Explain the "Jump" Tannehill made in 2016 | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Explain the "Jump" Tannehill made in 2016

Now the standard for a QB in their 2nd and 3rd year is to match the veteran play of all time greats? LOL.

No the standard is to make the playoffs by year 2 or 3, heck even have a winning season by year 2 or 3. You know like how Wentz has won 13 his 2nd year how Goff won 11 games his 2nd year, how luck won 11 games his 1st 3 years. McNabb won 11 games his 2nd year, Carson Palmer won 11 his 2nd year, Eli Manning won 11 his 2nd year, I could keep going.

Don't have to be an all time great QB just better than mediocre.

Haha I can't believe there are people arguing that we don't need an elite QB if we want a Super Bowl win. Even non-elite ones like Flacco and Manning were playing at an elite level when they won. As much as I like Tannehill I can't see the word "elite" being used to describe him for more than maybe a game or two. And yes, there have been teams to win with an average QB but I would consider those to be the exception more than the rule. If you look at the last 20+ Super Bowls, more often than not the winning team has an elite QB. And of course no one is suggesting that finding an elite QB is even remotely easy, but does that mean we should give up trying?

We aren't the Cleveland Brown since 2009 we have averaged between 6-8 wins besides the outlier year of 2016 in which we won 10. Thats the definition of mediocre. You guys like to act like having a better QB wouldn't make a difference when clearly it would.

SEE 49ers with Jimmy G being winless until he showed up and being 4-0 since he took over. Did the team all of sudden have better coaching, O-line, defense when he showed up or is a QB just that impactful. They were basically battling it out with the Browns for the 1st overall pick this year.

SEE Eagles with Carson Wentz, Eagles had 2 consecutive 7-9 seasons, Wentz improved in year 2 and they have won 13 games this year.

SEE Rams with Jared Goff, Rams had 10 consecutive losing seasons, Goff improved in year 2 and they have 11 wins this year.

A healthy Luck had 3 consecutive 11 win seasons with a defense ranked #21 #9 and #19 and a rushing offense ranked #22, #20, and #22.Chuck Pagano as his head coach, other than that everything around Luck has been perfect. Oh by the way his o-line was ranked #31, #25, and #17.

Before we got Tannehill we won 7, 7 and 6 games with likes of Chad Henne and Matt Moore. Since we got Tannehill he has won 7, 8, 8, 6, and 8. I realize he got hurt in 2016 and the Dolphins won 10 games but he personally won 8 for the year and theres no to know for sure if he would have won 2 of the next 3 games. So what has he added to a team that was winning 7 and 6 games? we went 8-8 twice, and 6-10 his 4th year so he essentially gave us 1 more win. You see those guys above and how many wins their team went up by in year 2.

Heck even this year with Cutler at QB we have won 6 games so far which is in line with what Tannehill has done for us. If you don't think a better QB could do more well than I guess its just a huge coincidence that all those teams above started winning when their QB's started playing better.

Couldn't agree more with you. Well done.

No the standard is to make the playoffs by year 2 or 3, heck even have a winning season by year 2 or 3. You know like how Wentz has won 13 his 2nd year how Goff won 11 games his 2nd year, how luck won 11 games his 1st 3 years. McNabb won 11 games his 2nd year, Carson Palmer won 11 his 2nd year, Eli Manning won 11 his 2nd year, I could keep going.

LOL. #QBwinz

People on hear acting like 8 game is good enough...thill17 plays good when team play good. When team played bad he disappears a lot. That why half off fan do not believe he is winner.

Tannehill's FIRST YEAR with a decent coach 10-6 and playoff appearance. Next?

It's funny none of these posters were around last year when He was balling. Some very transparent posters.

tannehill didnt start the final 3 games. they were 8-5 in his 13 starts, if u want to count the cardinal game even though he didn't finish it and there was no guarantee we win that game even he did.

Yep, Moore's 3/5 for 45 yards are what really won the game. Not Tannehill's 3 TD passes, giving the team 21-10 lead when Moore took over. You're trying too hard to discredit.

Yep, Moore's 3/5 for 45 yards are what really won the game. Not Tannehill's 3 TD passes, giving the team 21-10 lead when Moore took over. You're trying too hard to discredit.
the game was tied. im not saying we won because of moore, all im saying is the game was tied late in the 4th.

if i remember correctly, before tannehill went down in the 3rd,he had 2 turnovers. lets not pretend he was having some phenomenal game before he got hurt.

its time you guys raise your standards, he was the 8th overall pick in 2012, let him start playing like an elite qb. it seems like on this site, every qb we have had in the past, guys who are at the end of there careers, or guys drafted later on, or whomever, are held to way higher standards than the guy who is supposed to be the franchise savior in ryan tannehill.

. #QBwinz

Funny so Dan Marino doesn't have 51 game winning drives? Because I could have sworn phin fans bring that up a lot when discussing his greatness including myself. Yet you go on to credit Tannehill with 10 wins last season in which he only played 8 games interesting, I guess thats your proof of your bias agenda.

I guess it was a huge coincidence the Colts won 10 games with Manning and 2 games without Manning the following year. Definitely no correlation there. No correlation between Jimmy G showing up and winning 4 games on a previously winless team. Teams just happen to win more often when they have a Franchise QB because reasons amiright?

Tannehill's FIRST YEAR with a decent coach 10-6 and playoff appearance. Next?

10-6?? weird I could have sworn he threw 0 passes vs the jets, bill, and patriots. so does that mean he absorbs Matt Moore's 8 TD's he threw in those 3 games? Mat Moores GW drive against the bills is now Tannehill's GW drive? I didn't know the NFL credits backup stats to starters in lieu of injury.

You nor I can say with 100% certainty that he would have won 2 out of the 3 games he did not play in, so yes I credit him with what he did which is win 8 games. If crediting a player for their actual accomplishments and not for fantasy accomplishments than I guess I do have a biased agenda.

So are you going to credit him for this years 6 wins as well? Or are you going to ASSUME like last years 3 final games and credit him with what you think he would have done?

Last edited:
the game was tied. im not saying we won because of moore, all im saying is the game was tied late in the 4th.

if i remember correctly, before tannehill went down in the 3rd,he had 2 turnovers. lets not pretend he was having some phenomenal game before he got hurt.

its time you guys raise your standards, he was the 8th overall pick in 2012, let him start playing like an elite qb. it seems like on this site, every qb we have had in the past, guys who are at the end of there careers, or guys drafted later on, or whomever, are held to way higher standards than the guy who is supposed to be the franchise savior in ryan tannehill.
Talk about trying to hard,
Ryan Tannehill - against Arizona
Comp Att Pct Yds Y/A TD Int Sack YdsL QBRat
15 20 75 195 9.8. 3. 1 1 11 124.0
Give me a break.

Back
Top Bottom