Fins vs Bucs vs Jags. A detailed (and I mean DETAILED) comparison. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Fins vs Bucs vs Jags. A detailed (and I mean DETAILED) comparison.

DolphinDevil28 said:
I'll take this thread one step further. (Not thread-hijacking, Nawlins, just adding to it. :up: )

THE 2006 ALL-FLORIDA TEAM

QB: Daunte Culpepper
RB: Ronnie Brown
RB: Carnell Williams
TE: Randy McMichael
WR: Chris Chambers
WR: Joey Galloway
WR: Matt Jones

LT: Khalif Barnes
LG: Jeno James
C: Rex Hadnot
RG: Davin Joseph
RT: Vernon Carey

DE: Jason Taylor
DT: Marcus Stroud
DT: John Henderson
DE: Simeon Rice

OLB: Derrick Brooks
MLB: Zach Thomas
OLB: Channing Crowder

CB: Ronde Barber
CB: Brian Kelly
NB: Rashean Mathis

SS: Donovan Darius
FS: Toss up between Deon Grant and Jason Allen

K: Olindo Mare
P: Josh Bidwell
NICE! I can't be mad at that at all.

Straztheman said:
So Cadalac is a proven starter and Ronnie isnt?
I said there is no one who COULD BE A LEGIT STARTER BEHIND Ronnie Brown. As in, if Ronnie is unable to go at any point, there is no RW type player to replace him. Morris and Minor are not as good backups as Pearson and Toefield.

cltchperf said:
I don't think it was really about that, becuase that is very debateable, but he's right, because he said rb depth. This true. Jags have the rb who has done more as of now and a talented back with Fred Taylor, but they also had a good backup who did well when Taylor was injured, so great depth. T.B has Caddy, but behind him they also have Pittman. They have an overall better core and depth for rb. I like sammy morris, but Pittman is better than Morris.
Yeah Pittman will run anyone over. He tried to run over his wifes car in Arizona with her and their kids in it. I'll take Morris over Pittman. They are equall talent but people talk about Ricky and pot smokers shouldn't be in the league and give props to someone who puts their children in danger.:shakeno:

Most of that was pretty good.........but I'll bring up some points of contention, just to keep a good thread going.

Kicker/Punter
Miami over Tampa easily on this one.

Punter
Bidwell was 3rd in the league in avg, but only 2.1 yards more than Jones' average. But their NET AVG were nearly identical (Jones-40.9, Bidwell-40.4) and good enough for 3rd and 4th in the league.

But, in the other 2 important stats, % inside the 20 and touchback %, Jones is better by far.

% Inside 20
Jones - 35.2
Bidwell - 26.7

Touchback % (lower is better)
Jones - 8.0%
Bidwell - 14.4% (2nd worst in the league)

Meaning, Jones has the ability to pin the opponent deep, while it doesn't appear to be Bidwell's strong point.

Kickers
They were nearly identical as FG kickers.......84.0% to 83.3%, so either player an edge over .07% doesn't make sense.

But what's that other thing that kickers do?? Oh year, KICKOFF. Just so happens that Mare is the best in the league at this. Bryant, just average. Mare's 16 touchbacks was more than 3x more than Bryants 5.

LB
I'd probably put the Phins over the Jags, but it's close and I may be biased......what I really disagreed with is insinuating that Shelton Quarles is better than Mike Peterson.

G-Force said:
Yeah Pittman will run anyone over. He tried to run over his wifes car in Arizona with her and their kids in it. I'll take Morris over Pittman. They are equall talent but people talk about Ricky and pot smokers shouldn't be in the league and give props to someone who puts their children in danger.:shakeno:

He wasn't bringing all of that into it.

I agree, it sucks that Ricky is suspended for what he did and Pittman still gets to play, but Michael Pittman is a more talented runner than Sammy Morris.

But I really like Sammy Morris as a backup to Ronnie.

Morris and Minor are not as good backups as Pearson and Toefield.
For the most part, true, HOWEVER, word out of mini-camp from FH reports and local media reports is that Morris looks as good as ever. Both in terms of his physical look and how he looked running the ball. Now, of course this is mini-camp minus the pads, but many have reported him looking better than he has in a couple of years. So while this may be true at the moment, I think a few games into the season, this could really change and Morris could be as valuable and good of a backup as Pearson and Toefield.

No way you can compare or put fred taylor above ronnie or caddy,the dude hast played a full season in like 3-4 years

cmon now

Bucs (only because they got pittman as backup and hes good)
Fins(but i still t hink RB is better overall then caddy)
Jags

DolphinDevil28 said:
He wasn't bringing all of that into it.

I agree, it sucks that Ricky is suspended for what he did and Pittman still gets to play, but Michael Pittman is a more talented runner than Sammy Morris.

But I really like Sammy Morris as a backup to Ronnie.
It's really doesn't matter anyway. Who knows Riggs or Harris may be our back-up and be more talented than either. It's all opinions anyway but I will take Sammy over Pittman anyday.

fishfan34 said:
For the most part, true, HOWEVER, word out of mini-camp from FH reports and local media reports is that Morris looks as good as ever. Both in terms of his physical look and how he looked running the ball. Now, of course this is mini-camp minus the pads, but many have reported him looking better than he has in a couple of years. So while this may be true at the moment, I think a few games into the season, this could really change and Morris could be as valuable and good of a backup as Pearson and Toefield.

Well, certainly FH is going to report that Fin players are looking good. Just as Jax sites will report positively on Taylor's off season conditioning. TBO reports that Derek Watson is looking impressive. That's just natural. I'm looking at what they have done in games, not camp.

NawlinsBucFan said:
I saw there was some debate about which Florida team was the best, so I decided to break each team down position by position and score them based on what each player has accomplished thus far in their careers and a realistic projection of the future. Scores will be based on production, upside and depth. Teams will receive a 1 for being the best at that position of the three, 2 for being second, 3 for being third. The team with the lowest final score can lay claim to being the best of Florida’s NFL teams (on paper, anyway).

QB:
1- Fins
2- Jags
3- Bucs
Daunte runs away with this one. Leftwich is one of my favorite guys to watch because of his toughness. Simms has all the tools to be a pro-bowl QB, but the competition here is tough.

RB:
1- Jags
2- Bucs
3- Fins
I know all the Fin fans who think Ronnie Brown is the second coming of either Jim Brown or Jesus are going to stop reading right here to tell me how I’ve lost all credibility, and hurl every insult they can think of my way. But as I said, I’m not just giving points for potential. The Bucs and Jags FAR surpass the Fins in depth at RB. There is no one who can be a legit starter behind Ronnie.

FB:
1- Bucs
2- Jags
3- Fins
The Bucs combo of Alstott/Sowell is easily the best FB tandem of the three. The Fins FBs are not as productive as the Jags’ Greg Jones alone, despite the addition of Fred Beasley AND despite listing RB Sammy Morris as a FB.

WR:
1- Fins
2- Bucs
3- Jags
The Dolphins WR Chris Chambers is the deal sealer here. In the 2-4 slots, the Fins and Bucs are very close in terms of talent, but Chambers is solidly ahead of Galloway. The Jags no longer have anyone close to Chambers and Galloway in terms of experience and production but Matt Jones could be there soon.

TE:
1- Fins
2- Bucs
3- Jags
Again, the Fins take this one fairly easily. McMichaels was either underachieving or underutilized last year, but is still the best of the bunch. The Jags top 2 TEs were out gained by Bucs rookie Alex Smith by 90 yards. Smith is also the second best blocker behind the Jags’ Kyle Brady.

OL:
1- Fins
2- Bucs
3- Jags
This is tough to measure. The Jags finished with the fewest team rushing yards (subtracting QB scrambles) and allowed the second most sacks, but nearly got every QB that played for them KILLED. By contrast, the Fins allowed the fewest sacks and hold a slight edge in rushing, as a team, on the Bucs, who allowed the most sacks by far but did the most to improve their squad.

DE:
1- Fins
2- Bucs
3- Jags
This was painful to type. Simeon Rice is a shade better than Jason Taylor (blasphemy, I know), but the Fins depth at the position with Carter, Bowens and Roth tops even the work horse Spires and star in the making, Dewayne White. The Jags are a distant third.

DT:
1- Jags
2- Fins
3- Bucs
If anyone thinks Traylor and Holliday are on par with Stroud and Henderson, you should get your head examined. Hovan is solid, but Anthony McFarlane is possibly the worst starting DT in the league.

LB:
1- Bucs
2- Jags
3- Fins
Finally, the Bucs cruise on one. The Bucs have the #1, #3 LBs on the board in Brooks, Quarles. Z Thomas gets the nod over Peterson, but Channing Crowder is a slight downgrade from Daryl Smith.

CB:
1- Bucs
2- Jags
3- Fins
Barber and Kelly remain one of the leagues best CB tandems combining for 9 picks and 28 passes defensed in 2005. After years of dominance with Madison and Surtain, CB isn’t exactly a strength for the Fins at the moment, but there is a ton of potential in Allen.

FS:
1- Fins
2- Jags
3- Bucs
See? Even when I think the Bucs have the most talented player at the position (Will Allen), I have to recognize that he is the least experienced of the three. Schulters and Grant are close in talent if not in pure stats, but back-up Bell gives the Fins the edge.

SS:
1- Bucs
2- Fins
3- Jags
I know there are some who will argue this but for my money, Phillips is the most consistent of the three in coverage and run support.

K/P
1- Bucs
2- Fins
3- Jags
What? Orlindo Mare ranked below Matt Bryant? Must be some homer stuff at work here right? Well not exactly. Mare this season missed 5 FGs out of his 30 attempts, good for 83 %. Braynt missed only 4 FGs and squeaks out at 84%. Also, Bucs punter Josh Bidwell is slightly better than youngster Donnie Jones.

Coaching Staff:
1- Bucs
2- Fins
3- Jags
Sorry folks but this one begins and ends with SB 37. Capers and Mularky may be former HCs (the key word there is FORMER) but Gruden and Kiffin have rings. Gruden has coached up a #1 Offense in Oakland and has the weapons to break the top 10 this year while Kiffin has two #1 defenses as well as 10 years in the top 10. And did I mention the rings?

Final score:
Bucs- 25
Fins- 26
Jags- 33

I honestly think that a Dolphins-Buccaneers Super Bowl is VERY possible in the next two years. I know you all want to think that the Bucs suck and the Fins are the best team in the league. I know some of you think the Fins should have a 14 and the Bucs a 42, but I think they really are as close as I’ve scored them, and I will not be the least bit surprised if (when) they both make deep playoff runs.

Ok, for those who haven’t already stopped reading to rip me apart, feel free to do so now. :tongue:
Great write up but I do disagree and not from a homer's stand point but a real Football Fans. Here are my pts.

RB Miami is clearly above the two. Alstott is long gone and old if he is still with the team that is and they jsut have pittman and Caddy. Jags have taylor which is old, injured and not performing anymore. Whose there man behidn them? Drew was it they drafteD? unprove/small, has questions to asnwer. Miami has Morris, very solid, solid back along like pittman but Brown is a tad better then caddy b/c he played less games and got less carries and was about 100 or so yards behind Caddy in yards and RB had far more passes caught and a way better blocker any day of the week on blitzes. AND TECHNICALLY miami still has RW on there team so that in the most technical way if u look at it, puts them head over feet better then either of the two.

FB Barnes is a very good blocker but not as good in the catching department and Beasley is a proven P Bowl FB. Alstott is great but once again, very old and possibly last year if this year wans't his as he was unsure of i believe. Jags I am not too familiar with so I will leave it alone as I lack knowledge in there FB department.

DE miami does have the better group but Rice slightly better then JT was a disapointing opinion. Statistics and a GAME changer shows taht JT is the better DE with a year less of work and stats under his belt and far passed Rice in many cathegories....

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/4151

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/4370

I think Crowder will be an elite LB after the year is done and if he stays healthy.

Coaching staff will definitley be different after this year. A SB is all Gruden has under his pelt, Saban has far more accomplishments in College and shows a lot of promise in the NFL in ONLY his 2nd year in the NFL with a team that was in total **** condition with a lack of talent all over the board at the time he took over.

finsfan_84 said:
No way you can compare or put fred taylor above ronnie or caddy,the dude hast played a full season in like 3-4 years

cmon now

Bucs (only because they got pittman as backup and hes good)
Fins(but i still t hink RB is better overall then caddy)
Jags
Actually none of them has as full time starters or injury free.

NawlinsBucFan said:
Well, certainly FH is going to report that Fin players are looking good. Just as Jax sites will report positively on Taylor's off season conditioning. TBO reports that Derek Watson is looking impressive. That's just natural. I'm looking at what they have done in games, not camp.

look at what morris did the year RW was absent. he was very productive for a line that was worse then a HS teams.

This is too silly.

You might as well have ranked the "heart" or the "hunger" between the 3 teams.

Besides, the ability of a Quarterback is worth 10x more than the ability of a Strong Safety. But not according to this list. Furthermore you spread out difference between the safety positions but not the LB positions, or even the OL in terms of run blocking or pass blocking, etc. Inefficient grading system in so many ways.

Back
Top Bottom