Adrian Peterson... he's going to be a top 10 pick at the RB position.

..and Ryan Williams isn't in Mark Ingram's category. Besides, it's not like Darren Evans and David Wilson haven't produced behind VT's offensive line either...

Back
Top Bottom