Explain the "Jump" Tannehill made in 2016 | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Explain the "Jump" Tannehill made in 2016

My mistake.. he has played with the 32 and 31st worst OLs per PFF in '14 and '15. The fact that he again played with the 30th ranked OL in '16 yet managed to go 8-5 on his way to the playoffs including a 7-1 stretch with stats that would make about 22-24 Qbs envious is ample indication that he rose above terrible OLs and mediocre Ds. I defy you to find anyone other than Russell W who has recently made the playoffs with a terrible rated OL. If Tannehill hadn't gotten injured he might have been the other one.

And again, Dan was at his best when his D was top 10 or top dog. And he had a pretty good OL if I recall LOL

Challenge accepted the 2011 Giants not only made the playoffs but won the Super Bowl with an o-line ranked 31st.

Furthermore Marino with his incredible pocket aware and quick release made his 0-line look a lot better. Kind of how barry sanders made his o-line look better.

Marino's last 3 years his sack% was 3.3 compared to Fielder who had a sack% of 5.4 after immediately taking over.

Last edited:
I think the fact that he's going to be 30 years old soon and has zero playoff stats, makes me feel like we shouldn't like were set at QB. He is basically the Marvin Lewis of QB's.

Give me a break. He got hurt going into the playoffs last season and missed all of this season because of a failure to repair the previous injury. He has zero playoff stats because this team has been a disaster all around him in just about every way you can imagine. From incompetent coaching , horrible receiver play during the first 3 years of his career, horrible offensive line play, mediocre to horrible defenses over the past three seasons, and a bumbling front office. Other than that everything around Tannehill has been perfect. It's amazing he hasn't won 6 super bowls by now.

Challenge accepted the 2011 Giants not only made the playoffs but won the Super Bowl with an o-line ranked 31st.

Furthermore Marino with his incredible pocket aware and quick release made his 0-line look a lot better. Kind of how barry sanders made his o-line look better.

Marino's last 3 years his sack% was 3.3 compared to Fielder who had a sack% of 5.4 after immediately taking over.
So with that being said, you proved that only one team has been able to over come all that adversity and win the Super Bowl.

At no point in time has Ryan Tannehill ever played with the worst or 2nd worst defense in his entire career. He has had no worse than #20th defense

Lets look at comparable defenses.

Brees 2006 (1st year on saints) #13 defense 10-6 playoffs, 2009 13-3 #20 defense Super Bowl , 2011 13-3 #13 defense playoffs.

Dan Marino 1985 12-4 #12 defense playoffs, 1994 10-6 #17 defense playoffs, 1999 9-7 #19 defense playoffs.

Ryan Tannehill 2013 8-8 #8 defense (better than any of the above for Marino and Brees), 2014 8-8 #20 defense (comparable to 2009 Brees and broken 1999 Marino), 2015 6-10 #19 defense (comparable to 1994 Marino) and 2011 brees whose defense gave up 21.2 vs dolphins 24.3.

Seems to me as long as you give Brees and Marino a no worse than top 20 defense they at least make the playoffs or have a winning record. Besides for 1997 and 1987 Marino made the playoffs every time he had a top 20 defense.
Now the standard for a QB in their 2nd and 3rd year is to match the veteran play of all time greats? LOL.

That's fair.. but still an anomaly whereas I don't consider Wilson's bad OLine to be one because of his elusiveness..
And that was 5 years ago for the Giants. Otherwise aside from said Seahawks, I don't see a good QB overcoming a very bad OL. Now again, Tannehill was well on his way to being another outlier, especially over his last 8 games behind a PFF 30th ranked OL. So I do stand by my contention that under Gase's system, once it kicked in, Tannehill was well on his way to becoming a top ten QB and one of the few who would have made it into the postseason with such an abysmal line - you know , the same OL that made him piss blood for a few years.

Man people are so used to have ugly girlfriends for so long (Miami with really bad qbs between Tannehill and Marino), that when you finally find a 5, decent looking chick (Tannehill), you’re scared to even look for an upgrade to find a 9 or a 10 because you've had nothing but the 1-2s for so long lol

Man people are so used to have ugly girlfriends for so long (Miami with really bad qbs between Tannehill and Marino), that when you finally find a 5, decent looking chick (Tannehill), you’re scared to even look for an upgrade to find a 9 or a 10 because you've had nothing but the 1-2s for so long lol

and you say my comparisons are bad

Yeesh

Giants won that super bowl cause Eli played out of his mind in that postseason.

Same thing Flacco did the year the ravens won theirs

And Russ Wilson is only in the playoffs every year cause of that top shelf defense as in all timer level that he’s had the luxury of the last 5 plus years.

It starts showing chinks in the armor and attrition and all the sudden Seattle isn’t the same level threat

I think that QBs who can excel with below average parts around him are a dying breed. Big Ben is kind of a throw back type of QB that might fit that mold. So the question is: what would the Dolphin's have been like if they drafted Ben Rothlisberger? I think MUCH more successful!!! Therefore, since Tannehill is now a health question mark it would be idiotic to not snag a QB high in the draft, like in the first round. I'm a big Tannehill fan but I have to say that even if he comes back better then ever we must start grooming his replacement now ala GB drafting Aaron Rodgers when they had Favre. It's the most important position on the field and the Dolphin's haven't had a QB in the Pro Bowl in quite a stretch, not good enough.

Miami should be emulating NE, but is imitating Cincinnati. Why is it that NE can draft a QB like Garroplo and Miami can't? While I have never liked the Tannehill pick (Ireland's last great desperate act), I can see that he will be here awhile. Yet, why should we settle for Tannehill? At the very least, when there are quality QBs available in the draft, then Miami should draft one if nothing else to either groom Tannehill's replacement or to provide legitimate competition.

Gotta draft a quarterback, Tannehill is mediocre and now also has a bum knee. The time has come.

So with that being said, you proved that only one team has been able to over come all that adversity and win the Super Bowl.

No I proved that the Giants did it in 2011. There could be more for all i know i just knew the giants at the top of my head. The original question was "I defy you to find anyone other than Russell W who has recently made the playoffs with a terrible rated OL." I did just that.

Miami should be emulating NE, but is imitating Cincinnati. Why is it that NE can draft a QB like Garroplo and Miami can't?

LOL

Well, one of the teams has a SB caliber roster with a HOF coach and firmly embedded systems on offense and defense that they have drafted for, for years. The other is a team that has changed coaches like underwear and is constantly trying to create a roster that fits what they want to do. One has had the luxury of numerous extra picks and the other has thrown away picks chasing the next big thing.

Back
Top Bottom