Fins trade for Robert Quinn - 4th round pick and swap of 6ths | Page 17 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins trade for Robert Quinn - 4th round pick and swap of 6ths

So before we get too excited I just looked at this guys sack totals. Last 3 years don’t look “great”. If this is to replace Wake I think we will be disappointed. If the idea is to keep Wake and add Quinn to the mix (perhaps Wake takes a pay cut to stay and we restructure Quinn?) then I like it more.
Look at his role with the Rams.

Hayes was a good player, we traded for last year got hurt is now a free agent and we just gave up a pick that would have been a very cheap young player. This kind of reminds me of the Dave Wanstant years trading later picks for older players. Got to the playoff but we were always up against the cap and those older players were oft injured or 1 to 2 year rentals. Well we have a young Harris.

Hayes was a good player, we traded for last year got hurt is now a free agent and we just gave up a pick that would have been a very cheap young player. This kind of reminds me of the Dave Wanstant years trading later picks for older players. Got to the playoff but we were always up against the cap and those older players were oft injured or 1 to 2 year rentals. Well we have a young Harris.

He's 27. Sorry for the good news.

Here are my initial thoughts:

1. Great value for a contract year guy with elite pass rushing tools. It's a 2 year contract (through 2019) but we can get rid of him after 1, so he knows it's really a contract year.

2. Guys picked in the 4th round are a bit of a longshot. They tend to either be longshot boom or bust prospects, which we can classify Quinn as, or they tend to be journeymen types. Regardless, most don't have long careers or make major impacts on teams. In Quinn, we receive a guy with a greater chance than a typical 4th rounder of making a difference, and with far superior tools and track record. Upside is huge, and IMHO, worth taking a 10M flier on the guy.

3. He's more of a two-way player than Branch, Harris or Wake. We needed to improve vs. the run, and this is a step in the right direction. While Hayes is still the superior run-stuffer, Quinn is solid compared to the rest of our DE's against the run, and his upside is probably higher than all of them, including Wake.

4. Back injury ... is he the same player? Likely not, but if he is recovering, this should be his first completely healthy year. Great year to take a gamble on a guy.

5. William Hayes was a success addition, mixed reviews on Andre Branch, and definitely bad reviews on Mario Williams. All of these guys had some potential ... which type will Quinn be?

6. Salary cap is definitely getting crowded, someone's gotta go. Wake, Hayes, Branch ... one of those guys will be re-negotiated, traded or let go.

7. The Dolphins have had a long history of finding good DL, both drafting collegians and bringing in veterans. I think this may be the next good acquisition.

8. This really frees us up to take the Best Player Available (BPA) in the draft at 11. I had been targeting DE's, but now the field is wide open.

9. While Gase is an offensive guy, we definitely are prioritizing becoming a good defensive team. A huge amount of valuable draft resources, contract re-signings, trades, and Free Agent signings are going into this defense. It needs to be good, because the investment is very substantial.

10. One last question I have .... can he play guard? Because it's starting down the same path as last year ... ignoring our OL weaknesses. We better see some good OL players drafted.

Here are my initial thoughts:

1. Great value for a contract year guy with elite pass rushing tools. It's a 2 year contract (through 2019) but we can get rid of him after 1, so he knows it's really a contract year.

2. Guys picked in the 4th round are a bit of a longshot. They tend to either be longshot boom or bust prospects, which we can classify Quinn as, or they tend to be journeymen types. Regardless, most don't have long careers or make major impacts on teams. In Quinn, we receive a guy with a greater chance than a typical 4th rounder of making a difference, and with far superior tools and track record. Upside is huge, and IMHO, worth taking a 10M flier on the guy.

3. He's more of a two-way player than Branch, Harris or Wake. We needed to improve vs. the run, and this is a step in the right direction. While Hayes is still the superior run-stuffer, Quinn is solid compared to the rest of our DE's against the run, and his upside is probably higher than all of them, including Wake.

4. Back injury ... is he the same player? Likely not, but if he is recovering, this should be his first completely healthy year. Great year to take a gamble on a guy.

5. William Hayes was a success addition, mixed reviews on Andre Branch, and definitely bad reviews on Mario Williams. All of these guys had some potential ... which type will Quinn be?

6. Salary cap is definitely getting crowded, someone's gotta go. Wake, Hayes, Branch ... one of those guys will be re-negotiated, traded or let go.

7. The Dolphins have had a long history of finding good DL, both drafting collegians and bringing in veterans. I think this may be the next good acquisition.

8. This really frees us up to take the Best Player Available (BPA) in the draft at 11. I had been targeting DE's, but now the field is wide open.

9. While Gase is an offensive guy, we definitely are prioritizing becoming a good defensive team. A huge amount of valuable draft resources, contract re-signings, trades, and Free Agent signings are going into this defense. It needs to be good, because the investment is very substantial.

10. One last question I have .... can he play guard? Because it's starting down the same path as last year ... ignoring our OL weaknesses. We better see some good OL players drafted.
I will chug a bottle of fireball if we get Will Hernandez, he is my favorite lineman in the draft

Brain Tumor?
ghy.gif

Can't we just cut Timmons and Thomas for now to get under the cap and still keep Wake, then try to restructure him?

I'm not the biggest fan of our FO but I really can not complain about this deal. Yes I know he was hurt in 15 and 16 but he played every game last year. The guy can be a beast and really all we gave up for him was a 4. How can people not be happy about this? I know there's always a risk but at least he's not coming back from an injury from this past season. If he's healthy then it's totally worth it and if not all we gave up was a 4.

As far as Wake. Please stop talking about restructuring him. If he'll take a pay cut then yes but don't give him yet another year at his age and knowing that he's slowing down.

Ozzy rules!!

I'm not the biggest fan of our FO but I really can not complain about this deal. Yes I know he was hurt in 15 and 16 but he played every game last year. The guy can be a beast and really all we gave up for him was a 4. How can people not be happy about this? I know there's always a risk but at least he's not coming back from an injury from this past season. If he's healthy then it's totally worth it and if not all we gave up was a 4.

As far as Wake. Please stop talking about restructuring him. If he'll take a pay cut then yes but don't give him yet another year at his age and knowing that he's slowing down.

Ozzy rules!!
Wake has not shown any signs of slowing down yet...

btw, not only he has over 60 sacks but 17 PD too? And 20 FF which means this guy gets his hand on the football which this defense really needs. Now get us a LB and then TE,OG and we're looking pretty good

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom